Weight loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now at my wits end. I have been suffereing from Acid Reflux which was diagnosed as Upper Oesophagitis Reflux last month in June even though I have had it since December; it was originally H Pylori which went and then returned as Reflux in May. 

After countless visits to the doctor who did not seem concerned and a cocktail of tablets to try; none of which seem to be working - Lansoprazole, Omeprazole and now Ranitidine.

My biggest fear is the weight loss which according to websites is an alarm bell for more serious issues, yet I have told my doctor several times and who really doesn't seem concerned?? 

'You have been ill and have lost your appetite, what do you expect?' is his reply.

Even now as I type I feel the gnawing feeling in my tummy after just eating a single ham sandwich.

Does this dreadful, misery invoking disease ever go? My doctor seems to think that it can be with you for life! I am 44 and do not relish this following me for the rest of my days.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi JayGee,

Can you list your symptoms, how many ppi's do you take? Is the weight loss due to fear of eating trigger foods. I myself who was diagnosed with LPR lost 20pounds within a few weeks, but I feel I cut out the foods that should be avoided mostly soda and fattening foods. That alone cut out a lot of empty calories, and now my weight is stable.I would ask your gi for colonoscopy and upper gi just to rule out any other issue besides the reflux.

• Posted

Hi todd,

My symptoms are gnawing pains that come from under my ribcage area which rise up into the centre of my chest, this area is sensitive to touch as is my tummy in general.

I take 2x20mg of Omeprazole and 1x300mg Ranitidine daily.

Today after lunch which was a sandwich I have has a nauseous feeling which is a rarity. 

My eating has been ok although earlier in the year I found I would feel hungry and then wouldn't be ab;le to eat anything or after a few mouthfalls feel bloated.

• Posted

Other symptoms are constipation, sometimes tiredness/lethargy, and breathlessness - I am a smoker which worries the hell out of me and I understand that smoking is a major trigger with reflux. 
    • Posted

I think at least  that you are feeling hungry, but anytime unintential weight loss occurs it should be checked out by your doctor. If the weight loss occurred during the double dosage of Omeprazole that might partially explain the weight loss as that is one of the possible side effects. Treating the H Pylori would help if they suspected an Ulcer, and with your symptoms I would guess that is what is causing most of the issues you are experiencing. If it doesn't get better soon I would schedule another appointment with a doctor to see. PPI's take time, and the Ulcer needs time to heal. Hope you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

Just another thing about H-Pylori, did they check to see if the H-Pylori was gone after you started the PPI treatment? PPI treatment can give false negative H-Pylori results, I found this out after I had already started PPI treatment. You want to make sure 100% the H-Pylori is gone in order to heal the Ulcer. Smoking doesn't help reflux, what times do you take your PPI's? Make sure you give the medication time before eating, smoking or drinking anything that would cause the reflux. I take my dosage first thing in the morning and around about an hour before dinner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.