So tired of not being able to sleep in bed

Posted , 14 users are following.

It's 3.48 in the morning and I'm sat on the edge of the bed yet again, trying to take the pressure off my lower back (it's reminiscent of the arthritis pain I had pre op if I was on my back - couldn't tolerate being on my back then either) I've been sleeping in the recliner downstairs for 6 weeks now and wonder if I've slept there too long which is now affecting my ability to sleep in bed. As I sat here I wonder what I should do...stick it out here so I get used to it or go downstairs again ??

I just cannot stay on my back all night, as I am getting lower back which of course is worse on my operated side.

What kind of mattress is more suitable? I've got a posturpaedic but I've got a soft mattress topper and I wonder if I should take this off and just on the mattress itself.

This is so frustrating I feel like crying!!!

Many thanks

Jacqui

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I totally understand the back pain! I had My RTHR 3 weeks ago and my back is so sore when I try to Sleep! I wish I had a good answer for you! Good luck and I hope someone can help you.

Speedy recovery

Lorrena

• Posted

Good luck and a speedy recovery for you too Lorrena. I think once my back has settled I might try on my side. Until then I'm on the recliner ?? Xx

• Posted

Jacqui, how long post-op are you? If you have permission from your surgeon, can you sleep on your side now? I am extremely sympathetic to you, because I am one year post-op and have been sleeping (or trying to sleep) in my recliner for the last 3 weeks due to injuring my lower back. Everytime I think I can try side sleeping in bed again (I can't sleep on my back either, due to sleep apnea), I re-injure myself a little bit during the day and there's no way I will try it that night. I did try the bed two weeks ago and had so much pain afterwards. Can't even get out of bed by myself, but need help.

I get 5 - 6 hours of interrupted sleep a night, and usually fall asleep sitting up in the afternoon for awhile, too. I have a 3" memory foam topper on my rather uncomfortable mattress. I look forward to side sleeping again.

Is that possible for you?

• Posted

Hi Annie,

I'm just 6 weeks post op....I'm seeing my physio on Tuesday so will ask her then.

Many thanks for your reply ??

Jacqui

• Posted

Hang in there, Jacqui! I finally slept in bed again last night, on my side. Got 5 1/2 hours uninterrupted sleep - heaven! Got up out of bed myself without extra pain, and that was good. Slept another hour in the recliner. Hope I'm getting better. Things still very iffy with my back.

Hope YOU get better and get some answers from your physio.

• Posted

Hi jacqui94204,

I think your sore back is due to a sore back and probably not form your hip.  Even the sorest hips don't stop you sleeping in bed and in fact they are usually better in bed.  I think you need to have your back assessed by a neurosurgeon.  You should not be having this pain which is so detrimental to your sleep.  You can't function with no sleep and sleeping in a chair is like trying to sleep on a long distance flight - nearly impossible.

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks post op and can't sleep on my back either. Like you it caused my lower back to go into spasms, ache and wake me up.  I put up with it as long as I could, but I so needed to get some quality sleep. So, as soon as it would allow me to, I started sleeping on my bad side, with a pillow between my legs.  The quality of my sleep improved 100%.

So, my suggestion is, if you can sleep on your operated side then do so.

• Posted

Thank you so much!!! Yes this is my plan once my back has settled 😊
  • Posted

Oh Jacqui,so srry 2 hear this,have u tried ice/heat packs,can u get some1 2 give u a gentle massage? I know the pain and isolation feels worse in middle of the night,like u i cant sleep on my back,its very frustrating,my bottom is constantly numb,even with pillows!!! Try 2 stay strong,u will get there.....xx
  • Posted

I totally understand I was the same. Have discovered if I put a pillow under my feet and also under my thighs this relieves the pain from my back and I can sleep now. Not sure if this will work for everyone but worth I try. I also have a memory foam mattress topper but it's the pillows that have helped.

• Posted

Hi Jacqui, 

That is terrible .... The way I understand it is that some doctors will tell you to sleep on your back for 6 weeks - 

However, I was allowed to sleep on unoperated side while still in the hospital - I was shown how to put a pillow between my knees, and turn over , making sure that leg on top (operated one) did not cross - 

after staples were removed and I felt comforatble, I could sleep on operated side , also with pillow between knees - that took longer (sensitive) - 

I just had to make sure that I was laying on my back, legs stretched for 30 minutes a couple of times a day ....

Maybe you can try sleeping on your side - not sleeping is worse - 

When is your follow up appointment with your surgeon? 

Don't get too stressed about this, though - try sleeping on your side with pillow between your knees - 

let us know how you are getting on, okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Jacqui - lots of great advice already. I think your PT should be able to advise you about sleep positon, but also re your back. Personally I would also see my GP to get an x-ray done and a prescription for massages to see if this could help with your back. Re sleeping - so many of us really struggle to sleep. I think part of it is the physical reaction to the surgery but also the medications. I really had a hard time sleeping on my back and moved to my side as soon as my surgeon gave me the okay. But having said that, there were times when adopting tat position again actually helped (seemed to help me keep my hips alligned).

Other forum members also helped me with several suggestions: plugging in some music helped relax me, ditto gentle stretches, try focusing on a dark spot in the room (really simple but effective method to fall asleep) and finally, my surge on oKaye using melation in for a shot period to re-establish my sleep pattern.

Good luck. I know how hard this is and I hope you find your own sleep dust soon and remedy for your back.

Gentle hugs,

L

• Posted

Hi Jacqui. I totally sympathize. I find that sleeping on my back hurts and sleeping on my sides is also uncomfortable. I find that the pillow between the knees helps somewhat. I have been having back issues too so my physiotherapy gave me some back exercises to do which helps to relieve and loosen my back. short term sleep meds may help too. 

It can be so frustrating can't it. You want sleep to be your salvation from the pain but you can't find a comfortable position to sleep.

Hugs,

Cathy

• Posted

I found that using the spare bed which had a much firmer mattress was beneficial.

That, and I knew that if I did fidget with sleeping on my back, I wasn't affecting my wife's sleep.

Graham

• Posted

After my op in December, I chose to sleep on the chaise section of my sofa as no one had ever used it (the other part faces the TV). It was nice and firm and I was able to line the back with cushions. In addition, I had the advantage of being close to the coffee table, which housed all of my medication, creams, snacks and remotes. I got very, very comfortable, even though nights without broken sleep did not happen.

I am only a little ashamed to admit I'm still there. We've had a stream of visitors from out of state, so every time I thought of moving back into my bedroom I had to postpone it and get the room ready for the guests. I was ready to go back into the cold and dark recently when another relative phoned to say he needed to come and stay soon for a visa interview with an embassy in my city. So I'll happily camp out with my heater and my TV for a few more weeks.

I change positions frequently each night. I mostly sleep on my non-op side with my back against the cushions. If I roll onto my back, I'll raise the knee of my op leg and press it against a cushion. I sometimes roll onto the op side or my stomach. I have slept that way, but mentally am still a bit wary of it so it's hard to sleep that way for long. In any case, my age dictates that I'm going to wake and need to pee several times during the night so unbroken sleep just ain't gonna happen.

My advice is to just go for comfort wherever you find it. I don't know if there's a husband expecting you to share a bed or if you're independent. But either way, you are going to have some broken sleep, so ensure you are as cosy as possible and try to not cry over it. If I really can't sleep, I'll either study, work or watch TV for a while and then go back to bed for a few more hours... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.