SLEEPING ON BACK

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Having now commited to a THR I decided to try to prepare myself for after the op.

Since I understand that after surgery sleeping on the back is necessary for some weeks I decided to start now and get used to it.

The result was lower back pain while in bed plus a headache as well as the back pain on waking up in the morning.

I have experienced little pain from my hip OA and never been kept awake by the OA .Now I am concerned about potential damage to my back.

Any advice about how to cope with the back pain?

Also for how long must the back sleeping be kept up?

Many thanks

Joyx

Joyx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sleeping on your back depends on you. It's different for everyone..

When I had my right hip done 9 months ago I could'nt sleep on my side for at least 6 weeks I just had my left hip done 9 weeks ago and I was able to sleep on side about 4 weeks out ..Now I can sleep on both hips with no problems ..Your gonna take naps for a while till you can get a full nights sleep ..I still can't sleep a full night because of my knee is still swollen and painful especially if I over do it....But I can tell you it is worth it in the end

.To have a normal life again....Good Luck to you I wish you the best

• Posted

Thank you Bonnie

I guess I worry too much.I have always slept very well but I know that loss of sleep is hard to cope with on top of everything else.

Even though I woke with back ache,I had slept the whole night.

Just don't want to create back problems if it can be avoided.

good luck to you too

Joyx

• Posted

Your back hurts and headaches from just laying on your back? What kind of mattress do you have? No bed should cause that. Try getting a memory foam mattress cover at least 2 inches thick. They aren't very expensive and might make a huge difference fir you. Are you having posterior? I had anterior and no restrictions

• Posted

Thanks Debbie

Don't think it is the mattress. I think it is my slow back,I have a pronounced curve in the back and lying flat is difficult.

Have since tried a cushion under my back with improved results.

Just don't know if that is allowed post op.

Have considered a foam topper but reviews suggest over heating problems.

I need a cool bed as I have had eczema in past and over heating is a problem.

Am considering a mattress topper anyway to raise height of my bed.

Still waiting for advice on bed height.

I am having Posterior.I have looked into Anterior option due to lack of restrictions and easier recovery as I am alone.

However the Anterior approach is less usual here in UK.So decided to go with the approach which has more experienced surgeons.

If I was in USA or France I would have gone for Anterior.

Good luck to you

Joyx

• Posted

Oh yes, it is one of the worst aspects of the early recovery.

I found a harder mattress better for me, also the spare room meant I knew that if I fidgeted i would not be disturbing my wife's sleep.

I flexed my 'good' leg to the side, or drew my knees up (part of bed exercises anyway), put a cushion under my knees (as well as one between my legs), and played soothing music on my ipod.

Sleeping on your back is certainly unpleasant, I had to do it all again after 10 weeks after my revision operation.  The other 'torture' most of us have to endure is the dreaded TED stockings.   Anyone thinking they can take them off early should read the RNOH leaflet on DVT (see my wensite, online resources, RNOH Leaflets).

Back pain - take Tramadol or Codeine, then wean off them onto paracetamol.

How long  - 6 weeks for both sleeping and TED stockings.

My website address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - ????

• Posted

Thanks for that Graham

Lots of helpful advice!

If I can draw up my knees that certainly helps.Slightly concerned about arranging all the cushions when I will be less mobile.

Have been playing around with different arrangements of pillows while still unrestricted.

Totally agree with you about TED stockings.I would not risk DVT however uncomfortable the TEDS may be.

Hope you are recovering well from your bad experience.

Your presence on the forum and all the info.you have set up is a

great comfort.

Best wishes

Joyx

• Posted

Hi.

You will find you will get tired very quickly for first few weeks after op which is only to be expected, and as has already been said you won't be sleeping through the night so it's sleep when you need to 2-3 hours at a time any time of day or night until you become stronger and more comfortable.

Don't worry it's not as bad as you are probably thinking and the end result will be well worth it.

Good luck.

Graham.

• Posted

Great reply by Graham, Gloria. I would get my bed checked out if you are having back issues pre surgery. I am having that issue post surgery even though we bought a new bed with a relatively firm mattress. The firmer higher mattress in our spare room seems to work better though.

you are going to struggle enough post surgery with having to sleep on your back so I would say enjoy the luxury of sleeping on your side and curling up now, pre surgery while you can. You don't need to practice now except to check out that your bed is optimum.

best of luck.

Cathy

• Posted

Hi Joy !!!!!

Congratulations on making the decision to go ahead and have THR surgery ... I know this is a huge step for you and took a lot of courage to do so ...

There have been and are a lot of discussions about sleeping post-op THR - I was allowed to sleep on unoperated side while still in the hospital (2nd night) with pillow between my knees - eventhough not really too comfortable, having a choice made all the differenc I think -

some forum members "practiced" sleeping on their back before surgery ... Maybe this is something you might consider - just to get used and familiar with it ....

I live alone too and had 2 THR surgeries - small bungalow , so no stairs - was adviced to get a rollator (trolley) instead of crutches and I could get around fine - put stuff on the bench etc - 

Would going to a rehab centre for a week or so be available to you?

On hindsight I would have done that but didn't know it was an option (found out later) for me ...

Regardless Joy, you can be proud of yourself and can relax a bit, okay 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thank you Cathy

So much to consider.

I am trying to anticipate how I will cope and practice how I will move around,get in the bath,sleep on my back etc.etc.

Good luck to you too

Joyx

• Posted

Dear Renee

Thank you for your encouragement.I am still scared but making the decision is a big hurdle overcome.

Thank goodness for all the support from fellow hippies! Really anyone who has not experienced how we feel has no idea!!

With the best of intentions they can't understand.

I am doing exactly what you suggest and practicing everything I imagine I will need to do.Getting into bed,in and out of bath,sleeping on back etc.etc. Hoping to be well prepared.

I was lucky to get a rollator from a charity shop. It is really useful already and can take a little shopping. Can even sit on it if waiting too long at supermarket.

As regards rehab, I am planning two weeks in an excellent clinic with physio and hydratherapy.

Hugs to you too

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I was in hospital 17 days with THR and  all the other injuries due to accedent .The moving bed was great,when i got home iwas scared of the bed as we have a organic latex mattress,my side is extra hard, my wifes side is medium,the first night sleeping on my back was pain full and after that it was marvelious, my fears were un founded,the mattress is a gift to sleep on any time but it realy shone through and I had 6 fractured ribs. We bought the mattress for my wifes allergis with the latex pillows, was the best investmient,we ever made made.

God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.