2 weeks post laparoscopic surgery for giant cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone!

hope you are all doing well 😊

i had my surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow for a giant mucinous cystadenoma and saw the surgeon last thursday. he went over all my results and everything was benign which is awesome and i was released to resume all my normal activities ...but recently i have some very weird pain, like, stop what i am doing/ drop to your knees type pain, sharp and stabbing.. from what i think are the internal incisions and also from my bladder.

i told the dr. about the bladder which was explained bc of the foley catheter and i was told it would resolve over time. but

these crazy sharp pains are kind of new and concerning me and i wonder how any of you were coping 2 weeks post surgery and if this sounds familiar/normal or am i overdoing things without realizing it or do i contact surgeon or my gp ?

any thoughts/similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for being there and all my best to you gals who are in the midst of this situation.

i hope the best outcomes for you all 😊

xx stacie

0 likes, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi stacieh, I was in a similar position to you almost three years ago so I understand how you're feeling. Firstly you should be taking it easy still - no heavy lifting and lots of rest I would say for at least six weeks. You have had major surgery and there is a lot of healing going on there, I remember feeling a horrible deep ache and dragging feeling that went on for a long time, remember there's a lot of tugging and moving organs around whilst we are under anaestic and this all takes time to heal. I don't remember the kind of sharp pains you are experiencing - you may need checking over as you could have been overdoing things. Please go back to your doctor and get yourself checked just to be on the safe side, it's always best to be safe and anything unusual should be looked at . Good luck, it's probably just part of the healing process but go anyway just to be sure x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Stacie,

As Lou said, two weeks is really soon, and when you were told to resume normal activities, they should have told you to rest a lot.

I had a lot of adhesions that had to be cut before my ovary was removed, and am now at 3.5 months and if I do too much, still have the occasional pain that reminds me to not overestimate what I should do.

Plus still get tired very easily, so take your time and take it easy, it I'll be worth it in the end..

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thanks laura

i will try to rest in between all the running around..it's a challenge for sure.and i guess i thought the lapro would be so much kinder on my body. it isnt the case !!

it is major surgery and i need to remember

that.

ugh.

xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Laparoscopy is for sure kinder than laparotomy,

BUT it depends what is done in the inside, mainly.

When I had some ovary tumor taken out and given 2 days for recovery, a work mate on return compared me with her tube sterilisation. ? She got no day to recover, how come, she had 'the same' surgery: laparoscopy.

Well, darling work mate,

to just bind the tubes without cutting anything inside is a different wound inside compared if something was cut off and stitched up inside (plus a drain, that she didn't need).

Now, two days was enough for my little surgery of partial ovary removal.

Then I had a laparoscopic liver lobe/tumor removal (with a 10cm excavation cut on the side, yet again, not a laparotomy, just laparascopy since small cuts, belly blown up and bigger cut just physically needed due to the size of to be removed tissue, not for access, but for exit) and was in intensive care and 11 days hospital taking weeks to get this odd vibration sensitivity under control (the car ride home was very painful) or being able to lift my toddler again.

Laparoscopy is so much kinder than laparotomy still.

Your tumor and surgery inside was a big one, too.

If you had your surgery done via laparotomy, you sure would have to deal with many more cut nerves, flesh healing additionally as well and more adhesion formation risk.

You need to give yourself time and don't compare to anyone who had a laparoscopy...you need to compare WHAT they had done inside. Laparoscopy is just the access to surgery site which is much kinder than laparotomy. But the surgery itself determines, what the prognosis for time of healing is.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This has been a shock to your body and a trauma - you can't go racing about without paying a price im afraid . I remember cleaning windows two weeks after and I was fine at the time but my god I payed for it, I was in agony and shouldn't have done it. Take it easy ??

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I totally understand where you're coming from, the day before I went I to hospital I planted 200 daffodil bulbs in case I couldn't get them in in time. I also got in my car and drove 2 weeks after my op BIG MISTAKE  trust me , all your jobs can wait your healing comes first, try harder ha ha ha ! How's the pain now, have you rang your doctor ? X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi lou!

i feel quite good today bc i didn't do much ..

in fact, been lounging around this morning ..onky did a few erranda and i was careful not to hurl myself in and out of the car lol!

i am going to give it anothwr few days and if the really sharp stabbing pains continue, then i'm calling.

i really need to be done with this bc i now gave a thyroid US coming up...

it's been such a fun summer.

ugh.

hope you are well!

xx

stacie

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes you might find as you take things easier the pains might stop but if they don't then get yourself checked. Don't leave it ! 

I have thyroid problems too, under active . Uugghh always something to deal with ! TAKE IT EASY, I'll be checking up on you ! X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Stacie,

It's easy yo overdo when you've been resting and get a burst of energy. You obviously have learned your lesson about over doing it.

I found taking daily short walks helped 'burn' some of that energy so I didn't get that false sense of vim & vigor and also facilitate healing. Pacing yourself is key. I found a little more each day, along with a short nap did the trick.

Drs. sometimes simplify laproscopic recovery, especially when they are significant like yours. Some people are more sensitive to the invasiveness of all the proding done.

I had full abdominal surgery and was walking the next day. My roommate had a vaginal hysterectomy had still hadn't gotten out of bed in 3 days. Each person is different. Give yourself time, one day at a time.

Sounds like you're being run through the mill this year. Hoping the thyroid goes better. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to health!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up