2 weeks on 20mg fluoxetine! Feeling fed up!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on fluoxetine 2 weeks today! Woke up feeling fed up because I just want to feel myself again! I have never had strange thoughts before but last 2 weeks have! Things scare me and I don't know why! I just want to be back to myself! I dunno what to do with myself cannot watch tele because I cannot get into it can hardly eat got no appitite! Trying to do little things around the house but it's just so much effort. When will things get better?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kristyxx. It didn't get better for me after 6 weeks I felt the way u felt and still kinda but my doctor had stop taking it last Monday and switch back to 5mg Zoloft I feel a lot crappy now but I can finally eat again . I hope u get well soon

• Posted

50 mg Zoloft
    • Posted

I feel ten times better than I did last week when I ended up in hospital! But it's like I just feel so drained! I don't feel as sick as I did but still haven't really got any appitite! I don't feel as detached as I did I now there's little improvements but I have no patience and just want to be myself again! Sucks!

• Posted

Hi 

im on 40 mg fluoxetine it does get better give it a few more weeks if no different you might have to change to a different medication 

Stay strong I know it's hard but things will improve xx

• Posted

Your on 40mg?how long before you felt good?
    • Posted

Hi was about 4 to 6 weeks when I felt the benefit seemed like forever waiting for them to work though X 
  • Posted

It can be a tough journey on these meds - but the end journey really, really is worth it. I used to get strange and scary thoughts too - remember they're just thoughts, this isn't how the real you would be, it's all part of the illness and side effects of the medication.  It does wear off - really it does.

You will be back to yourself again.  For me, the thought of spending more years being ill was unthinkable, and pushing on and through the nasty side effects towards recovery was the best better option - it was the best thing I ever did.

If you had a broken leg, you wouldn't expect it to have healed in 2 weeks.  It would take much longer and probably come with added ingredients like muscle spams etc.  Treat this illness the same - it will take time, you will get some added ingredients, but you will heal.

Everyone has weird thoughts - but usually they don't bother us as they're not accompanied with anxiety.  They are briefly glimpsed, don't bother us and are quickly forgotten about.  When you're feeling full of anxiety you don't think properly and thoughts can become scary.  Your body is over exagerating because you have anxiety.  Your nerves are fragile at the moment, and anything can set them off.  The meds will eventually soothe your nerves, making them normal again, and all weird thoughts will get put back into perspective and won't scare you.

Remember - you're not well at the moment, the meds may be heightening things a little more (this is temporary), you are healing.

Everyone takes different times to heal - let it just work for you.  It will happen.

K xx

• Posted

Aww thanks for the lovely comment! It's so nice to hear off people who know how your feeling and understand! It's reassuring?? Yer I have always had little bouts where I don't feel myself but it passes but the last 8 weeks I have been feeling awful and it gradually got worse ending up in a breakdown I couldn't cope anymore! Went to hospital last week because I was beside myself I felt like I was on a wall and I was gonna go over horrendous feeling! Yes the doctor said I'm sensitive to eve trying because my nerves and anxiety are so high! It's the worst feeling I have ever been through wouldn't wish it on anyone and just want to be me again! Your comment was lovely though thankyou so much xx

• Posted

Oh bless you, poor you ...... I know exactly what you're going though.  Some people are sensitive to the meds and am hoping your doctor is keeping an eye on you.  It was the most horrendous illness I've every gone through - and I also wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Pushing on with these meds will really, really help.  I couldn't imagine life without anxiety ..... but it happened eventually on the meds.  Please keep in touch regularly with your doctor though whilst recovering.

People have no idea what anxiety is like - its something you can't explain as the experience is like nothing else.  You can recover on the meds though - it will be a bit tough to start, but keep that thought in your mind 'anxiety free' - it really does happen.

Everything will seem scary at the moment - your nerves have taken quite a bashing.  They'll calm down with the meds and all will ease in time.

Thinking of you.

K xx

• Posted

I am sticking to the meds because I know they will help me! It's just being patient and kind to yourself at the moment but the feeling is so overwhelming isn't it! It's all stemmed from over the last few years after a lot of things and lost a lot of people close to me both nans my dad left my mam after 25 years and then lost 3 friends in a car accident back last October also going through a break up atm there's just lots of different things and the doc thinks that it's all got to much to deal with I'm only 25! I get health anxiety aswell I always think the worst and think that people close to me will die or something bad will happen to them I'm in high alert all the time! I just want to be better! Xx

• Posted

Yes the anxiety can be very overwhelming - you just want someone to take it all away.  

Anxiety usually stems from stress - either either physical or emotional (or both).  It can build up over time or happen suddenly (ie shock), it can be the result of illness, work, upbringing, life ..... just anything you find stressful.  Anxiety then results from this and simply means your body has reached its limit.  Everyone has different limits - some people thrive on stress whilst others has less of a toerance.  Having anxiety means your body is on a constant heightened alert, and any provocation will make the adrenaline surge round your body.

Sorry to hear of your losses.  You've gone through a lot, and seems its taken a toll on your emotional well being.  These meds really will help you get your life back on track and help to put things back into perspective.  Have you considered having a talking therapy too?  It may help to talk to a professional about your losses.  Your doctor could recommend something I'm sure.

