Need others info on why Effexor is bad for you

Posted , 5 users are following.

Iv heard many wanting to get off Effexor, and in googling I cant find specifics? I really want facts about , feelings, body issues as in the bad way it makes others feel, not facts on components of the drug. It works for me, but I know its the hardest to come off of. Googling, all i found was threads asking how to taper & problems with tapering.

Please someone Id like to know the bad, of this drug. Thx!!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kimmi. I can only tell you about my experience. I started taking Effexor (FX for short) about six month ago. I felt a lot of anxiety and jitteriness, and my stomach was very upset right from the get-go. I began to taper off this past Feb/March, and went down by 2 mgs a week -- considered a very slow taper -- from 37.5 mgs to zero. For about 6 weeks during the taperĀ I was feeling good, lots of energy and my mood was good. Then the big depressions started hitting me and now there are days wehn I can barely get out of bed. I am told this could go on for another 5 or 6 months, but no one really knows. I would caution you that we are all different and our bodies/brains react differently, so your experience might be different. I am a woman, 71, and have been taking antidepressants of one sort or another since the early 1980s. So who knows? Good luck!
  • Posted

I think my biggest issues while on Effexor for years were the sexual side effects of no libido and difficulty orgasming (sorry to be so specific), and the emotional anesthesia that prevented me from feeling love and attachment.  I couldn't feel excitement about anything.  However, I think it also amplified some of my insecurities and I had some overly strong reactions to stress where I would completely fall apart. Suicidal ideation would come at those times.  My husband would remark that I was getting myself too worked up.  This really wasn't like me before meds.

I had ongoing insomnia over the years, never slept solidly on Effexor.  They say it is very activating so I guess that's how it manifested.

So, feeling the bad way too deeply, but not feeling the good, never could feel true joy and excitement.  Motivation suffered, too.

• Posted

Hi Kimmi, 

I'm on 300mg of effexor at the moment, and I have to say, I've actually never felt better. I've noticed that I have around 2 days a week of amplified depression, but I would happily accept 2 days of hell in return for 5 days of happiness which I would've never previously had before. I admit that effexor can make me feel a bit jittery, I sometimes feel sick in the mornings, and although I'm finding it far easier to fall asleep on the drug, I wake up a lot earlier than I would've done beforehand. I do think coming off the drug would be hard, but as I've already said, I don't think effexor is a drug that is 'bad for you'. I think it's one that is a lifesaver for some people, and not good for others, and can't really be classified in simpler terms. Withdrawal effects can be horrible, headaches and nausea and terrible mood swings are the main lows, but I honestly think that if it's a drug that works for you whilst you're on it, then it's worth the eventual withdrawal in the long run. 

• Posted

Oh also thought I should mention, this is definitely a drug that is totally different between patients. I've actually had a really high libido throughout the course of treatment, but have experienced some things which are less common, like I've had pretty hellish and heavy periods whilst on the medication. Hope this all helps 

• Posted

Why only look for the bad, what about the good? I know a lot of people struggle coming off Effexor but I don't think I am one of them. I do have drug side effects but it is difficult to know which drug causes what as I am also on anti-psychotics and epilepsy medication. Anyway I too have trouble orgasming and get terrible sweats when I do anything slightly strenious. I think both of these are down to Effexor. I have also put on a lot of weight but I expect that is down to the anti-psychotics? Overall Effexor has been a good medication for me as although the side effets are bad they are no way as bad as the original symptoms which left me suicidal.

If it is working for you then I would just accept that as a good thing and get on with life. No point in looking for problems that might not be there.

BW, BM.

• Posted

Yea I think my post is being misconstrued. Ive been on effexor on and off for 15 years. Its worked great for me, i could write a book on it. I have ZERO side effects. Contrary to something you said, its known for taking away menapausal heat flashes and has done it for me. The reason i asked the question about "whats bad about Effexor" is because the latest trend among nurses and the public, is saying Effexor is the worst to be on because its notoriouse for being nearly impossible to wean off. IOther than that, I wanted to know why else people are hating on it. As in possibly bad for your liver, etc. Iv been lucky, iv not gained weight. BUT whoever said their labido ROSE......they are lucky and Im jelouse, as its taken mine away. But its helped my depression, and my heat flashes were gone in 24 hours off starting it this last time, 1 year ago. So, there, im being positive. smile scuze my typos, im mobile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.