Need opinion: does it sound like I have ovarian cysts?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So for about 2 weeks now I've felt pressure and bloating in my lower abdomen. For months now at times I'd feel a little pinch in where I'd imagine my left ovary to be but right now I feel duller pains in both sides at times. My period has never really been perfectly regular, and when I get it it's pretty painful. About 4 months ago I had a period for that month, then a couple weeks later my whole abdomen became extremely bloated and I was in so much pain I had to take pain medicine and leave school for a couple days because I got my period again and it was too painful to be active. Currently I feel the urge to pee but when I go it's like I didn't actually need to go at all.

I have had an appointment to start birth control set for this week because I am sexually active and just want to be safe but this bloating and the unpredictability of my period are all concerns of mine. If you think this is an issue I should bring up to the gyno, how could I go about it without sounding like I've lived in webmd for the past couple of days out of worry?

Long story short

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Make a list of your symptoms. Similar to what you have outlined. Try to be chronological. What you're experiencing is not normal. YES discuss with your gynecologist. I ignored my symptoms thinking it was just part of aging. I had severe endometriosis snd huge cysts that none of the 3 Drs. I had seen over the span of 2 years had diagnosed. They didn't even look at the x-rays they had ordered.

So YES talk to your Dr. don't feel like you are whining or not dealing with normal girl stuff. I had explained a symptom that happened when I went on roller coasters. Severe tearing pain in my left side back. Turned out the endometriosis had adhered to the artery of my kidney and was being torn. Surgeon said I was weeks away crom the kidney dying! Or I could've bled to death if it tore through. So be thorough and firm.

I'm not trying to scare you, I doubt yours is that bad. There are many things that could be causing your issues and birth control may help but it should be investigated and/or monitored.

But don't be shy. Monthly cramps are normal. What you are experiencing is not so get to the bottom of it so you feel well again and can enjoy life!

Also, monitor your ovary pinching and see if it's regular and switches sides. It could be you a feeling ovulation, which bc would fix.

• Posted

It's totally possible. What really caught my eye was the "pinching" sensation you described. I would definitely check it out, and make sure you do a pelvic exam! Good luck!

-Kellin

• Posted

Exactly.

Doc is way to go.

Tell about 'peeing' (for easy urine sample test) and menstruation pain.

And don't forget a few facts to keep calm:

functional cysts during reproductive age (without contraception) are normal,

up to ca 12 cysts per ovary, 

A single cyst is considered normal between 2-3cm.

It depends what it is made of.

If it disappears,

rupture of bigger cyst can hurt,

the minimal free pelvic fluid (due to ruptured bigger cysts) can hurt (again up to 5ml in females are considered normal).

My daughter had 3cm luteal most likely hemmorhagic (=functional) lutheal cysts (since they changed sides being once left once right ovary during months of follow ups), not even endometrioma,

and happily put her ovaries to sleep via pill since her ovulation and menstruation was a horror of pain.

I love the side effect of pills that you are simply out of that pain due to no ovulation and no real menstruation, if one suffered menstruation pain in the first place.

For us yarrow root tea and naproxen pain killer worked a treat for menstruation pain.

(She had a laparoscopy, 70% of menstruation pain are not due to endomentriosis, but 30% are. No endomentriosis was found in her case and pain was massive during ovulation (6hours) and menstruation (3 days horrid pain, but manageable with naproxen, that took about 6 hours to kick in since it does something to the release of cramping hormon, too, not only pain killer)

Best of luck!

Urge to pee could be a minor cystitis, a bacterial bladder infection, very easily tested (urine sample) and treated.

Drink a lot please, keep hydrated.

And pill will ease menstruation pain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.