What do I feel? What do I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I am a teenage girl, sixteen to be exact. I'm trying to figure out why I am feeling so awful and I hoped you could help me.

?First of all, nothing's really up in my social life right now. It's just normal, many of my friends are already celebrating their holiday with their parents, but that doesn't mean I couldn't do anything with the ones that are still here.

?Okay, second of all, the way I've been feeling for the past week isn't new to me. It started in December 2015 and it wasn't until April/May 2016 that I started feeling better again. I figured I had just been overreacting and selfpitying for no good reason.

?But now it's back. I don't know why and I don't like it. It's this feeling that makes me want to sit on the couch and lie in my bed all day. I feel tired, bored, like all my energy is drained from my body. I'm withdrawing myself from other people, especially my friends. Telling them I'm sick. Yeah right...

?Meanwhile, my thoughts are rushing. It's almost feels like it's unreal, that I am not the person thinking that, but I am. I feel a bit empty on the inside, like there is nothing there anymore.

?There is still a big part of me that thinks I'm just doing this to myself. That I'm just whining and overreacting and should man up. But I've always been self critical so I don't really know what to do with my judgement anymore. And therefore I figured maybe you guys could help me.

Thanks,

A whiny and highly insecure teenage girl

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Im just about your age, so i understand about the teenage part. My psychiatrist told me that due to puberty, teenage depression is mainly due to chemical imbalances in the brain. Not to discredit what your saying, but thats a huge part of it, scientifically speaking. Self critisism is fine, but you have to remember to not be to hard on yourself. You are a human being and your going to make mistakes. Im extremely critical of myself and i always think i messed up, even when i didnt, so i know that thats hard because you hold yourself to standards. Your not whiney. Whiney wiuld be like 'I dont feel like going out today because i broke a nail and need to cry for the rest of the day.' Thats whiney. Just talk about feelings to family and friends and make them aware that its nothing their doing thats making you sad, its just life right now. If you feel like your getting worse, talk to a professional and get help from them. I hope this helps and you start feeling better!

• Posted

it sounds like you have some symptoms of depression. Go onto  the NHS website and do the test to assess for it and report back to me.
  • Posted

You took a great step by acknowledging and then admitting there is a problem .

yes, sounds like depression/anxiety.

Take that test ...let us know.

It is very common, no worries. There is so much help out there for this.

Find a family member you can trust and open up your feelings to them.

You are not alone.

Hugs, Maggie

• Posted

Yes this does sound very similar, my depression started around this age, i am now 22. First thing is first, welldone for spotting the symptoms and for having the courage to speak out. I am by no means saying that you do have depression, i am not a professional and so i definitey cannot make any sort of educated guess. However your symptoms do sound very similar to my story. 

If i were you, i would get help early, speak to someone. Even if you dont have depression, just having someone objective and outside of your normal circle of friends / family to talk to can be immensely beneficial (in my opinon). Someone to talk to you doesnt know you personally, and who wont judge you, but will offer practical advice.

It is true that the teenage years are rubbish, all those insecurities and emotions going through you can be so exhausting. However it is important to remember that sometimes there is something more than just the effects of puberty. Remember that you are special and a gorgeous young girl, who is just going through a rough patch. The fact that you spoke up about your difficulties in the first place shows that you are a strong character and very brave. 

I wish you all the best in your recovery and pray that things get better for you. Remember, a problem shared is a problem halved, so speak to people you trust and dont suffer in silence.

All the best and take care.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.