if you get gout, you will probably get it again. im questioning if there is any relationshipp to PMR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Questioning of there is any relationship with one or pred and the reductions. Ive had a few gout episodes lately, treated with colchesine and wonder if anyone else has this combination.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had pseudo gout in my left knee  - caused by too much calcium - yes they had prescribed me Calichew, which I did not need at all.

I promtply dropped every tablet they had prescribed as 'just in case' and told them, if it happens, we will deal with it.

Nothing happened and no more pseudo gout.

• Posted

I've had problems with gout since 2007, but now that I'm on 20mg of steroids and 300 Allopurinol (was taking 400) a day, absolutely no more episodes. So the steroids are helping that.

• Posted

I had gout over 30 years ago (big toe) and it 'hurt'!!!  It lasted quite a long while, then, unbelievably, it went away.  

About 10 years ago I had a tremendous pain in my foot, couldn't bear to put my foot down.  After 2 days, pain disappeared - couldn't understand it.  Went to doctor and he said pain was caused by crystals.

This has happened 2 or 3 times since, excruciating pain, then it just disappears.

It hasn't affected my PMR or OA (totally different pain)!

• Posted

While having a Gout attack, do not eat meat & drink 8 glasses of water a day to make the Gout go away as quick as possible.  Then when that attack has passed, eat meat only once a day. NO meat based broths since they can cause the crystals in your joints too. Has worked for me for years & I do not need any medications.

• Posted

Thanks much. Sounds like a good plan. I stopped beer too. My attack is leaving.
    • Posted

That's what I do.  The only problem is the 8 glasses of water a day - I never seem to make it!

• Posted

Get a couple of large water bottles (4 cups each) and measure out your allottment every morning  When bored, make a herbal tea, or add some slices of cucumber, or borage flowers.  On the other hand, don't other fluids count?

• Posted

There's some controvesy about tea and coffee - do they count?

• Posted

I have no idea whether they do for gout, which, thankfully so far is beyond my ken.  But I've been reliably informed that coffee and tea do count towards the daily total, as does water content of food!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.