weight or pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello my name is lavinia I've been diagnoised with a hip that needed to be replaced, since the begenning of the year. the hip is so bad I can't walk without crutches at all. I had a BMI of 60.1 The doctors said they won't do the surgery until my BMI is 50 or below. Loosing the weight has been a challenge, my BMI is now 56, in a week I'm doing weight lost surgery. so that I can loose the weight fast, to be able to do the hip replacement. I need to walk again, Honestly I would loose this weight without the surgery, if only I could walk. I can't do anything . Anybody facing anything like this, or got some views. Do you think I'm doing the best thing for myself? The pain is so real..

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes Lavinia,

I do believe you are doing the correct thing, a BMI of 60 is not healthy, and you will be amazed and how much better you will do. Remeber what ever bararactric surgery you choose ( no lapband!!) it is a tool, you will still have to adhere to the advise and training iven to you or you will gain back you weight. Sounds like a new life awaits you ,you will do wonderful imagine you will probably lose 50-70 lbs the first month then go get your hip done!! You CAN do this and you will be much happier and healtiher!  

• Posted

Oh and don't forget " if you don't put it in your mouth it won't go to your hips" confused Most people can lose 100 lbs without exercise to keep the weight off you will need to continue healthy eating habits and exercise. You have got this, you can do it!

• Posted

Annette Thanks, I've already started my Liquid diet todayto be ready for surgery on 8/8. Keep your eye out for me okay I be getting back .

• Posted

I would do the weightloss surgery.. My mothers weight was 475 lbs now she is 65 yrs old ..15 yrs ago she had to loss 40 lbs and cut down on smoking so she could get her hips replaced ...she also couldnt walk she was in a wheelchair she could stand and take steps..now 15 yrs later she had to at least double that weight ..she has been bedridden for the pass 12 yrs .she wishes she had gotten the surgery then .But now its to late she has COPD besided the weight and she lost all of her muscle tones she can't even sit up . So no Doctor will do the sugery it's to risky .....I was also having trouble with both of my hips I had my right hip replaced oct 2015 and left hip replaced may 6th of this yr .and I feel so much better I can now walk pain free I kept my weight down so I wouldnt have the same problems as my mother... So now my mother see that I can walk she said she could just kick her self bc she was scared to fix her hips and where she ended up now especially now that I had both of my hips replaced .And im 49 yrs old this was the best thing I ever did..I didnt need weight loss surgery....But if I did I would do it in a heartbeat...Good Luck to you hope everything works out for you

• Posted

bonnie Thanks for sharing your experiance . Guess I am doing the right thing hum....I can't wait to walk again. Just got to get through this weight loss process(Healing). Then I pray I'm not to late for Hip repair

• Posted

You will do great .Just take it one day at a time.. your new life is waiting for you....Just think of all the things you will be able to do once ur hips are done ..And the best part is pain free and walking.....keep me posted on ur progress to a happy healthier life
  • Posted

Hi lavinia, am not trying to scare you, but my daughter had weight loss surgery over a year ago and has had nothing but problems, been in and out of the hospital, required several more surgeries and can't keep food down hardly at all! I have known of four people who have had weight loss surgery and three of those four had awful problems only one did well. I would try to think of another way, and I do understand where you are coming from, having had one hip just replaced almost 10 weeks ago and getting another replaced in 18 more days I realize how not being able to move or function sure can put the weight on a person, dealing with it myself. If you would have asked me a couple years ago I probably would have said Yeah sure sounds like a good idea (weight loss surgery), but knowing first hand what my daughter has went through I would never ever recommend it to anyone. She now looks like a walking skelton and is fighting to just to be able to eat and stay hydrated. I would have much rather seen her a little heavy like she was before, at least she looked healthy. Also, is so bad all of her hair is falling out and her toenails are falling off. Please take heed in what I am saying. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Yyy.

Hi Lavinia,

I had to have both my knees replaced, this was a result of a car accident I was in, in 1981. I knew I had to have both hips done too, but we, my Doctor and I thought it would be down the road. But for some reason after the knee surgery, I quickly started having more and more difficulty walking. I went from a cane to a walker. I was afraid I'd end up in a wheelchair. Since I usually recovered quickly, my Doctoi decided to go ahead with the hip surgery . I don't know my BMI, but I was definitely overweight . I weighed about 230, my Doctor advised me to loose weight. He said, mainly because it makes the surgery easier. I didn't loose the weight and thankfully the surgery was a success. I had a very good surgeon. He had one of the best reputations. I would try to have your surgery as soon as possible. And in the meantime keeping loosing weight.Good Luck, Jo

• Posted

Like you, I was overweight, and had to lose a fair bit - I just managed it with diet as exercise was out of the question with all that OA pain.

Both things are going to change your life for the better - I know I feel SO much better now, even with the complications I have had.  

Graham

• Posted

Hi, Lavinia. Hope you keep up the fight against your weight loss. Loosing weight is one of the hardest things to do, so well done you. Since I have needed hip surgery my mobility has rapidly been reduced and I have gained 2 stone. I know I will feel much better if I shift the weight but it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. Keep up the good work.

• Posted

Hi lavinia,

You've come to the right place for the support you need. Can I make a couple of suggestions to help you lose weight?

Check the ingredients in everything you eat and make sure the fat content doesn't exceed 3grams per 100grams. Don't miss meals and don't eat later than 6pm.

Obviously things like soft drinks and alcohol are a big no no.

I wish you well and I'm sure you will succeed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.