I have folliculitus on the each side of my head kinda to...

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have folliculitus on the each side of my head kinda tords the back. I have had this for about 4 years. the past few months though its been really bad. note: my head is shaved on the sides. Anyways, a few days ago i went to the doctor, this guy was indeed really nice and when he looked at it he knew exactly what it was within .5 seconds lol. he told me it was folliculitus, so he said to me "buy antibacterial soap" not shampoo and to scrub the sides of my head and when he meant scrub, he meant to really scrub the crap out of it and when i get to a tender spot to scrub lightly but alittle longer for the friction and the soap to lather up. I had scaring to and ask, he said "just try this i am confident it will work and the ones that you have if you feel any bumps just drain them (pop them) so they don't get more inflammed or infected". i have been doing this for about a week and it seems to work actually. Evidently its a external bacteria so with his logic to use antibacterial SOAP and scrub the hell out of it and to do this every day. It's working, i can definitly tell. I think some of you should try this as well if you are experiencing the same thing as i am.

He also said if it doesn't seem to work that i would take something like arythromycin(spelling)? i said to him "isn't that for like ear infections or something" he said its not a common drug for this but in his experience it seems to get the job done and it works really well.

[i:e8954dd779]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e8954dd779]

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have small bumps tord pub's two on each side head and few on shaft idk if it's anything like that but I'm concerned the girl said it's from ware she shaved cause she's clean she says

• Posted

I have the same problem. what's the name of the soap .? And has it worked or if something else worked please let me know. The Dr. has me on doxcyclin but I Dont think its working at all.

• Posted

Mine is in exactly the same place. I have just tried the natural route after 12 months of anti biotics and creams. 3 days ago I bought cider vinegar and mixed 50/50 with warm water soaked the solution into a clean cloth and soaked my scalp in the solution. I cannot tell you how much relief I have had its fantastic. Only early days but it's really working

• Posted

I hope this continues to work for you. However, I've had folliculitis for over 10 years now & have tried all different antibiotics & medical scrubs, but nothing has worked.

?I've been on rouaccutane for about a year.  The first session worked well but it came back after I stopped taking it for 3 months.  I've started taking it again but at a lower dose &for a longer time & it seems to be working.  However, the doctor did say if I stop it could come back again!!!

?Folliculitis is very difficult to cure.

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

I am sure I  can help.I am 80 years old.It is a long story , but  t o put it in a nutshell I have been taken cod liver oil for 45 years I came to the conclusion that it strengthens your immune system As folliculitis is an infection your body will fight it.the natural way.Take one tabelspoon

• Posted

Hey guys, I have had folliculitus for about 16 years now, I've tried anti biotics, anti bacterial soaps, shampoo's, nothing has worked, I been taking triamcinolone , a sub for aristocort and it doesn't get rid of it, it just contains it, I have grown dreads to cover up the nasty ball spot and bumpy area on the back of my head, I had dread locks for 7 years now, I want to cut them , but don't want this scar to be visible, I think I'm going to cut them and try this method here. Any suggestions

• Posted

Here is what worked for me.

BACKGROUND

As a teen I had very bad face and back acne which cleared up pretty well by age 18. About 35 years ago at age 35, I noticed small pustules on my scalp, especially in the lower back area. I spent many hours scratching at these and their subsequent scabs, a practice which of course led to further pustules. I couldn't stop scratching though even though I often found difficulty in going to the barber. In desperation, I went to a dermatologist about 30 years ago, and she prescribed a course of antibiotics for six months during which time my infection seemed to disappear. However, in time it reoccurred. Occasional doses of antibiotics would clear the infection but only for a short period.

Once again, last year, I sought guidance from a dermatologist. He said not to use antibiotics as they are a temporary solution. He suggested I should not pick the scabs and keep my fingers away from scalp altogether. The likely cause of my pustules was staph which I transferred to my scalp, likely from my nose, where most people have this bacteria. He also prescribed a sulfur solution to apply to the scabs so they would dry, peal, and heal more quickly. This solution works well.

COMPONENTS OF MY CURE

1 per cent sulfur in dilusol lotion prescription (This I just mentioned.)

1 per cent clyndamycin solution prescription

Head and Shoulders shampoo. I think zinc is the component that helps, so any zinc shampoo.

Purrel lotion (kills staph bacteria.)

Q-tips

Dental floss picks.

Clean towel daily

A fine bristled brush

Hair dryer

METHOD

This is my daily routine. In the morning, I wet my hair liberally with Purell and then brush it through for about a minute. At some point during the day, I'll use the Q-tips to apply the sulfur solution to any scabs, although I have few if any. In the evening, I shower, shampoo with Head and Shoulders, and dry my hair with the clean towel, being certain not to use it for any other body areas. I finish drying my hair using the hair dryer on high heat. Then I again apply Purell using the brush as before. I also apply Purell to the inside of my nostrils using a Q-tip. This last step may be the most important!

I use the topical antibiotic if I feel I may be developing a pustule using a Q-tip as an applicator.

If a pustule develops, I use a dental pick cleaned with Purell to pierce it. I then clean the area with more Purell and apply some antibiotic, even though the last dermatologist said not to use it.

Bottom line there is no cure. However if you can control the staph bacteria, you can control folliculitis to a large extent. My scalp is at least 90 per cent better by my doing what I described.

• Posted

Well after two years with this horrible affliction I may be getting somewhere. I have done extensive research and tried all sorts of stuff and though some have helped I still have not got rid of it. However the last thing I've tried has cleared it immensely and fully finished the treatment. Firstly this treatment I have decided on my self as my GP and Dermotologist in all honesty have been useless. They don't understand the suffering it causes and have little interest in trying to cure it. Firstly it is important to find out what type of folliculitis it is i.e fungal, bacterial etc. I have tried everything from the antibiotics given by the Dermo which was lymecycline to natural remedies like cider vinegar and tea tree oil. I then came across a website which discussed certain types of folliculitis and their symptoms. I deduced from the info that I may have malassezia folliculitis which is a yeast problem. The three medications suggested are Ketoconazole, Itraconozole and Fluconozole. I knew asking my GP and Dermo would be no use so I searched uk websites where I can buy the the first two I was unable to get without a prescription but I I was able to source Fluconozole on a couple of pharmacy sites. The recommendation is to take 1 a day for 14 days for folliculitis. Unfortunately this drug is more commonly used for thrush so I was only able to buy three which came with clomritozole cream which I also use. I went ahead and ordered the medication. I can honestly say after the very first tablet I felt an immediate improvement. I have now ordered another three and will continue to order until I have taken the 14 required. There is a short spell in between deliveries but delivery is quick so should not be much of a problem. I hope this information helps some others out there because I feel your pain and frustration. I may not get rid of it fully but it is at a level now where I can live with it whereas before this medication I felt totally depressed with the situation. Good luck everybody and if there are any questions I will answer them the best I can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.