I have had severe bowel problems for a month now

Posted , 4 users are following.

It includes abdominal pain on my right side.diarreha,severe constipation, nausea .i am so confused about what could be wrong I am at my wits end. My GP  is involved but I feel terrible sitting on the loo most nights with cramps and unable to go to the loo most times. Can anyone give me some advice?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would ask your doctor for tests and keep a food diary.  Ask about IBS.  Does your pain move about?
    • Posted

I was so bad last night I sat on the loo all night and still could not go.i need a new knee and have received a appointment to have op soon can't be having all that as well so off to doctors yet again Monday. Thank you so much for your reply

• Posted

When you have severe constipation, you need to address it asap.

(Diarrhea is often just an overflow due to constipation).

Not with cramping laxatives, but with stool softeners like 'Movicol' if need be. They keep liquid in the guts, not attracking liquid out of system or contracting muscles. You don't need anymore pain.

Also get a squat position on toilet (internet). Feet up, on toilet rolls or there are special stools to put feet on.

Be careful with fiber, don't take fiber supplements, that you buy at pharmacies, as they make symptoms worse when you take especially soluble fiber in this situation.

Keep drinking lots of fluids, water, herbal teas. You need to stay very hydrated.

Best of luck! Constipation can hurt massively. And yes keep in close contact with your doc please.

• Posted

Dear Saunya, thank you so much for the information as last night I had no sleep again and sat on the loo all night. Really appreciate your help with my problem
    • Posted

Oh, what a horrid night.

I just hope you get better very soon and that it never get's to this point again, if it was due to constipation. Hope your doc can help too and confirm constipation as reason only (did you get a plain x-ray? It shows fecal loading or if something was dilated with air and indicated partial obstruction).

Nope, you don't need that prior an op at all since an operation throws your intestine function into havoc post operatively anyway due to anaesthesia and different ability of movement.

ALL THE BEST!

• Posted

Thank you Sanya. Had better 2 days so far still have problems but not like the nights I have had previously . Going to see my really great GP and hope she can advise me on the op and find out  what's wrong. Really appreciate your advise time and trouble. Thank you so much.

• Posted

No trouble at all!

I appreaciate any updates very much!

Hope you get better every day,

keep well hydrated and monitor your bowel habits well. (docs always ask very precise questions as to when what how, I can never remember, I have to write it down)

Try to stay on the 'soft' stool side and if it was with Movicol kind of products (not senna or so please) until you find the remedy for you.

(A juicer it was for me, fresh carrot, apple and whatever else I can find in the basket, often some veggies as well; I have no fructose malabsorbtion, can eat it all)

All the best! Yes, I hope your GP can give you a definite answer and help.

• Posted

Something just came into my mind when reading about your daughter.  There was a recent case in Britain of a girl who had the same severe stomach pains as your daughter.  No one has yet found a cause and she was being monitored in Great Ormond Street hospital.  All they have able to do thus far is give her pain relief.
    • Posted

Thank you, keep me posted if they find anything. Narcotics are the only occasional help for my daughter, neuropathic pain treatment not working so far, but finally a pelvis MRI is scheduled....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.