Am I suffering from depression?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I'm new to this and felt it was easier to share this online. I'm not actually certain if I am suffering from depression or whether it's just something else but once I've explained hopefully everyone will be able to give me a decent answer.

I seem to go through phases where sometimes I'm fine and then other times I feel down. This sometimes can change in a few days or few weeks. I'm 27 single, still living with my parents. I had a job but quit 3 months ago due to silly things. I have often felt down in the past 2 years though but certainly this year it's struck me the most. I think quitting my job has clearly had an effect on me too as I've still not found a new job yet and part of me wants to give up.

I also feel that I've become very needy in the past few years, for example if someone doesn't reply to me on Facebook or Whatsapp and have clearly read it I seem to get a little frustrated by it. I was never like this before. I also often feel very lonely due to the fact I'm single and I always moan that some of my friends never make an effort with me apart from a few. I rarely seem to go out that much. If I do then it's to play snooker with some mates or go to town etc. Also ever since I left my job no one from that workplace have bothered to contact me apart from like 1 person which has made me feel undervalued too. I also seem to reminise about the past far too much, the days when things used to be good and I was young and somewhat popular.

Are all of these thoughts normal or is this a sign that I am suffering from depression, Any comments are all welcome and appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would say normal yes.  people can feel low and dissatisfied with life in general - that doesnt really mean clinical depression.  It may just be a sign that theres a few thigns in your life that you should address to make you happier.  So unhappy yes like we all are from time to time, but no i wouldnt say depressed
    • Posted

Hello thanks for the comment and that is spot on what you said. I'm hoping I can sort things out in the next few months and then things will be back on track. 

• Posted

Hi Gooner88
    • Posted

Sorry entered too fast, certainly is normal to feel and think like this.

I would suggested explaining how you feel to your gp and let them decide if they think you would benefit from meds or talking therapy.

• Posted

Hello thanks for the comment and I will take your suggestion on board. 
  • Posted

A lot of what you're going through are the consequences of being unemployed. You can also contact your friends from work instead of waiting for them to contact you. You spend your time looking for work,and worrying about not being as popular. You need hobbies and pasttimes and employment

• Posted

Thanks for the comment and I believe you're correct. Most of today I was feeling down but sitting back watching Cricket which is one of my hobbies made me feel a lot better. I think the more busy you are the less you tend to feel affected so it is imperative that I try and keep myself busy.

• Posted

Hello Gooner,

On the up side , it is very refreshing to read a post where someone is so honest about their shortcomings. The problem is  how do you separate this delightful honesty from beating yourself up. I tend to agree with the others, it may be that you would benefit from therapy and for this you would need to see GP. Unemployment can be very demoralising and wreak havoc with self confidence. This will get sorted and you will get back to where you want to be, you have already taken the first step

• Posted

Hello thanks for the comment and I pretty much agree with what you have said. I think what I'll do is give myself a few months to try and sort things out like getting myself a new job and take things from there. If I am still feeling down then I will contact my local GP and see what they suggest.

• Posted

I think you have some self esteem issues because you are out of circulation and lost your job recently.
  • Posted

It sounds like depression and anxiety. The first thing that you can do is speak to a doctor about how you feel. Do you have phone numbers for the people that you worked with? If so, maybe you can call them and get together. Maybe that would help to cheer you up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.