I was 20 when I was first ill and thought my life had ended when I became ill.  I didn't think anyone else would have the same.  Reading about this illness has helped me too.

When you're suffering with this illness your mind goes into overdrive.  You can get strange thoughts which in turn sends your body into a panic - I did too about people.  This is normal thinking, but your body is overreacting at the moment due to the anxiety.  

Trying to stay calm (not easy) is good as anxiety likes a tense body.  Walk slower, don't rush about, drive slower too.  Exercise is good as it burns up excess anxiety - a daily walk helps.  Also eating well (if you can).  All this helps whilst you wait for the meds to take effect.

You will get better.

K xx

• Posted

I did have CBT but didn't think it was doing anything but doctor has refered me to this different therapy but it will take a few weeks to start up also gotta start these courses for coping skills! Yer I do go for a little walk every day! Im finding it hard to be around a lot of people crowds and stuff arm but I push myself! The most thing it's done is scare me the way I feel I love my own company and stuff and doing little bit but I haven't left my mothers side in 2 weeks I don't want to be on my own and I have no idea why I get scared but I don't know why! Did you ever get that?xx

• Posted

Sometimes you need a different talking therapy - and sometimes you might need a couple of goes at it before you feel its helping you.  Glad you have a different therapy referral.

Keep up the walking - its really good being outside amonst nature and getting some exercise.  Being with people can be tricky for some people, but try not push yourself to do it - forcing yourself to be uncomfortable will just make you tense.  Are there people you feel more comfy with than others?  Could you go out with your mother or someone who feel ok with?  You coul even try being with people for maybe 30 mins and then go home or something.  But don't make yourself.  You'll probably find in time that you'll find find it ok to do this.

No I didn't want to be on my own either - I didn't enjoy my own company, and used to feel panicky when I had to be on my own.  Yes, I know exactly that feeling.  When I recovered on the meds it didn't bother me anymore and now love my own company.

It will come ok for you again.

K xx

Being with someone just makes you feel safe.  

• Posted

Yes being around my mam atm is my security! She hasent left my side and took time off work until I'm feeling abit better yes I will go anywhere with her because she understand me she been through it few years back! I can go to the corner shop no prob but like a supermarket atm is a no go start getting all panicky like I'm gonna faint and everyone gets on my nerves sounds silly I know! Yes the doct told me not to push or do to much just do what I want to do so that's what I'm doing?? Thankyou for your comments again they are so kind and reassuring xx

• Posted

My son also went through this - had a breakdown 2 years ago and he went through hell.  He couldn't work for 4 months and I also stayed by his side during his darkest moments.  It was very tough for us all, especially my son, but as I'd been through it I knew what he was suffering and helped him through it.  Took him 9 months to recover and is now a happy young man again, has a lovely girlfriend now too - and has recently come off his meds and is still very well.  Don't worry about the timescale it took for him to recover - we're all different and it takes all of us different times.  

His doctor advised him to step outside his comfort zone a little at a time - which he did.  I got him involved in an African drum class - I used to go with him at first and he'd sit not speaking to anyone, but joined in.  Eventually he was able to go on his own, and has now been drumming for 2 years and was recently asked to join their performing group which he has.  When he was ill he also started guitar lessons, and again he's still playing guitar and has gone up to higher groups.  He found it difficult at first mixing with people, but stepping outside his comfort zone a little, he has grown to be more comfortable with this.

For me when I was recovering I started attending a dance class - music and dance is so good for the soul.  At times I didn't want to go, but would always enjoy it when I was there.  I made new friends, got some exercise, joined the dance troupe ........ and 15 years later I'm now a dance teacher, travel and have found a new confidence I never knew I had either.  I would never have imagined myself teaching or being on stage.

Finding something you really enjoy can help - though of course sometimes you don't want to do anything.  

Being with too many people can be irritating.  When you're ill your nerves are really heightened, so sound can feel overwhelming and annoying, lights can be too blinding, and people who all look happy can make you feel upset and annoyed.  I used to feel like I was in a goldfish bowl looking out at people and I so longed to be free and happy like them, and then I'd feel depressed and anxious about it all.  I liked being with people though, I needed company.

Can you visit the supermarket in the evening when its quieter?  Or maybe if you mam needs to go, could you sit in the car maybe and not go in?  Trying not to avoid things completely, but finding another way to go there might be better.  Going to the corner shop is good though.  Small things at a time.

No its not silly - you can't help how you're feeling at the moment - your body is doing what it wants to do.  It will ease for you in time.  It really is a wretched illness to suffer with.

Its really early days for you on Fluoxetine still - just keep persevering with them and patience will pay off.

Thinking of you.

K xx

• Posted

Yes that's how I feel like everyone around me is happy and then I just feel nothing and feel like I will never ever be myself again it's horrendous! I dont know if this has anything to do with tablets is not but I have got like dry itchy red patches over my body on my knock on my arm under my eye and under my eyebrow it just won't go i have never had problems with my skin before so have no idea what it is??? Could it be a side effect or related to stress?xx

• Posted

I thought exactly like you - I felt I'd never get over it and couldn't see a way out at all.  I was so amazed when I did recover - it was like a miracle.

The itchy red patches could be from the medication - its best to get that checked out with your doctor as he may be prescribe something for it.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.