Large gap between big toe and second toe!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm nearly 6 weeks post op on a minimally invasive bunion surgery to my left foot. I've waited about 30 years to have a nice foot!!

I get my bunion sorted only to have a large V shape gap between my big toe and toe next to it.

I'm gutted as would love to wear pretty sandles. I thought that after having my bunion sorted and looking good I'd be able to wear pretty sandles but oh no. Not with this gap ??

Anyone else suffered this gap?

I'm hoping over time it may close up itself or I'm wondering if I may need some kid of surgery to correct the problem??

Thanks in advance

Gillian

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Massaging the scar and bug and second toe has helped me - I do this everyday and can see a difference.
  • Posted

Hi Gillian! Glad to hear you're doing well!! I too was a little shocked with the big gap when I got my bandages off but couldn't believe how quickly it closed up!! All the other toes (previously squished by the big toe) just moved over and fell into place!!

You will likely still have some swelling though? I am suddenly feeling really good and lots less discomfort at 4-1/2 months post. So happy!

Keep us posted!

Susan

Toronto, Canada

• Posted

Hi... I am 4 weeks and 3 days post op. My doctor gave me these 2 little spacer thingys to put between my toes. He said they need to be there to straighten my big toe and that they will go back together eventually...I still have them there. I don't go back to the doctor till next Thursday for my 6 week check-up. I'm still in the boot and my foot and ankle is swollen. I am walking now in my boot and doing more and more each day I guess that's why it's swollen. I have to keep my boot on until I go to.6 week check up. He said as long as my foot looks good then I will go in an athletic shoe and then if I do good in that I can start driving and go back to work. I can't wait!

Hope this helps you...

• Posted

Hi Diane

Glad you're getting about. I've been driving since week 2 as I have an automatic so no left foot required ??. It was so nice getting about after 2 weeks of lying around!! I'm dreading my right foot getting done tho as I'm sure I won't be driving for 6 weeks and I have school runs to do ??.

So do u have a big gap too??

I'm at hospital tomorrow so hoping they'll say like you said that it will just go back to normal. I'm so disheartened though as I thought once if got it done my foot would look normal!!! Just my luck though to get rid of the unsightly bunion and they have this big gap between my toes.

Yeah my foot gets so swollen during the day! It goes down over night. I just wonder of its the splint and boot making it swollen? My ankle goes swollen too and I'm sure my leg looks bigger than the other one.

Anyway, I'm dreading my appt tomorrow big time. I get my x rays so just nervous they say it's not yet fused back together so the boot stays on. I'm so sick of this boot!!! Fed up of people looking at my foot.

The thing I'm most nervous of above all is my walking for the first time in a proper shoe. I'm so scared it will really hurt. I'm at the hospital on my own too so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi...

Yes i have a gap too. I wish I could drive, I'm going nuts having everyone do everything for me. I'm so use to running myself. Also not working. Ugh I'm still up right now because I can't sleep right with this boot on propped up on pillows. Everyone keeps saying when it's all said and do everything I'm gonna be really happy, so I keep trying to think that way. Lol

Glad u go to the doctors tomorrow. Can u please let me know what they say about your toes? I don't go till next Thursday and I'm curious.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Diane

Of course I will let you know how I get on.

I don't wear my boot on a night! Only for walking. I wasn't actually really ever told when to and not to wear it. After a couple of weeks of wearing it at night I just thought well I'm sure it's only there to walk in surely. So I took it off at night. I reckon it's just for walking and protecting your foot.

Speak tomorrow.

Gillian

• Posted

Honestly your so lucky I went in for same operation and came out with a fusion.

Toe is bent and up at 20 degree angle can't walk barefoot, can't run and can never wear sandals and can't wear virtually any nice shoes as have no joint.

Plus my foot likes like an aliens, I know it's hard but I'd give all money on earth to have a gap and be able to walk properly smile

Chin up

• Posted

Oh my word Jonathan. Bless you. I have to say my big toe and toes now seem raised too but I am just hoping it's part of recovery!!

