Jaundice around wound after Lap Chole

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed several days ago and am now recovering at home.

I noticed my skin looking yellowish in the area surrounding the surgical wound at my belly button.  

Is this something to be concerned about or part of the normal healing process? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, it will be just bruising from the surgery, nothing to worry about! I had the same when I had my appendix removed.
  • Posted

Hi, just bruising. There's always some round the site of surgery wound. It will soon lighten and disappear as the wound heals. rolleyes

• Posted

Yes, bruising, only due to the cut/trauma at the incision location or wherever blood spilled into your skin, which is very normal.

No surgery is without a blood spill since it is a wound, smaller blood vessles inevitably cut and if its a tiny one.

Some spills are bigger, some are smaller.

Our laps always were yellow around the cuts or even 20cm away from it, but locally there, not general whole body.

The blood spill in your skin is broken down during healing,

the beautiful valuable iron taken first and reused, the left over iron free hemoglobin (protein) looks greenish and is broken down further for removal, into blood stream, to liver (then bile), those protein bits look green, then yellow (bilirubin). 

Jaundice is a term to be used when your whole skin everywhere is yellow including your eyeballs since the higher bilirubin level would be in your blood stream, so everywher; it is the same stuff, that causes the yellow colour (bilirubin), but the localisation and reason and amount is very different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.