HELP!? Abdominal problems since gall bladder removal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I would really appreciate some help. I feel like I am losing the plot and losing faith in the NHS. 

I had my gall bladder removed in January 2015 as I had stones, causing me to constantly vomit and have major abdominal pain. Since it has been removed, I have not been vomitting and I no longer feel the constant nagging pain of where it used to be. 

In return though, I now have a horrible throbbing, full pain in my upper abdomen where I imagine my liver is. The pain is not constant. The pain only happens randomly in the middle of the night, or during the day if I haven't eaten in a little while. During the night I just wake up to the pain, but during the day it feels like I am a bit peckish, then within a few seconds it feels like I have been starved for weeks and am buckled over holding myself. The only way to make the pain calm down is water, a tiny bite of food, or buscopan. But there is no other symptoms than this pain. 

I have been to hospital with the pain twice, and both times they assumed IBS. I visited my doctor who gave me (not sure what it was called) a drug to take daily for 3 months, but it had no effect whatsoever. I have had a blood test, but the results came back clear. There is no swelling during these attacks, or redness, or anything at all really!! I am due to have an ultrasound to see if anything can be seen but I'm not hopeful.

I eat well and exercise so I don't think it is anything to do with my diet, I have limited fats, spicy food, and alcohol. I stopped dairy and gluten for a while to see if it made a difference, but it didn't. 

Does anybody have any clue what this might be or is anybody experiencing this as well? I genuinely have no idea what to do. I feel like the NHS just fobs me off every time I go back in to get it sorted out.  

Please help!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there  i too had my gallbladder removed in feb  when i came home i couldnt eat a thing  i had what you call dumping sydrome   basically diorehha every morning  pains in stomach,    this all set my nerves off because i wasnt eating,  sleeping,   Dr put me on antidepressants  which helped with the sleep and calmed my nerves a little  keeped to a low fat diet introducing things slowy,   was doing ok till  begining of july   when i started to feel sick again   diorehha again  stomach pain,  all my doctor has done is upped the antidepressants,   im at my wits end with it all  asked for blood test  which all came back ok, and basically ive just been left to deal with it,   One dr said it could be ibs  but not give me anything   im scared to eat food incase it sets the running to the bathroom off again. and stomach pain     Hope you get some answers hun,  im back at doctors friday  and this time i want some answers too,  xx 
    • Posted

Hi Patricia. Have you ever had a sehcat scan to test for bile acid malabsorption(bam)? It is commonly overlooked by doc's & mistaken for ibs. it causes all the symptoms you are having. I was diagnosed with it following a sehcat scan after still presenting with same symptoms as you when my colitis was clinically under control. I got put on meds & it was under control within weeks. even though you have had your gallbladder removed, its still possible to have this condition as your body still produces bile acid, you just no longer have the "storage tank". it happens when too much bile acid reaches your intestines causing urgent frequent diarrea,stomach ache & sore rectum. worth testing you i think... hope this helps xxx

• Posted

Thankyou looloo43  im at doctors this afternoon im going to ask them for this bam  let you all know how i get on later   thanks xxx

• Posted

IBS can be triggered after gallbladder/stomach surgery.
    • Posted

Has your doctor suggested what it might be?  If not wait to see if the ultrasound shows anything.  IIf you are still getting nowhere, change your doctor or go private if possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.