A man in panic! diagnosed with diverticulitis in April but more to it

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

Male 50 living in the UK.

For very many years I have kind of suffered with IBS like symptoms, have been able to control it mostly by not eating trigger foods such as white bread and pasta.

However this April I had been suffering for about a week with griping pain in my left lower tummy, went to docs and based on high temp and pain when pressed on left side she said I had diverticulitis, was given Metronisodol and told to increase fibre intake.

Took a good week to settle down.

I did what was asked and started taking a fibre supplement and also a couple of other natural supplements like liquorice that I read were good for the tummy.

Well initially it all settled down and then I started getting a lot of bloating, would have to undo my trousers when driving.

Also feeling washed out.

My doc has made me an appointment with colorectal at the hospital for early August.

I've noticed my lower tummy now cuts in more than it did, kind of like a 'V' Low grade pain in various areas, right side and left upper and lower.

Getting really scared I might have something dreadfully wrong.

Whereas I used to just be careful at what I eat, my tummy now seems to dislike all and anything!

Really very fed up with this.

Saw the doc again today and she said she could not feel anything concerning in my tummy, nice soft bowel she said.

OK, the messy bit. Bowel movements have always been a bit lose, and more frequent than I'd like, maybe 4 times per day.

Just before the DV was diagnosed I was a bit constipated. After it all settled down I was having just 2 per day which was nice.

Now, almost as soon as I eat, I am heading for the loo sad

I have for many years had an issue of bright red blood on the paper and in the loo, I can feel a little sore bit there, the usual cream seems to heal it and it may go months without issue, then come back. Having checked I am sure its a pile or such like, but when I do see the blood it freaks me out given everything else.

I am looking for some reassurance and maybe others who are having the same issues and ideas to help.

Thanks very much.

p.s. I hate discussing this

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi mike, don't panic !! ,I've had similar for many years because of a bowel disability,my hubby has diverticulitis and it comes and goes, the main thing is you should have a colonoscopy which is no big deal and will give you a definite diagnosis, in fact you should insist on one. I would also cut out some of the fibre like liquorice as that could aggravate it. I know the more times I go to the loo in a day the more my tum swells, too much fibre is as bad as too little,red blood is ok prob piles or even a polyp both easily sorted.getting stressed will also affect your bowel, good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for the reply.

Interesting you say cut down on the fibre as all the things I read say to have a high fiber diet for DV!! it does seem a confused subject.

The swelling up is really upsetting, even my long term safe foods are causing it now. Combined with a feeling of needing the loo but nothjing doing when you get there.

My inner tubes etc are very small by most standards, hence the fear of the examination, probably will just have to but I'd like a CT to check everything else in there.

Agree about stress, I have had terrible stress since 2009 almost constantly in one way or another.

• Posted

Don't worry about a colonoscopy, my husband was terrified! But came out laughing saying he didn't know why he'd made a fuss. They will give you mild sedation so you won't know what's really going on and I'm sure they can cope with narrow tubes They're the experts !!! Make sure you drink plenty of water too it keeps you moving. just go for it as you'll get a proper diagnosis which if it was dodgy could easy save your life .

• Posted

Hi

Thanks,

Can anyone tell me why I get the gripping discomfort on my mid to lower right side? I understood DV to affect the left side only, I do get it on the left as well.

Still seems to react to anything I eat at all sad

Still very concerned this may be something more sinister sad

• Posted

Here is an update.

Seen the specialst.

He thinks it is DV but in order to rule out anything else and to have a look at my other organs, he is arranging two scans, a ultrasound to look at my gall bladder and a special CT scan where they inflate the bowel a bit sad sad he says that this will give them the best over view of what is going on and set my mind at rest. If anything is picked up they are not happy with the hose pipe up the bum proceedure will need to happen. My symptoms have been on and off of late, left hand side griping pain for a few days that feels like trapped wind, need to go to the loo after eating most times. So, have to wait and see now I guess?

• Posted

Sounds like your being well looked after by your dr. My husband has DV and has dreadful pain sometimes,but at least it's livable with

• Posted

Hi and thanks, does it cause your husbands tummy to bloat and feel as if he has a low grade sick feeling for some hours?

Usually gets better after food, but find I am off to the loo soon after.

• Posted

Hmm many thanks, mine today has been causing a pain under my last left rib, kind of like the spleen being crushed. What a horrid condition this is.

While I am deeply sorry for your hubby, it does give me some hope.

• Posted

Hallo Mike, what a rotten time you've been having.  I can empathise, having had two colonoscopies, which only resulted in my having a polyp removed.  The doctors still couldn't get a clear picture of my bowel, as they say my bowel prep was poor, which is rubbish since I was given Moviecol (I think that's what it's called) and I was sure my bowel was clear.  I've been referred back to the gasterologist next month.  I still haven't been to the loo properly, which is worrying since the literature I was given says that bowel movements will return in a couple of days - it's over a week since I had the colonoscopy.

Interesting what you say about having a high fibre diet - it seems from various posts on this site that opinions differ.  I was told to take Fybergel to increase bulk, but I don't want to have any accidents.

My GP thought I had diverticulitis, but because of the history of bowel cancer in my family I was referred to a colonoscopy. 

I know what you mean about the stress - thank goodness for a site like this one to exchange views.

My situation is exacerbated by the fact that I am doubly incontinent, after an operation 11 years ago to remove a cyst from the sacrum.

has your GP thought of referring you for a CT scan?  That might give a better picture.

I know what you mean about the stress.  It's taken over my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.