Reflux or another infection?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So basically about a month and a half ago I caught a chest infection, and got amoxlin for it but they weren't strong enough so I went back and they the gave me clarithromycin, it took a few days before I started to feel better, I then finished my antibiotics and I felt a lot better but I still didn't feel 100% my throat still felt a little irritated and for example when I ate cold food I would cough and wake up in the morning and at night and get a tickle in my throat my throat also wouldn't stop burning so I went back to the doctors again and the doctor said it was my acid reflux so he gave me gavison and lansoprazole tablets so I began to take them every day and saw no improvement atall but I kept taking them until I woke up one morning and I couldn't swallow because of the pain I realised that I had all the symptoms of strep throat but before that day there was no pain or swelling at the back of the throat so I went back to the doctors again and they tested me for strep and they said I had it so they gave me some more clarithromyin to clear it so I took the full dose for six days and it was only after about 4 days I started to notice improvements even though it's only ment to take 24-48 hours until you notice improvements after I took the whole dose I felt a lot better but I still had a horrible churning feeling in my stomach then a few days later my throat started to itch like hell and I then thought I had hayfever or something as the weather had been really hot it was also very tight and I thought I was about to come down with another infection it's now a few more days later and my throat is still very itchy and acidy I also keep waking up in the morning and having coughing fits but I don't cough atall in the day just to let you know I still am taking gavison and lansoprazole tablets for my acid but I can't see any improvements I also feel very sick all the time and really down and depressed as there hasn't been one day in the last 2 months where I have felt myself, I'm also only 14 and I just want to feel like a normal teenager and not moan all the time about this I dont know what it is anymore wether I'm getting another infection (my tonsils arnt swelled or it isn't hard to swallow yet). Or it's my acid been so so bad but nothing helps with it or Wether I have had an allergic reaction to something which is made y throat tight and really itchy.

But my throat is also burning like hell as well as it been itchy and tight I also feel really sick and never hungry and I'm very underweight which doesn't help I also feel quite burpy a lot of the time as I sometimes when I swallow drink it feels like a burp coming up in my mouth.

I haven't felt right ever since I caught that throat infection which was over 1month and a half ago.

But I have suffered with acid reflux for a few years now but it's never ever been as bad as this

It's all the Time now from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep

If anyone could help it would mean so much

Thankyou

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are doing so bad.  I myself have some serious issues (not the same) but this is about you.    Have you changed the way you eat and what you eat?
  • Posted

sorry to read about ur situation. i have been suffering those symptons for years and have been on lansoprazole/omeprazole for more than 3 years. looks to me like silent acid reflux on your part. please consider having an upper endoscopy to diagnose the real cause. hope u find comfort soon.
  • Posted

Hi Katie, Sorry you're having a hard time. Did the itching and tight feeling in the throat start shortly after you starting taking the Lansoprazole? Just curious if maybe you're having a reaction to that medication? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.