Doxycycline with Tamsoulosin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Could anyone tell me if it is safe to take Doxycycline alongside Tamsolosin? 

GP not helpful as doesn't want hubby taking Doxy.... Long story!

Thankyou

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi alil,

Your doc needs to monitor closely for potential for interaction tamsulosin oral and doxycycline hyclate oral.

Tamsulosin oral increases levels of doxycycline hyclate oral by altering drug metabolism. Dose reduction may be needed to take these drugs together.

Patient Drug Interactions Source: RxList

Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou James.

If I give a bit of history I wonder if yourself and anyone else could help us out.......

Hubby has raised PSa after a bout of acute urinary retention. We are to have third PSa test in 3 months but have discussed a try with antibiotic before to rule out infection caused by the retention and catheter.

Going back to last year during IVF I was found to have Chlamydia using a very accurate DNA test ( I tested negative in UK) and as hubby had very poor sperm he was treated with Doxy as well. This improved his sperm dramatically indicating he too was infected and the Doxy did its job. However our IVF consultant warned us that it will never be completely,knocked out and a repeat of Doxy would be needed every two years to keep infection at bay otherwise he would suffer prostate trouble.

The problem we now have is our GP refusing to prescribe Doxy unless hubby tests positive for Chlamydia on a Urine DNA test. We don't get results until Monday but I am convinced due to the inaccuracy of the tests in the UK ( I had mine done in Athens) it will be negative . We have been married 24 years and the infection we are told at IVF clinic will be very deep in the tissue and not easily detectable due to it now being a chronic infection. 

The only antibiotics our GP will prescribe are a couple of Quinolones which hubby can't take due to existing tendon damage and Trymethopim which doesn't touch Chlamydia.

We can get six weeks of Doxy through our IVF clinic no problem but the problem we have is that hubby is currently on Tamsulosin so,we can't take them without doctors guidance .....

any thoughts please? Maybe a Tamsulosin alternative we could try if we get a sympathetic GP on side? One that we could use with Doxy? 

Thankyou for reading..... Sorry for rambling on ,

Ali

• Posted

Google for a drug interaction checker.  Then make sure you are spelling the drugs as:

doxycycline

tamsulosin

• Posted

Thankyou Glen.... Sadly yes it does seem incompatable... Bugger!! 
  • Posted

Ask your doctor if he could stop Tamsulosin for a time.

I do believe not many men find Tamsulosin all that effective anyway. It is prescribed mostly to relax bladder muscles in BPH retention. Stopping Tansulosin and using self-catheterisation would (if necessary) be a suitable alternative at least during treatment by doxycycline.

• Posted

Thankyou,

i did did wonder about him stopping the Tamsulosin for a while ( he hates the retro sad but as he is getting ready for another PSa test we don't really want any more catheters in sad unless we stop only for the 6 weeks he's on doxy and then start again once course finished as we would need to wait 6 weeks after doxy before PSa testing anyway..... God my heads swimming .... Thankyou againThankyou again

• Posted

Having done some digging I've found no interactions with Alfuzosin which does the same job as Tamsulosin....... Does anyone have any experiences of this drug? Hubby does want to come of any of the alpha blockers but we don't want to risk another bout of retention before the repeat PSa test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.