What Would You Do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Back in April I underwent the green loght laser for BPH.  Let me state for the record that I DID have BPH.  Even so, I STILL was simptomatic of BPH.  It was determined that an old spinal problem from 2003 had reappeared and the messages to the bladder muscles were not being received.  My doctor put me on self cath 4X per day.  

While on the cath regimine my MD decided to try something else.  He put me on Bethanechol 25 MG 3X per day.  This is a med that in many cases "wakes up" sleeping bladder mucles.

Did it work? DID IT EVER!  I now void regularly and completely and I have a stream that I haven't seen in 40 years!

Here's my quandry:  I will see my MD today and he will see my great progress.  He says I'll parbably be married to this med from now on.  Bur so what?  Diabetics are "married" to insulin, high blood pressure, heart patients, etc are all "maried" to somthing or other.

I have a one year prescription running for caths.  If the doctor doesn't say anything about the caths do I have a moral obligation to mention it?  I was thinking in terms of amassing a "stash" for any possible retention problems.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear you are getting to the root of your problems. I can't say what to do with the catheters. I would probably keep a few for just in case. Do you know how it is... if you have them, you'll never need them. Just curious, what are the potential side effects of the new prescription and are you experiencing any of them?

• Posted

Glad to hear this worked for you - which of the BPH type symtoms did you experience?
  • Posted

I would feel a moral imperative not to keep resources I dont need, but others could use. You would without any concern, retain a small quantity as 'insurance' in case of unexpected problems, but surely if the medicine wears off nd the need for catheters returns, how can there be a problem in resuming catheter supply?

• Posted

Here's my 2 cents.  If you have a few catheters on hand for an emergency, should it occur, I'd have the delivery canceled.  You could always get the prescription reinstated.  No need to waste medical resources, and have a lot of stuff to store that will just get in the way after awhile.  Also, while it may seem a drop in the bucket, every demand we make for a medical service adds to the cost, whether it's paid by private insurance or medicare.

I'm really aware of costs right night, having been totally incontinent since TURP surgery in March of this year.  I've already spent well over $600 for Depends and "Texas condom catheters" that I use occasionally when I need to stay dry for 4 or 5 hours at a time.  My Medicare and secondary insurance are not paying for these supplies.   I've just started a new medication to try to help with the incontinence problem, and it will be around $300 for a month's supply, apparenty not covered by my pharmacy coverage.

• Posted

No moral obligation whatsoever.  Do what you need to do.  You very well may need them in the future.
    • Posted

Saw my MD yesterday and self cathing was mentioned between us in the discussion but he never mentioned canceling the prescription so neither did I.  I gather he's leaving it up to me.

He was quite pleased with my progress so he wrote a prescription for my meds:  A 90 day supply with 3 90 day refills.  In others words a year's supply. 

• Posted

Thanks for mentioning this med. I am going to try it. Not excited about taking pills, but if it works, could be worth it. I had the Itind procedure 4 months ago. At times my stream is very strong, at other times I struggle. So I don't think it is a blockage but something else. I had been diagnosed with an atonic bladder a couple years ago, so maybe this will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.