PMR AND lower severe back pain ??

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, Ihope everyone is doing better.

My follow up from last mail, I have been on the 40mg of Pred now for 2 weeks, the Dr wanted me to take for 4 weeks, so half way there.

I was told I had PMR about 2 months ago, started on 20 mg Pred then when I got symptoms of GCA they put me on the 40mg a day.

My top half symptoms and hips and pain have eased, also no more temple headaches and sore scap. GCA . so it seems to be working for that.

My problems has been for about 3 weeks severe lower back pain, ( both sides of the gluteus maximus ) I can't stand more than 10 mins, or bend over even my bed. The spasm hit hard and I have to sit or lay down until they ease which is usually within a few minutes, but as soon as I get up within 10 mins they are back. Even standing at the kitchen sink I have to bend forward to ease pain. I have had a xray on my hips, all ok. I have had physio, and last week even had my 1st Bowen Therapy, which helped a little, and am going to try again next week. I do not want to take any strong pain meds for my back with all my other meds.

I can't walk more than 15 mins, and going crazy.

My question is" ? has anyone else experienced severe lower back pain while with PMR and taking the Pred? I would think if it was part of the PMR that the Pred would help also with that pain.? I also have Ostero Arthritis, but that seems to be under control.

My Physio thinks it's tense muscles, but working on them has not helped me much. 

I am seeing my Dr next week and will ask for further investigation, maybe MRI, SCAN, XRAY whatever they do.  

I would appreciate any feedback to my question.

Cheers Dea

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This describes EXACTLY what I have! I thought I was the only one that had such a bad back since nobody else complains quite as much as I could!

Mine is so bad that I can't walk without pushing a trolly or pram (thankfully I have grandbabies or I'd have to push the border collie around and I'm not sure he'd like that too much!) And let's not forget that I'm only 52 and was doing triathlons prior to PMR!

I've been to a physio and have bad exersices, but they reduce me to tears. I also have a weekly massage - it's very painful and not for the fait hearted, but she's starting to loosen me up and I can move more freely for a few days afterwards and it's slowly geting better over time (went backwards recently when I went on holiday and sat in the car for days at a time).

I am going to admit that I take codeine/ paracetomol to deal with it.

• Posted

Sorry about the horrible back pain some of you are having. I am stuck on my foot, leg pain, but appreciate how great it is to have this forum so you don't think you are going crazy!??

• Posted

I over did it with the move in lifting etc and was reducing at the same time. I truly was expecting a flare but i pulled through with just major muscle spasams, arm pains and back pains too.

I was fortunate that i could get in the water ever night to relax the muscles and help the swelling along with some wicked weed my doctor prescribed.

There were a couple of nights on my hands and knees going to the washroom but as i said between an occasional Tylenol 3 and the wicked stuff it sure helped. My back pain was the last to go.

When i told my rumi i take the occasional smoke she said yes it helps with pain and insomnia. Well why didn't she prescribe??

Don't know if any of this helps.

Mariane

• Posted

Hi, Thank you for your reply. Can I ask if you had any back problems prior to PMR ....  and were is the pain ? what did your Physio say it was, muscle tightness? , I get lower back on both sides .

I hope the massage works for you also. Cheers Dea

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I am also thinking about that wicked stuffsmile  It has to relax the spasm and help me sleep. Maybe once they start to reduce me from 40mg of Pred a day my back may get getter....

Cheers Dea

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear of your pain but wanted to tell you i have been having this off and on since Dec.2014. Ifelland thought it was a bruised muscle but after 6 weeks it got worse even though i was having rehab therapy for total knee surgery. I wasaching in sholders and had low grade fever. Went back to rheumy as i had beeb in remisdion for 2 years. Yep it was back. And now i am like you back hurts in lumbar area so it is hard to stand in kitchen to cook breakfast. I wish I had codiene. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. I maytry massage. Thankyou
    • Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear it came back and your pain: Yes try the massage, my last few days have been a little better after a week, I can stand longer etc : going for another massage Monday :  CheerS Dea
    • Posted

I can tell you yesterday was the 2nd day that i slept continuous for over 6 hours vs 2.

