CA125, CA 19-9 and CEA tests for Ovarian Cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I'm 25 years old and just found out within the last week that I have an 'enormous cyst'. It's >28cm x 28cm x 14cm. They can't actually see how long it is or what it is attached to at the moment because it is so large it obscures the view, but they have presumed it is ovarian.

Everything has happened really quickly so far, I first went to the doctor just over a week and a half ago to discuss my tummy which was bothering me because it appeared so swollen that people kept asking me if I was pregnant. I thought perhaps I had a food intolerance, but Dr examined me and found what she thought was fluid over my entire abdomen. She was excellent and sent me for an urgent ultrasound scan just a few days later. That's when I found out the size and the fact that it was a thin walled, fluid filled simple cyst. I also had blood test done for CA125 which came back normal which was a big relief.

I have now been referred to the gynae dept of my local hospital, the appointment again happened only a few days later. But this apt left me feeling a bit confused, I have been told that the cyst needs to come out and sent for another blood test but this time they are checking for CA 19-9 which is a cancer marker for pancreatic cancer, and CEA which is colon cancer. I don't know why they are checking these, the Dr didn't tell me they were and it has left me feeling worried. Has anyone else ever had these checked when an ovarian cyst presents?

I haven't had many symptoms with the cyst I have, just occasional ache around my back and waist above my right hip, tummy is very hard and swollen and is uncomfortable especially after eating. More recently I have had some intense pelvic cramps (not when having period). I have not had any problem with bowels, so I don't understand why they are checking this.

Please let me know if you have any advice or have been through a similar thing.

Any advice on recovery time, or what you look like afterwards would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

H

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have just seen on another website that CA19-9 and CEA are also ovarian cancer markers. Perhaps just DR being thorough?? Is it usual to be tested for these when CA125 came back clear?
  • Posted

hello holly I had all this done when I had the same symptoms,dermoid tumor non cancerous,read up my letters ,there just doing there job,checking everything,please don't worry ,all will be good ,im great since I had mine removed in march,get well soon and please don't worry ,tc mags xsmile
  • Posted

Holly,

Don't worry about those tests, I'm working in a hospital, and we do ca19-9 and CEA very often routinly, thats doesn't mean anything!

May I ask you how much was your ca125 ?

I ' am in a same situation, I just had diagnosed with 5 cm cyst and 5 cm fibroid, I had pain since 8 months, and is getting worse.

I 'm waiting for a gynae appointment and a repeat scan.

In a mean time they prescribed me a contraception pill, to shrink the cyst.

• Posted

I have a friend who, today was asked by her doctor "why are you even bothering with chemo". She is now a total basket case. Can anyone offer some shred of hope for someone with a CA 125 of 50,000?

I saw on another website someone was speaking of a woman with a level of 70,000 but she only mentioned it in passing and I could not remember the site to go back and ask her about that woman.

I feel so sorry for my friend and the doctor just seemed so cold and heartless. She is woman in her 50's who has spent her life helping others and it just annoys me to see her like this. I wish I could find someone similar to her who could offer some bit of hope.

• Posted

Just seen this and I was wondering how your friend is?
  • Posted

Hello Holly,

I would love to know how it all worked out and how you are now.

I have just been diagnosed with a cyst a simular size to yours and mine is covering the ovaries too so they aren't sure of the source of the cyst yet .

Love to hear from you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.