How come you had to have a fusion? Do you think the op wasn't performed properly?

Were you told this could happen? I'd be absolutely devastated to not be able to run or wear nice shoes!!! If this gap continues I won't be wearing nice sandles. I've been wanting to wear sandles since devolving bunions from a very early age. I waited so long but never fancied the old fashioned way they did it but when I found out about minimally invasive I went for it.

Oh dear, I hope you get sorted. I know it seems quite trivial having a V shaped gap but I just really wanted pretty feet for once.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi,

Well he is supposedly the top orthopaedic surgeon in the uk so was Researched.

I was told fusion a possibility due to deformation of joint. However was told that I could still run etc.

Yeah it's affected me so much I even gave up work cos can't slee with stress and lost all muscle and physique. I'm just 34 years old.

Wearing rocker sole shoes hardly makes you look cool. Il find a way. But I would never ever have surgery again unless it was going to save my life.

Perhaps it's a lesson from the universe to strip me of my vanity??

• Posted

Oh Jonathan. Poor you. Did u get both feet done? Where abouts in country did you get it done. I got mine done in Newcastle. When did you get it done?

Just left foot first then hoping my right foot will be done by end of year but seeing how the left one goes first but if I don't get right one done I will have really odd feet ??.

It's not the op or 6 weeks in a boot it's the recovery getting back to some kind of normality. I get my x ray done tomorrow a day before 6 weeks post op. I'm so dreading walking for the first time in my normal shoe. I think it will be painful so dreading it.

Admittedly it was vanity driving me to get it done. They are big bunions but not really painful so was a risk getting them done! Just fed up of ugly embarrassing feet. Depressing.

Did u have an ankle block with sedation for the op?

Have u spoken much to your surgeon about your problems? I'd be so gutted. I hope it can be sorted in some way. You're so young to be so effected. I'm a few years older than you and although I feel old I'm not lol

• Posted

Just left foot my right foots mint wink

Had done in Surrey.you will be fine you haven't had your joint fused so all they did was straighten it out and remove bunion. I am amazed nhs paid for it for vanity reasons but fair play that they have.

There is nothing that can be done for mine. Itreversible. But one day I believe light will shine through the darkness.

I just have to keep going. Honestly if you saw my foot you would be so happy with yours I guarantee you.

Keep me updated.

smile

• Posted

Strange you only had one bunion. At least you don't have to go thru it again ??. I have to go thru it all again ??.

When I say they wernt really painful they did used to bother me if I used to walk a lot plus finding shoes was a joke!! Plus they were that big they'd have only got worse as I got older and if they ended up like my mams it would have been a travesty to leave them till I got to a certain age. ??

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, very sad to hear this. The surgeon should have informed you, that a fusion will have a great impact on your sport activities. The joint is being made immobile and there for running or any other sports can be difficult. You have been far to young to have a joint fused and should have investigated further. There are other option around, unfortunately not on the NHS. But the surgeon, in my eyes, should have never done the fusion. You are far to young for that. Irresponsiable of him
    • Posted

Hi ,

Guess the damage was so severe. Joint implants don't last more than 5 years so not an option . I will just have to adapt. All I can do otherwise will ruin my life forever

• Posted

Hi Jonathan, first impant we used was 2007 and the guy is still going strong, pofessionelle body builder, so putting a lot of strain on the implant and all this after 10 years nearly. Most people I come across do not recommend a fusion ever, but in your case the only possibility the NHS has to offer. Quite sad really
    • Posted

I was offered a fusion. But decided against it. Maybe in future they will be able to rebuild the joint. I should have thought more but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    • Posted

Sorry lol I was offered implant or fusion but I think due to my joint implant was seen as very risky. I guess it all depends on joint and deformity. I whist have to adapt but this last year has been a very dark time for me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.