Considering what i did yesterday night (dance and hips killed me) im not as bad as i expected today. So its helping me.

Mariane

• Posted

I didn't have a bad back like this... sometimes I'd get a bit sore, but mainly from overdoing things. Not this constant pulling, intense pain - both sides of my lower back. Massage helps, but it is extremely painful at the time.

• Posted

yup, cooking, washing dishes - the worst!!! and I can't walk far because of the pain. It really does make me double over.

Codeine is my "friend'.... unfortunately, we are a litte bit too codependant at the moment... lol

• Posted

Just was writing you a long reply and lost all of it when screen flipped . I do so much appreciate your post and the time it took to answer . I have finally figured out through this forum what it means to over do activity or work. I can only go four hours or so a day and then rest, or i will pay for it with fatigue the next 2-3 days. Even if I am just visiting my husband in the nursing home or going to grocery store ,you all have taught me to take a break. I had a lot of house cleaning chores this week and developed a severe muscle strain in left hip flexor and abductor. I thought I had pulled a muscle and it was getting so bad it was agony to put the emergency brake on in my car. I thought this was the PMR getting worse. I was going to go get blood work because I have been decreasing 1 mg per month very slowly but i took a muscle relaxant and pain med to get through the night. The next am the pain was almost gone and those muscles were all better after one half dose of the med. I think it was just mybody's way of saying slow down. I have bilateral total hips ( done 2008) neverhad a problem like this. The PMR was acting up because i wasn't going easy enough. Or at least i think so no more pain liftng leg into bed and never had a problem walking. Lower back pain is more like fatigued muscles and not muscle spasm. I also find better posture helped. Pat

• Posted

This damned thing really forces us to slow down, and I don't like it one little bit!!

I'm going to try and stand up straighter, I've realised through this conversation that I'm leaning forward more and doing the 'penguin' wobble. It can't be helping.

Can you afford to get a cleaner to help you out?

• Posted

Yes, but it is finding one that is the pro blem!! I have askrd everyone i know if they know someone. I will still keep trying. Thankyou.
  • Posted

I also have exactly the same lower back and buttocks pain. My worst enemy is picking things up off the ground. The RX gave me two hip shots toease pain but the hips are good and it did nothing for back pain. I find it hard to do anyting that involves walking or standing. I take Tramadol on really bad days.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Jo, are you on Pred and what mg a day: I'm just curious to know as I am on 40mg a day at the moment and don't know why it does not help this pain>  I'm the same, I can't stand or walk for to long without pain spasm : 

Cheers Dea 

• Posted

Hi Dea

I started on 20 mg of Pred 18 months ago. Within 2 weeks the pain was reduced by about 70% I have never been pain free and because I have pain in my hands and feet the Dr is still not sure if its PMR or RA. I believe just reading posts on the site that it takes a much higher dose for people with GCA to get releif but I thimk its the same for both. If the Pred does not give releif its time to look at an alternative diagnosis. Unfortunately this could take a long time so one has to be extremely patient. After about 6 months I was more relaxed about it all but still very frustrating. Try not to let it get you down. I swim or float around in the pool which seems to help keep the joints flexible and is relaxing. Joanne

• Posted

Thanks Jo, I have another 1 half weeks on the 40mg Pred then blood, so I am hoping to ween down...  All other pain has gone with the PMR and GCA so far, just the back started, so you may be right, time to have a look at alternative diagnosis...

I am just starting to come to terms with it, I realize now after much study and this site that it's a life change now. I know it will be long term, I was told at least on pred for 2 years... That rocked me, not on this high dose I hope .... but I have slowly come to terms it's not going to just go away fast... I do have a pool here but a little cold now, summer will be here in a few months and I will be in the pool every day like before. I live in far North Queensland Australia smile  Great Summers

Thank you for your information,;   Cheers Dea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.