who share eating time in the evening as a trigger (amongst others)?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have done many trials and errors diet experiments as I know that 90% of my triggers are down to food. I have the usual culprits : monosodium glutame and anything with sulphite which is difficult as those products can come under many names. So a simple biscuit or even half a glass of wine will trigger a migrain for 3 days, 3 days of being a zombie, waking up at night, having problems to express myself, and feeling utterly drained not mentioning the headache and the feeling nauseous... You all know what I mean! In my case migraleve helps which is great as all the triptan medicine does not agree with me. However, I recently found that THE TIME I EAT has a huge impact. So I can have 1 glass of wine at lunch but none at dinner time. I can have an apple any time but NOT AFTER 8pm (I usually go to be at 10.30/11.30). Since I have my main meal at lunch time, stopped eating breakfast and eating light at dinner time, I reduced the amount of migrains treamendously. I can't cut all the additives so I help my liver with Yakult and live yughurt as well as green or white tea and ginger that I crush and pour boiling water with a few drops of honey. I went from having a migraine nearly consistently to the odd occasion. which is great. There are still 10% of triggers I have not identified. In particular, I don't understand why a simple apple for example or a plain yoghurt will still give me a problem if eaten after 8pm. Any ideas please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Acid reflux possibly involved? I have it and you should not eat 3+ hours before bed.

I have it plus migraines.

Laurie

• Posted

thanks for your reply Laurie. I don't get acid reflux as I avoid like plague anything too fatty. That being said, I recently noticed that one of the 1st sign of forthcoming migraine is a bit of acidity in my tummy. I usually get a little of sodium bicarbonate which only treats the symptome but, it's better than nothing.

• Posted

Another thought...maybe gluten products are less processed through your body before bed ... Easier to tolerate if you have them earlier?

Laurie

• Posted

Sorry i don t have any alert set to tell me

i received an answer. I was thinking along the same line. Thanks,

will let u know if it works

• Posted

Hi I was told to avoid dairy , citrus fruit and Red wine, I started on ortriptylone about 3 weeks ago and have so far increased it to two tablets 2 hours before bedtime as roughly 10days after starting on the Nor I started to have the odd dizzy turn again so I am now waiting to see if it helps. Chocolate was another thing I was told to avoid along with salt and Caffien. 
  • Posted

I stay away from yogurt because it is fermented.  And apples because I eat almost no fruit to keep my body from low blood sugar, which is provoked from eating any kind of fruit.  Absolutely no processed sugars allowed.  Check out the low histamine diet and Stanton Migraine Protocol.  I am having success with a combination of both of these.  Very restrictive, but so are daily migraines ; )

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will look into it in particular the stanton migraine protocol that I have not heard of. Fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.