Has anyone had steroid injections to delay THR

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi,  I am thinking of asking my GP if I can have a steroid injection so I can delay THR for a while.  Has anyone else had this done & did it relieve the pain for a while

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, I've had 2 of these in the 18 months before my THR this year. The first one improved things about 50% the second one was less successful but I think my hip was too far gone by then. I would say its worth a try.

Good luck!!

• Posted

hi,

i had an injection, roughly 8 months prior to thr.

it worked, in as much as it gave considerable pain relief. but the downside was, my hip was still deteriorating. But i was able to maintain a healthy and very active life, in the run up to the op. i heope that this will have helped speed up my recovery.

best of luck.

chris

• Posted

I had one about 9 months prior to op. It worked brilliantly for 6 weeks. No pain! Then the pain came back worse than before. I had another about 3 months later but that did nothing. It is worth giving a go, but as the others have said, the hip is still getting bad.
  • Posted

Veronica,

I had them every 3 months for almost 3 years. I am a welder in the construction industry. They helped a great deal for the first year and a half I would get about 8 to 10 good weeks. The last year not so good and the last couple times just helped a little with sleep but nothing when working. I've herd they can speed up the wearing of the joint. Mine was pretty bad and I waited to long for the surgery. If I'd have known how good I was going to feel I would have had it done much sooner. Good luck. Regards. Red

• Posted

Yes, I did, it worked for 3 months. Then the pain came back full force. 4 weeks post op this Monday
  • Posted

Hi Veronica, 

I have not had steriod injection in hip but in elbow (tendonitis) - the injection it self was very painful (done by OS) and it didn't help at all --- 

In a previous post you mentioned that both your hips need surgery - 

I know it is a very scary thought but what is the alternative ?  

Wishing you strenght in making the decision ...

light and love send

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Just one cautionary note that this might not be a good option if you also have osteoporosis. But I am sure your GP would raise this.

😊

L

• Posted

Veronica, just FYI, if you do have a steroid injection, they usually won't do a hip replacement until 3 months after the injection. It might help and it might not. It might help for a fairly long time (months) or just a short while. I've seen all of these results reported by people on hip replacement forums. There are possible complications from steroid injections, as there are from all medical interventions, so be sure to read up on them before you make a final decision.

• Posted

I had an injection in my hip , 

it did not work, pain actually got worse , I had THR 5 weeks after my injection.

that decision may vary between doctors 

• Posted

Yikes, your pain got worse! Glad you were able to get the THR that soon afterwards. It's true that these doctors have wildly different rules and opinions about all aspects of hip replacement, isn't it!

• Posted

I was in excruciating pain, 

i am 5 weeks post replacement , it has been an ordeal , but still made the correct choice , am sitting here with ice on my hip as i type this 

am am currently using a walker most of the time , but am able to use cane 

still a lot of muscle pain, from being cut .

but much better than before surgery 

I had a great Doctor .

when I experienced pain in my left hip a little over a year ago , the first Doctor wanted me to have replacement right away .

i got a second opinion , that when I was given the injection by my current Doctor , still no pain in my left hip , and injection was almost a year ago 

too bad it didn't solve my issue in my right hip tho 

they found cartilage that had broken off and was wrapped around my hip bone , that's why the injection didn't help 

• Posted

I had the injection in my left hip 11 months ago 

have had no issues or pain since 

injection in left hip, 4 months ago did not work, I had total hip replacement in that hip 

i woukd recommend trying the injections 

• Posted

Hi. I had several over 3-4 yrs before HR two weeks ago, the first 2-3 were very helpful and gave me great pain relief over 6-9 months at a time, however the last 1-2 didn't have any affect at all, remember although you are getting relief from the injection the joint is gradually still getting worse and so eventually the joint is so worn they no longer work. So if your joint is only giving occasional pain you should find them benificial to delay the inevitable for a good while. The injection I refer to is directly into the hip joint under ultrasound.

• Posted

My Rheumo suggested that injections might help me. Very worn out hip joints, and bone on bone pain, so I asked her how it worked, and she explained that the injection when into the space between the bones, I burst out laughing, my x-rays were up on her wall display unit, showing I had no space between bones, and i said what space between bones.

She backed down at that point, I must admit I wasn't very polite, my laugh and comment I think offended her. DUHHHHH she the one with the medical degree, maybe she should have used her knowledge. Sorry i get very annoyed when I seem to know more than they do, also for my husband with his heart failure, told there is nothing wrong when I know there is an issue, that in the end my fears proves to be true and junior Dr's being told off by consultant in front of us.

• Posted

Thank you all for your comments.  I do need both hips done and fortunately don't have osteoporosis or bone on bone pain  My surgeon wants to do the hip with hardly any pain first as clinically worse so thought I'd ask for steroid injection into hip with pain so I have little or no pain in that hip when I have the other one done.

• Posted

Hi.

I think from what you say that you would get benefit from the injection, good luck with it and the hip replacement.

Graham.

• Posted

My surgeon looked at both my hips and said the left one was worse than the right. But the right one gave me a stabbing sharp pain at times when the left was just a dull ache.

He let me choose which one first, and I'm glad I picked the right one, because the stabbing pain would have been be too much when recovering. Remember that you will rely on the non operated hip and leg more during recovery, so I would push back on the Doctor and do the one that is giving you the most trouble first.

• Posted

Oh and my surgeon said " that's why we ask the patient, which one is worse, because the x rays tell me one thing, but you are living with it."

• Posted

Exactly. My right hip was worse than my left, but I am left handed and left footed so rely in this side more, so I opted to have the left done first. So glad I did, it's wonderful now seven months post op and I'll have a good support for my right leg when that hip is replaced next month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.