Withdrawl from mirtzipine after 3 weeks, when will it go- help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Please help. i was put on 15mg mirtzapine for a week, then upped to 30mg which i was on for 9 days- the effect was intolerable felt suicidal, groggy and exhaused and confused, did not know what to do so rang gp, oncall one spoke to me and said just to come off them. I have and got no sleep at all Wed, very little thurs and Fri was up at 1 am. Managed about 5 hours sat and none last night. How long for this to get out of my system after not long on it? Also i feel really restless and agitated, i have to work so cannot go on like this... please help i do not want to go back on this drug or i will never come off, cant understand after short space of time????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carolyn

15 mg 1 week, 30 mg 9 days, so 16 days in total.  

You are right, those symptoms you describe are indeed withdrawal, or for those who say Mirt' doesn't cause WD lets say discontinuation syndrome.  You are probably quite sensitive so have been hit harder than some, but saying that isn't going to help you.

It's a tough call, you might get away without much more suffering, but if unlucky could go on for an unknown time.

To be clear, you havn't recently stopped or been on any other AD's or medication maybe?

For sleep aid you could take some Benadryl (drowsy) maybe 1 tablet before bed, and if you wake at say 2/3 take another - but maybe first night just take the one, see how you feel in the morning, it might make you feel groggy, although it wears off pretty quickly.  Non addictive, just make sure you aren't allergic or anything.  Better than taking Diazapam or a Benzo/sleeping tablet - both addictive and hard to stop.

Wishing you well Carolyn, I hhope the symptoms ease sooner rather than later.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Prior to this was on fluoxetine and propalanol both had terrible side effects. My gp said it should be out of my system by now! Just told me to get something at chemist so I have. Scared of medication now x
    • Posted

I don't think with AD's like Mirtazapine and Fluoxetine it is a matter of, like your GP said "getting it out of your system" - these AD's alter the very structure of the brains chemistry and therefore it is a matter of tapering slowly to enable corrective reformation.  It makes me so angry that doctors don't have the training regarding AD's when they are prescribing them daily; surely it is in the interest of all the thousands of patients to have 'knowledgable advisors'.  

I would think that what you are suffering now could well be withdrawal from Fluoxetine (not the Propranalol that isn't addictive), how did you taper from it, what dose were you on and for how long?  Mirt' cannot cover any wd symptoms from another AD, quite often people are mistaken with this.  

The usual thing to do when in AD WD is to reinstate somewhat (not the full amount) to alleviate the nasty symptoms and then do a slower taper.  But I'd be interested to hear how you quit Fluoxetine, and how your doctor said to do this first.  

Sorry I don't mean to scare you, but its best to get the full picture and have an informed choice.  Click on my name and follow the link for a full informed choice with regards to tapering.

Best wishes Carolyn x

• Posted

Hi Carolyn - I'm on 7.5mg for 5 days now after being on 15mg for two weeks and before that I was on 30mg for 3 years. I'm sure I'm suffering from withdrawal as well. I'm having one good day and one bad day and I'm using clonazapam and lorazapam to help me get through. The problem is that these are also addictive. My feeling the same; groggy, a bit depressed, a bit anxious and edgy. I'm still falling asleep OK but I don't know if I'm getting quality sleep.

Anyways, my plan is to stay on 7.5mg Mirt for another two weeks and then try to drop it completely.

I'm quite sure, at least for me, that the side effects are worse than the benfits. Once all the meds are out of my system,I want to see how I feel. I've been suffereing far too long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.