Lose weight before hip replacement

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have been putting on weight since having pain in my groin since last October.  I saw my GP was referred to a consultant only to be told I need a hip replacement. Since October I have put on nearly 2 stone in weight due to poor mobility. Any advice on best way to lose it in 2 months? Thank you 😃

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Sara

My experience is that imobility is not the main problem.It's the food!

I had got to about 11 stone give or take a couple of pounds and was assured this was inevitable at my age ever since my late 50s.

A chance comment on TV to the effect that women generally increase a dress size with each decade, but age has nothing to do with it and anyone can lose weight.This was about 2 years ago.

I decided to go for it and I am now 9.Stone and feeling much happier at age 80.

No faddy dieting is the answer, but a permanent change in eating habits.

I now eat only natural whole foods,nothing with additives, no ready meals,no meat fish or eggs.

Just masses of veg in every variety of shape and colour. Plenty of potatoes (especially sweet) rice, pasta ,and lots of legumes,( beans,lentils etc.)

Lots of fruit and salads, A lot of spinach and avacados.

It works for me!

Good luck.

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Sara, 

warm welcome to this wonderful hippies forum where personal stories and experiences are shared ....

I wish, really wish, I could give you the perfect answer - Unfortunately, and sadly I have gained a lot of weight over the year(s) preceeding THR surgery - 

I believe it is the decline of mobility - not being able to do physical things painfree took its toll - slowly, gradually, but surely -

I lost a couple of kilos before my 1st THR through exercising but had to stop as it became too painful - 

I am  in the process of making peace with myself regarding the plumpness .... my body went through2 THR surgeries and is slowly gaining more strength and energy --

I will follow this discussion though ...

Joy, I am happy it is working for you --- I wish my weight thing was food related ......

Sara, when is your THR surgery scheduled for?

big warm hug \renee

• Posted

Hi Joy thanks for your reply. I do eat very healthily ie no processed foods lots of friut and veg love sweet potato. Apart from a Saturday when I go out for lunch!!

i wondered if it was the medication. 

• Posted

Hi Renee

thank you for replying. I'm not sure when mine will be done. I was told in March I needed one but as the pain wasn't constant & I was 57 I found it hard to believe it so opted for a steroid injection which I had in May. It was great but sadly only lasted 9 yes 9 days. I'm now in absolute agony taking all kinds of painkillers including morphine. I Saw consultant 2 weeks ago & am now on the waiting list.  I can't even walk my dog anymore. My exercise routine is just around the house. But I do have a healthy diet & would feel better if I could lose some weight. I don't have any medical/health problems apart from my hip!! It's really getting me down. 

• Posted

I think medication has a lot to do with it too - weight gain (sometimes Rapid) is  listed as a  side effect but so is weight loss rolleyes - 

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain --- 

Try to keep your self as fit as possible - I tried and found it very challenging when in so much pain  --- no use beating yourself up though - 

For some reason men, the male population, are able to lose weight easier than us ....

Wishing you a lot of strength and peace of mind - remember that all is well - 

please keep us posted on how you are doing, okay?   

• Posted

Hi joy

My portion sizes couldn't be cut any less. I take 1500 calories a day. I don't eat processed foods or red meat. I eat fish chicken vegetables except potato I eat sweet potato instead. I don't eat many carbs as unused they're stored in the body as fat. I'm 178cm tall (if I could stand up straight) am sure it's immobility that's the problem with me I think.

Kindest regards Sara

• Posted

Hi Renee

Thank you for your support. I've only been on the waiting list 2 weeks as I was in denial initially. So not sure when it will be done.

Kindest regards Sara

• Posted

Meant to say also stay away from all processed foods.( the word processed escaped me before) 

Often find myself unable to find the word I need.It seems the brain is cluttered with too much rubbish,much like an overstuffed filing cabinet.

(The word comes when I stop looking for it.)

Also give all junk food outlets a miss!!

