Amitriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

What dose of Amiltriptyline do people use for migraine pain prevention, and how lond did it take for you to know it was starting to work.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello to use Amitriptyaline for Migraine prevention the normal dose is to start at 10mg & increase the dosage from 10mg up to what the Individual requirment is.

Some people can stay on 10mg & the Migraines are under control. If this does not happen then your own Doctor will most probably increase the dose to 25mg.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi, I'm on 50mg now. Still no luck. Got to get to 75mg then I'll be ok or have to give up. It's miserable and a really slow process

Gill

• Posted

Hello , you have to give it at least three weeks to get it in your system, then if you have no improvement you will have to make a further appointment with your Doctor to increase your dose, however if you are now on 50mg it  is a very slow process but, it does pay off in the longrun. You may feel miserable at the moment but, Amitryptaline is a very powerful drug & it takes its time to work, if you feel that after three weeks of being on 50mg does not help you, then up it to 75mg, the only thing is then it makes you quite drugged up & very tired , sluggish & sleepy. It takes its time to work but, when it does it does a terrific job & you will start to feell really well. Amitryptaline is a marvelous drug , it helped me when I needed  it for 20 -30-possibly 40 years, but, when you  wish to come off it again in possibly years to come, as it is very strong to come off, it is very hard with the withdrawal symptoms. Good Luck & Please do not give up, it is worth taking & you will recover in time. From Jackie.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. Do you think there's a chance it could suddenly start working when I get the dose right. It's just that when I went through this process using mirtazipine it was more of a slow gradual improvement, so I had a feeling early on that it would eventually work. That just hasn't happened with this so I'm almost worrying that i could be doing all this for nothing. But I also know i can't afford to give up x

• Posted

Hello, Please do not worry about Amitryptaline, it will definately work for you eventually, everyday you will start to feel better just give it a bit of time.

Time is important, in a few weeks time you will feel better.

Amitrptaline is a very strong drug & it works very well if you take it regular & do not miss a dose. If after three weeks you do not feel well then you must go back to your  Doctor who will put you on a heavier dose, instead of 75mg it will be 100mg, see how it goes. IT WILL BE WORTH IT IN THE END, SO KEEP TRYING      FROM JACKIE

• Posted

Hum, I take a sumatriptan 50 mg tablet when ever I think a migrain is coming, and I also take 20,or 30mg of amitriptyline every evening, depends on how my head is feeling. I have been taking amitriptyline for years. I started getting migrains at the age of 4. I am 56 now, and sometimes I will get symptoms like, my eyes get weird, and I feel drained. I feel off. I will pop 2 naproxen, and if that doesn't work, I will take the sumatriptan tablet. I try to combat it before the pain comes. If the amitriptyline is the only thing they are giving you, then I would think maybe 30-50mg to start off. My sister was taking that for migrains also, and she said she felt so tired. You might want to take at night. The dose I take doesn't make me tried, but I do like my afternoon nap, hahah. I think you should have a migrine pill to take at onset of migrain, besides your daily amitriptyline. If that med doesn't help, or it's too much, they can adjust it. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hello Hun I am off Amityptaline now & on PROZAC & I am feeling fantastic apart fro the terrible sweats, but with time I hope that will go.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.