Memory loss, hair loss - not stress/depression related?

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me, I have no idea what is wrong, but I feel like I am going slightly mad!

Upto 6 months ago I was fine, I work for a search engine from home, and its hard but I love it. The first thing I noticed was making silly mistakes, spelling and grammar, things I have always known, I was looking at a word I was so sure was correct, and it would be later when I happened to notice it was spelt wrong or the wrong word all together.

This carried on for a few months, not getting worse or better, and I also noticed at this point my hair is falling out. Then 3mths ago I started feeling like my head is full of cotton wool, I found it hard to concentrate and listen to people, sometimes I can't remember simple instructions even though I try hard to remember and repeat things to myself, the cotton wool feeling is still there today. Sometimes I remember things other times its just blank, its worse when I'm tired.

I went to the doctor when I started making more mistakes at work, and my hair loss is very noticable, she saw me 8 months previously and my hair is at least 50% less. The doctor has done a number of blood tests and they all came back normal including thyroid, adrenal gland and hormones (menopause).

The doctor seems concerned and I have a MRI scan of the brain in 3 weeks, and an appointment with a neurologist a week after that. I still feel 'foggy, tired, no concentration' but otherwise I am happy, I am not stressed (I am lucky that I dont need to work, I do it as I enjoy it),

What could she be looking for with the scan?

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Thanks

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I don't have much I can offer in terms of knowledge, but an wondering how you are getting on? I am having similar symptoms & have no idea why or what is causing it. It is out of character for me
  • Posted

Hi Twinky, sorry you're feeling like this too.

I still don't know what is wrong. I had the MRI last week and went to see the Neurologist yesterday, the appointment didn't go that well as I found it quite difficult explaining how I feel.

She didn't have the MRI results, so when she does I will know a bit more.

The thing I found most difficult was I tried to explain my symptoms. For example I told her I had been finding writing difficult, making mistakes etc, so she asked me to write my name and then said that it looked fine, I said yes but I know my name, I can do things I know, I think she understood me a bit better then, but its a uphill struggle when you dont understand things yourself, trying to explain things in a way someone else can understand.

What symptoms do you have?

• Posted

I have been noticing 'brain fog' in general for about 6m now & I have been struggling with my handwriting...just holding my pen feels odd & letter formation isn't great. I try to type as much as I can, but I find myself spelling things wrong & unable to think of the words I want. I'm always saying the wrong things in sentences & have noticed my sequencing is off. When writing Christmas cards last week I found myself putting names in the wrong order & worrying I might have written happy birthday instead of happy Christmas! I feel quite detached from things going on around me at times too & am occasionally worried about this when it comes on when I'm driving. It's all so unlike me. I'm also increasingly irritable.
  • Posted

I've also lost interest in tv as I find I'm not able to concentrate & follow what's going on
  • Posted

Thats exactly how I feel. I tried to write a letter to the insurance company recently, and I kept making mistakes, putting the wrong word, or thinking that I put the wrong word and having to recheck. The pen felt strange to hold, like awkward. I also had difficulty picking up a jar of coins I dropped accidentally, I did get them all, but it felt as though it didnt come naturally, and it was frustrating.

I find it hard to watch TV, I lose track as my concentration drifts, it also does it when I am taking to people and I feel so rude when I realise I havent heard a word they said. I can do this 4 or 5 times a day and sometimes have to fight to continue concentrating,

How is your co ordination? I have become clumbsy and am finding judging doorways etc difficult and knock into them by accident sometimes, this is worse when I have had to concentrate or I am tired.

I'm not sure if I would say I feel detached, I feel like I am here and involved, but like I have a bad flu that only involves my brain (like a headcold). I have also noticed my neck is achy most of the time.

What did your doctor think it could be when you saw them?

• Posted

I haven't noticed anything with my coordination it's more the ordering of my thoughts & listening, recalling & recording that are effected. I feel restless at times too & hard to switch off. I'm also irritable but I think that's probably be user in not sleeping very well (waking in the night) & have small children so never get my natural requirement of sleep, plus I am worried about why I feel this way. I have noticed that I occasionally get a numbness in my fingers tips too (they go white), it only last a minute or two but is odd. Not sure if its related or not.

I've only just approached by Gp a couple if weeks ago. Initially she concentrated on the restlessness & prescribed propanolol for anxiety but I haven't really taken them as I think I didn't describe the problem well. I went back again after writing down all of the concerns I had in bullet point & she is running hormone & thyroid bloods & also other bloods as I said I was worried it may be something sinister. I have another appointment on Monday to go through the results & plan from there. A brain scan, referral to neurologist & memory clinic have all been mentioned, but awaiting the blood results 1st. When did you have your scan? Did they say what they would be looking for? Or when results would be? Is your sleep & mood ok?

