Coming of tramadol

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I've been taking Tramadol for 18months now. Am going to the Drs to try and get off these. I know it is going to be a very hard process. Any of you going through this atm or have been and done it that can give me advise please? 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took them for 6 years and at the end was taking up to 20 pills a day. I quit cold turkey back in the beginning of February and haven't looked back. It was rough the first week, then it got easier. You have to be in the right mindset to get past it and succeed. You really have to want it, or it won't work. I lived in the bathtub for a couple weeks lol and that really helped me. I'd never want to go back to that life! It's so much better on the other side, good luck to you!! It can be done!

• Posted

Be prepared for depression and anxiety. Tramadol increases Seratonin an Norepinephrine in the brain. Colf turkey was only way I could do it. Went to a detox center for 5 days. Restless legs are the worst. Hot baths help. Anti-anxiety med will help also. I still take Klonapin an its been 2 yrs. Still struggling with PAWS. Look that up. Stay hydrated. Take magnesium and potassium an b vits. I also started menopause during my recovery an made it all worse. I was taking 20-25 a day. I went to N.A. meetings an a psychologist to help with anxiety. Im in US. Iv tried 4 antidepressants an none have been rt for me but hoping I will find one. Exercise is really importsnt. Vit D3 to an Vit C. I couldn't have pills around or I would give in to get rid of the torture. No sugar coating it. It is hard. Goodluck

• Posted

You might fine that the Drs have got no clue how to do a tapering schedule. They have not had any training on how to get patients off Tramadol or any antidepressants. Tramadol is also a SSRI so you have ineffect 2 drugs to get off!

You may be OK as no ones withdrawal is the same, my advice is to come of slowly and depending where you are in the world some tablets/capsules only go as low as 50g with is a pain as I had to open mine up and divide the powder.

im 5 months off now after being on for 7 years, two of those years trying to come off!

im still suffering with withdrawals, but not accute, I'm in PAWS now and this could go on for up to two years and beyond.

I do hope you get the help you need, but would advise you to research this drug extensively ??

• Posted

Hi there i was just wondering how you are getting on did u manage to get clean? Im sorry i haven't yet stopped taken tramadol i have tho went through withdrawal from it n every time i have its the worst feeling in the world so bad you want to disappear but stay strong you will get there i have started tapering i have a long way to go but motivation and determination will get us there.

• Posted

I am on day 2 of detox from Tramadol quitting cold turkey. I had 150mg 2 days ago and just couldn't take it anymore. I still have some left, but gave them to my husband to keep. Thankfully I have xanax to help when I feel incredibly anxious, which has happened a few times. I had horrible restless legs last night, so I am not looking forward to that at bedtime. I felt a bit delirious earlier today, but I think that was lack of sleep. I am taking ibuprofen and drinking plenty of water. I'm fortunate not to have the stomach issues. I feel cold ALL the time even though I cranked up my air conditioner. Been able to do this at home. I am running a low grade fever and sneezing and coughing a lot. I just know this will end eventually and I will be my old self again. I will never put that poison in my body ever again. 

• Posted

I have been on Tramadol modified release for about a year.  Initially 150mg  every 12 hours.  With the support of a very understanding GP I am on my first week of 50mg MR every 12 hrs.  I started the reduction in February 2016 so I'm going slowly.  . She lets me set the pace and I only reduce when I'm feeling that I've no withdrawal symptoms. 

Today ive got stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhoea.  .

i haven't noticed anyone on the modified release capsules.

how are you getting on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.