activities post THR

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi,

one of my main reasons for having THR is a return to sport, within reason.

im keen to know what sporting activities people are doing post THR and how soon you were able to return and with what level of commitment/participation.

im particularly keen to hear from anyone who has returned to playing football and, or  light contact,  touch rugby.

best wishes,

chris

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

By football, do you mean soccer ?

I had my first THR, in January 2013. and I started playing deckhockey/streethockey (pick up games) in Dec of 2013.  Deckhockey/streethockey is just like ice hockey except there is no ice and we run (no skates).  There is some contact.  My surgeon told me not to play in a league (more contact).  I was still playing up until this past December, but I sprained ankle really badly playing tennis.  i could have gone back to hockey but with my other hip going downhill & it was getting more difficult to play up to my standards.

Approx 3-4 months post op, I was playing tennis/raquetball, and I was playing as hard as I could. 3/week.

On Monday 7/25, I will have my other hip replaced, yuck !  I just want to start my rehab and be done with this.  I hope to perhaps play hockey again in July 2017.

Of course, your surgeon is who you have to listen to.

Good Luck !!!!!

• Posted

It went really well.  I feel like my leg is about 75% now !

Thanks biggrin

• Posted

I'm just 5 weeks post op so not doing any sports.  I was playing tons of pickleball before my surgery (actually had to stop about a year before surgery because of the pain when I tried to play).  I would love to get back to it at some point.   I was interested in Rich's response that he was playing tennis/raquet ball at 3-4 months.    For me, probably not as strong/fit as Rich, I bet it will be more like 6-12 months.      Anyway, will be interested to hear what others have done.

• Posted

I was 52 when I had my first THR, and I was in excellent shape.  I was able to keep playing my sports until the night before surgery (pick up hockey game).  I had a really bad limp but I was able to play, with the aid of advil.

I guess, I was able to play so soon after surgery due to my fitness level.  My post op was perfect and I was rehabbing 6 days a week.  I had the blessing of the surgeon to start playing again.

Have a great day !!

• Posted

Hey Rich, thanks for contributing. I'm 53 and had my THR on May 26. Had really good recovery with good pt. I'm curious what your surgeon told you. I play ice hockey and my surgeon said that he couldn't recomend that I go back to playing, but acknowledge that I was probaly going to do it. Same goes for running etc. Basically he said I'll just wear it out faster. Is this what you were told?

I like to lift too, so this has been a real downer. Of course I was rapidly loosing my ability to do those things anyway so the choice was clear. 

• Posted

He said to not take up any new sports.  As i stated above, he said the league was not a good idea due to the contact.  I sold him on the fact that pick up had much less contact than league games, which is pretty much the truth.  I was ok with not playing in the league, where I was competing against guys on the avg 20 yrs younger than me.

I think he said to only play doubles in tennis, but I am not listening to that.  I lift a bit (hate it), nothing was said about that.

I really do not recall what he said about my new parts wearing out.  My goal is to possibly play hockey in July 2017, I am not sure if that is a realistic goal.  If I played Ice hockey that might be a different story, ice is much easier on ones joints/body.  Why dont you just play pick up games ???

I have my 2 week check up on Tues, I am not going to push the sports yet.

One thing that did concern me  is the surgeon told my wiife post operation is that my precautions are for 12 weeks, not 7 like that last time.  I am wondering if he meant I can start playing sports in 12 weeks !!

Good Luck  !!  Get back to me on here, I am curious as to how things go !!

I am bored as crap !!!  No work for me until at least mid Sept !!

• Posted

Hi - I am interested in the answers as well, to see the breadth of activities but also to hear how pepole are factoring in the tradeoffs between wear and tear on the joint with life of the prosthetic.

I am 5 months post but getting my second hip in September, so not into any sports yet. And to be honest, likely to stick to swimming, cross country skiing and hiking as my physical activities - partly by inclination but also to preserve my hips. I am 64 and would like them to last as long as possible or at least until technology makes it easier to replace them.

L

• Posted

Hello. I am another curious one about the return to sports activities as I am 14 weeks post op. Hiking seems to be up and down in terms of my comfort and stamina levels. Yesterday, I was feeling good. Went to a Pig roast outdoor Pickleball fun tournament. I was mostly spectating. Tried out Pickleball playing on half court and having people hit the ball to me. Played for about 10 minutes. Managed to get shots and even reach for some. Think it will be longer, not sure maybe 2 months before I see myself easing back into playing regularly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.