• Posted

I haven't had any numbness in my fingers but they get very cold quickly and my feet too, much more than they used to, that could just be age though (although I'm not really old at 39)

Sleep has been fine go to bed around 10pm and wake at 7am, which is strange as I have never slept that well in the past! my mood ok although worried like you said, which is only natural I suppose.

The doctor thought it was either thyroid or menapause untill the bloods came back ok, then she tested minerals vitamins and adrenals, they were all fine.

She also mentioned the memory clinic as an option although I dont think that will be useful as my memory is not totally gone, its ok one minute (not perfect but I can manage to do basic tasks etc).

The scan was last Saturday and they were looking for signs of MS/tumour etc. I think MS shows as lesions on the scan, and they can rule it out quite easily (hopefully). I think the results will be in a week or 2, I have seen the neurologist yesterday but unfortunately she didnt have the results yet.

If you do need to have the MRI if you havent had one before, there is a video on you tube of the sounds the scanner makes, watch it before hand! Its a shock otherwise, I had no idea how weird it would be smile

• Posted

I can relate to much of this. I know it sounds silly but I haven't had it checked out as I was afraid of a diagnosis of dementia. That said I know the tests and think I would have sailed through them. It was just a load of things, getting a penalty because I forgot to get a ticket in the pay and display, leaving the car window open, going upstairs for the ironing board then realising I had.brought down the stepladders, writing the same item twice in a shopping list, leaving my purse at a checkout, having the wrong words come out in conversation, putting things away in strange places..... Then there was the new job. I was struggling to take in information and every night I used to come home and make notes. It was really difficult but I struggled on because I enjoyed the work.. When the work situation changed I found myself getting stressed and making mistakes so I left. I was also getting some morning dizziness.

I'm almost back to 'normal' now and I think I know what was wrong.. I had been operating my solid fuel stove with the door open on an evening and discovered I had been getting a constant low level dose of carbon monoxide. This would perhaps explain the morning symptoms and occasional headache at night.

• Posted

It is not confirmed but excessive stress and depression can hamper normal brain functioning.Because it needs a great concentration to memorize something.

Thanks

• Posted

How did you get in with the MRI results?

Otherwise What natural approaches have you tried? Once you've been checked out medically, you could try:

1. Nutrients eg b vitamin formula and fish oil.

2. Brainwave entrainment meditation - have a look at active minds global website

3. Regular cardio exercise such as power walking, running, gym etc

• Posted

Sorry I haven't been back to update, I completely forgot that I started the thread, and the only alert I recieved was the last one by scottiej.

My scan was normal and I had a follow up appointment with the neuro 1st April, this was cancelled and put back untill 25th June! So I went back to the GP and told him that although I am much better, I am still not 100%. He said it could be my ears and refered me to ENT, I had the appointment the other day, he said my balance is out when my eyes are closed, so I need to have another MRI focusing on my ears this time.

I have started taking a good multi vitamin 2 months ago, I thought it couldn't hurt, but not fish oil, so will look into that too, thanks.Exersize is a hard one, because I did try going to the gym and it made me very dizzy particularly the running machine and cross trainer which are the only 2 machines I enjoy. Walking is ok and I do walk alot. I have never heard of brainwave, so will have a look thanks for that smile

• Posted

Ask for a vitamin b12 blood test. Your symptoms seem typical of vit b12 deficiency
  • Posted

I dont know what to say... I am feeling the exact way what all are feeling in here.

plzz help me as you all know what a pain it causes, help me.

*I dont feel reality anymore, every thing seems illusion....

• Posted

Hi again,  Just wanted to update you.

I just had a letter from the consultant with the latest MRI results back today, and they have found a small cystic area right temple/ madibular joint area, they want to look more closely and I have a CT scan in 3 days.  It's such a relief to know that these symptoms do have a cause!  I hope anyone else suffering like this finds out what is wrong, the worst part is the not knowing sad

• Posted

*Wrong words coming out during verbal conversations. I don't even hear, the other person notices it. 

*signature does not comes the same, forgetting the hand stroke

*forgetting mobile phone on the lap, quickly standing and realising it was on my lap

*short term memory loss

*extreme hair loss

*lack of concentration

*decreasing capacity on analytical problem solving

*loosing things and not remembering where I put them

*tripping or knocking things, difficulty in estimating distance

*holding items and droppping them

• Posted

Hi Helga

Did you find out anything about your symptoms?

The symptoms you explained sound like possible MS.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.