• Posted

Hi Sara,

First off - a big hug. I definitely agree with your goal but adding pressure to yourself before this operation may not be the best timing. Starting the change in philosophy ... oh yes, but major weight loss likely not.

Having said that, there is no doubt less weight would make recovery easier.

I lost 40 pounds about 8 years ago. I think the key ingredients were: drinking lots of water (8-10 glasses per day), eating a protein breakfast every day (usually involving Greek yogourt , fruit and cereal or steel cut oatmeal, but not exclusively), decreasing portion sizes and increasing the proportion of veggies and fruit to meat and carbs, and increasing my activity levels (walking a lot and a gym workout - now I might recommend doing this in the pool as exercise with a bad hip is much easier and effective there). My last pice of advice is .... don't be afraid to leave something on your plate! We are taught from an early age to finish our meal or clean our plate. Well, actually, we should just stop when we are full or had enough. And do no get sucked into .. oh but this is a treat - if it doesn't taste amazing it isn't worth the calories! By the same token - it is better to treat yourself with something worthwhile once a week, than to feel like a victim. Celebrate your life and your week.

I understand this might not work for everyone, but that was my approach h and I've managed to keep off all of it (except 5 pounds) for 9 years.

To be honest, I think working with a physiotherapist to build up key muscles group might have more effect presurgery ... focusing on the core, glutes and adductors.

Big hug and best wishes for your surgery.

Linda

• Posted

Sara - I think the best thing you can do at this point is stay as fit as you can, treading water at the local pool for me was a life saver, right up until the day before surgery, floating with a noodle tucked under my arms, and using the assisted floating to stretch, gave me some relief from the pain, even in the last couple of weeks when I was in a wheelchair, pain was a nightmare.

Pain killers as strong as you are on are going to make you sleepy, prbably constipated as well.

Just eat healthy as you can, lots of protein, yoghurt and skinny milk for calcium, you are going to need to re-build muscles and blood after your surgery, let alone new bone as you do apparently around the implant, all helps stablise the implant.

Best wishes for your surgery, being a double hippie I can sympathise where you are coming from, not fun but you do improve hugely compared to where you are now.

I was in less pain after my surgery than before, much to my amazement, but when they asked me to get on my feet, well that was another story, but after about 10 days was able to give up the really strong morphine type medication, amazing, as I had been on morphine for months previous to surgery.

• Posted

Hi Sara, I lost 2 stone in just over 2 months on Slimming World pre-op. I was very dubious but it has worked & I felt so much better for doing it. You don't really have to cut things out, just adapt your cooking & cook meals from scratch (no processed rubbish). The food I have cooked us amazing but if you don't like cooking, Iceland sell SW ready meals. Good luck x

• Posted

Oh that is HARD ... I managed to lose 5 stone (70 pounds) by eating salads instead of sandwiches and pies for lunch.  

I also cut carbs right back so only 1 potato instead of 4-5.

Portion sizes make a huge difference too.

You just need to eat less calories than you burn - so don't look for 'low fat', but go for 'low calorie' foods when shopping.

Good luck

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham

I don't think portion sizes could be cut any less. I take 1500 calories a day. I'm 178cm tall (if I could stand up straight) am sure it's immobility that's the problem.

Kindest regards Sara

• Posted

how about high fibre foods, they can help - i also changed to things like All Bran, Fruit & Fibre, wholemeal toast.

Look out for things like Orange Juice which is high in sugar.

Pickles are surprisingly low in calories, and quite filling.

Oh and of course cut out sugar in tea/coffee.

I know how hard it is, I have an office job - but I got lucky and found a scheme that worked for me.

Graham

• Posted

For those of us with a 'weight problem', it's one of the hardest things to do. I can totally sympathise with anyone else trying to lose weight.  

As others have said, we need to lose weight, but the pain of OA doesn't allow us to step up the exercise, so all we have left is eating smarter.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.