PMR, Prednisone, Knee Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

2-1/2 years int PMR....reduced prednisone down to just almost 7m...been tapering from 7-1/2 for last month using DSNS+ method.

Have had left foot issue for last 1-1/2 years...now left knee s a problem. Slight swelling when I am on my feet too much...suspect regular osteoarthritis...or bilateral capsulitis (googled it), which is common with PMR. Do I need to see my rheumy...or just deal with it as another weird ailment of the disease. Suggestions? Thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have had right foot pain for over 2 months now. X-ray showed nothing. I finally gave up and saw my Rhumy. He upped my Prednizone from 7.5 to 20, 15,10 and 7.5 in a couple weeks. I stay 10 days on each. I finally have found relief. I highly suggest you see your Rhumy. Don't stay in pain.

• Posted

I will do that. Interesting, I have considered upping my prednisone to aid a possible recovery....It feels like reducing the prednisone has created the knee issue.  My rheumy really wants me off the prednisone....what a Clemens!
    • Posted

Every time I go to my Rhumy he wants me to reduce. I'm starting my 4th year on Prednizone. I've had numerous flares since last fall. I've gotten down to 5mg but upped it in Dec after foot surgery and a hysterectomy. My foot was fine for 7 months after my surgery then all of a sudden started hurting. I remember running a bit back in May at an event I was working. I think I aggravated it. The pain moved all over my foot. My podiatrist found nothing. I decided it was inflammation. I believe it was my weak spot and good old PMR decided it would be a fun place to visit. I saw my Rhumy and he agreed. It has taken about 23-24 days to finally feel relief. I was starting to doubt it would work, but I'm finally able to walk comfortably. See the Rhumy and see if he will up the Pred. Give it some time, be patient.

• Posted

Appreciate the details of your foot issues. I have been using the KT tape and it is a life-saver, but doesn't totally control the pain. I have had a podiatrist link at my foot several times because my rheumy does not connect the foot pain to the PMR. My podiatrist said I have navicular tuberousity...something you just deal with. 

• Posted

I wonder if the increased prednisone would "fix" the pain if it wasn't PMR?

• Posted

When I started with pred at 15 mg every ache and pain I'd had for years, back, hips, neck, whatever, went away along with the PMR.  Back came all those additional pains as I got down to the high single figures.  So yes, for some reason, pred does seem to help with a lot of things.  I think a couple of them might have been related to PMR, like the hip pain, or at least so I've heard, but it's not PMR as such, and needs other strategies to deal with once pred dose is only dealing with PMR.

• Posted

That is helpful information!...I want to taper down...but would also like to take more prednisone to deal with the bad leg!☹️  Will continue the taper!
    • Posted

I know sometimes physio is not recommended for PMR, but I wonder if something tageted specifically at your leg issues would help?  I've found some of my various pains over the years have been caused by an imbalance in strength of muscles that work a particular joint.  A physiotherpist could evaluate that, and prescribe (inevitably crashingly boring  rolleyes ) exercises to remedy the situation.  

• Posted

Ironically, right foot flare this summer which got to the point this week where I could barely walk.  Attributed it to an old injury and not PMR.  Now I have to rethink.  Called my Rheumy at 10:37am.  His admin said "I have an opening at 11:20am. Can you make it?"  I arrived at 11:22am

Cortisone shot and seven X-rays. Results coming back today.

• Posted

Will be interesting to see what the X-rays show....and if it is arthritis, is that aggravated by the PMR? Well....of course, I forgot, PMR makes everything worse😊
    • Posted

Good luck Daniel. Had you posted about this a couple weeks ago? I tried to comment but my iPhone just kept kicking me out of the site. Keep me updated as to what the podiatrist says. My Rhumy told me PMR frequently hits your feet. This will be my second time. Just remember it took almost 2 weeks before I started feeling relief. My pain was so bad in my foot I could barely walk, then my left hip started hurting from my limp. It never ends. 😫
    • Posted

FYI. I also got a steroid shot in my foot, but had a terrible flare from it the night I got it. It's my second shot in months and they don't work for me, so don't fret if it doesn't work.

My podiatrist sent me back to my Rhumy. He found nothing! My Rhumy upped me to 20mg for 10 days then reduced.

• Posted

have never had a shot in the foot...but have had SynviscOne shots in both knees since I had meniscus repairs 6 yrs. ago....long before PMR. Last month I had the usual SynviscOne shots..with cortizone added and ended up spotting for a month!! Had everything checked out by OBGYN...it was the CORTIZONE!

Sorry for all the caps...

was your shot CORTIZONE?...or something else?

• Posted

If after these weeks of increased weeks of Prednizone my foot pain comes back, I will be asking for an MRI, but right now I'm somewhat pain free on 10mg. It's worth a try to see if your pain goes away. I just think I aggravated it badly, PMR hit there after that and the inflammation got out of control.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.