tummy troubles

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 42 yr old female. Between Jan-May of this year I began having a mild pain right of navel with nausea and burning lower stomach. Symptoms would last 3-5 days and reoccur every 2 -3 weeks. In may I got a burning sensation behind navel that lasted for 3 weeks. I pooped effortlessly every 2 -3 days. Poop is light Brown. I had a 2 week bout of constipation it is gone now. Was thinking perimenopausal gastric distress. Ob/gyn thinks I am too young...seeing a gastroenterologist next week. Do you have any idea what is wrong??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ask the gastro doctor about IBS.
    • Posted

Before being diagnosed with IBS I thought I might be peri menopausal as well because I had had some sweats, was getting overly absent minded and  had read that you can get stomach pain with it. However, I was told by the doctor that I was too young.  I'm 43.

• Posted

Hello

Thanks for responding. Did you think it was strange doctor told you you were too young for perimenpause? I told doc they I wad having vaginal dryness, memory lapses, irritability, one episode of palpitations. Have you experienced any of what I experienced I mean with the tummy trouble???

• Posted

I did think it strange because technically you can become perimenopausal anytime from age 40 right up to age 52,  The age of 52 is just an average.  However, although I was getting more absent minded than usual and had a few sweats, my periods were normal and continue to be so.  

My stomach trouble started with constipation, generalised stomach pain that moved around, nausea, and loose stools.  These troubles began during my cycle so I thought it was periods.  After my IBS diagnosis, my stomach symptoms improved and my on off sweats and absent mindedness disappeared.  My doctor asked me about stress levels and I told him that I had had a series of stressful incidents and I was experiencing bad health anxiety because of the delay in diagnosis.  Stress can cause IBS. 

However, I am still alert to any more perimenopause symptoms as well.

• Posted

Thanks. The way you wished me good luck, do you it sounds like there maybe something else wrong with me???

When you went to gastroenterologist did he diagnose you on what your symptoms were or did he do stool sample and colonoscopy??

• Posted

I didn't see a gastroenterologist.  I only saw general doctors who referred me for an ultrasound, celiac testing and did urine analysis. I also had a stool sample taken.  Nothing showed up and only one out of eight doctors recognised my symptoms as IBS.  As I had no red flags. I didn't have a colonoscopy.

Stomach problems can be hard to diagnose.  IBS can only be diagnosed when everything else has been ruled out.  Once you have had more tests, hopefully you will find out more.  It's the waiting for answers and not getting any that is so frustrating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.