Adhesive capsulitis following shoulder surgery

Posted , 18 users are following.

Back in April 2013 I had a sub-acromial decompression on my left shoulder to relieve an impingement (the shoulder was also partially frozen according to my surgeon). He also manipulated it and gave me hydrodilation. Within weeks, the shoulder had frozen again. In August 2013, I had to have another sub-acromial decompression of my right shoulder. During that operation he manipulated my left shoulder to relieve the adhesive capsulitis. The manipulation definitely helped the left shoulder for some time.

By November the right shoulder had started to freeze and is now incredibly painful and I am due to have it manipulated under general anaesthetic on 12 February. To add to my woes, the left shoulder is freezing again.

I know that adhesive capsulitis can be one of the side effects of shoulder surgery but I do feel I've been singularly unlucky.

I wonder whether anyone else has suffered in this way.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Valerie (46937),

I have not had any surgery or any manipulation under GA, but I can verify that with my two severely FS of 6 months, every single time I have pushed it too far with the exercises, jolted the shoulders or had physio manipulation that was too adventurous, there has been a set back and recovery for each and every one of those occurances. I can almost tell now how long it would take to get back to the point of progression after yet another slip up. Things are improving at the pace FS generally take (which is far too slow for me), but now I have resigned myself to the way of things, I am much happier that there will eventually be an end to this suffering. I would not have been brave enough to have gone ahead with all your treatments, and can only hope that your recovery will have been worth the agony you must have suffered. When there is damage (surgical or otherwise), tissue needs time to heal. Do read the messages on this site...especially 'Frosty's. I found it so helpful. All the best in your recovery Valerie.

Blessings

Chickabee

• Posted

Where can I find Frosty's comments??? I do have frozen shoulder and working on home exercises that my doctor gave me. It is tough one and get pain. I have to return to see my doctor on Feb 8th. If I don't improve my range of motion, I will may have to go for surgery. Any feedback would be appreciated
  • Posted

Hi Chickabee

Thank you for your supportive reply. I have indeed read through all the discussions and I think Frosty's contribution was SO helpful.

What I am finding so hard to cope with is the prospect that I will still end up with two frozen shoulders DESPITE all the manipulation.

I guess I must learn acceptance that, as Frosty says, this illness has a beginning a middle and an end eventually.

I hope your recovery moves along satisfactorily.

Valerie

• Posted

Dear all, having had a FS 6 years ago after an arm injury, and finally getting better after 18 months, I used to tell everyone how the injury was NOTHING compared with the FS. Even 2 goes at childbirth was nothing compared to the FS. I can assure all you poor people that it does finally, slowly, frustratingly but surely get better. Day to day you don't notice it but try to measure you improvements every fortnight or so: such as a bit more movement or wow! I only needed painkillers twice today. I went from 24/7 painkillers over about 8 months, to every 2nd then every 3rd day etc. it is long and slow. As we are so used to having an end point that is the hardest thing. All the reports say 12-18 months and it was like a miracle for me at about the 16 month stage . I could hardly remember what it was like to be normal but suddenly was and it was great.

I did have 2 manipulations under GA which helped the movement and gave some relief but it still took its 18 month course. Imhad a great surgeon and he was very honest and said they really don't know how to treatit the best way and everything is a bit of a gamble.

So when I had to have shoulder surgery for an acromion and tendon problem last year: guess what. Yep I have ongoing capsulitis. Not sure whether knowing how it will go is better or worse knowing what I am up for and have had one hydrodilitation to try but it only worked for about 3 weeks. But I think I am better prepared knowing that almost whatever I ( or the surgeon) does, it will take its course. And, more importantly, there IS an end to it.

To all of you suffering at present, I know how you feel and how weary or down you may have got. When you don't know how long it will take and every day you expect to be better and it's not. But somehow there is a magic 12-18 months, with the worst being the first 6-8: hang in there! Clare xxx

• Posted

Thank you for the messages about my post. I had my right frozen shoulder manipulated under General Anaeshetic last Wednesday together with a steroid injection and hydrodilation. At the same time, the Surgeon looked at my not quite so painful left shoulder and decided, having seen the range of movement under anaesthetic, that my problem on the left was bursitis and did a little manipulation and injected some steroid. I was also given exercises to do. I had a follow up physio appointment on Friday and have been given more exercises and encouraged to continue with my yoga practice, although with some modification of postures to make sure my shoulders aren't over-exerted.

I didn't feel at all good after the GA and the steroids but am now feeling much better although very tired. But the BEST THING is the diminution of pain! I can now sleep comfortably - I used extra pillows at first but for the past two nights, no pain-killers, no pillows just blissful sleep.

I do realise, of course, that this wretched condition may return. No-one seems to have a clue just what causes it in some people. Both my Mother and my Uncle both suffered so perhaps it's in the genes.

However, at the moment I am feeling so much better and the range of movement is very good.

I do so feel for everyone who has this terrible condition but am so very grateful to my wonderful surgeon who has, for the time being, enabled me to gain relief.

I wish everyone with adhesive capsulitis all the very best. I have learnt a lot from this forum. The hints and suggestions for easing the pain at night I found particularly useful.

Thank you to everyone.

• Posted

Hello there. I had a sub-acromial decompression on my right shoulder in June 2010. It went well and I was back at work in 2 weeks. To my dismay my left shoulder developed the same pain late 2013 and so I had the same surgery on 31st March this year. I was off work and in agony for 4.5 weeks. I have physio every week and do all my physio exercises every day and despite this, my physiotherapist thinks I have borderline adhesive capsulitis. My movement improves week on week but it is small and I like you feel like I have been unlucky on this occasion. I'm seeing my consultant next week, really don't want to have the hydrodilation if I can avoid it but we'll see what he says next week. I've been back at work full time for 3 weeks and I think just getting back to work has helped enormously even though it's still very painful most of the time. I'm still on pain killers daily and need sleeping tablets to sleep. Trying to stay positive mentally which always helps, very easy to get down about it when you're in pain all of the time.
    • Posted

Hello.  I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling after your surgery.  I had my last MUA on my right shoulder in February and at first all seemed to be going well.  Then I started to develop limitations in the movement I had despite doing ALL the exercises, gentle swimming etc.  I now have a very painful right shoulder although so far it's not preventing me sleeping too much.  I have seen the sports masseur and he thinks that it's akin to adhesive capsulitis but that I have too much movement to make it a frozen shoulder.  He has told me that my posture needs adjusting and I'm trying to keep my shoulders back and not hunched.  I'm starting to wonder whether the Alexander Technique would help.  I'm prepared to try anything rather than keep swallowing painkillers.  However, I am encouraged by this discussion group and I do know that eventually there will be an end to the pain and discomfort but some days that doesn't help a lot as you say. 

• Posted

I am dealing with my second frozen shoulder.  Two years ago, after surgery on my right shoulder and one month theraphy, it froze.  Had manipulation, followed by 4 months of agressive theraphy.  During this time my pain never ceased.  I also have dysesthesia which is a condition that causes burning, magnified pain.  My right arm always felt on fire.  So here I am two years later & my left shoulder has frozen shoulder.  I knew well in the beginning & started to do my exercises I remembered from my other shoulder.  After six weeks noticed it getting worse. Went to a different ortho.  Don't want manipulation again, because I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.  I have pain 24/7, arm again is always hot ( I assume from inflamation), can't sleep etc.  I even went yesterday to accupuncture.  I do remember it wasn't until I stopped theraphy that my pain got better the first time.  I guess that will be the same this time too.
  • Posted

For what its worth I had Surgery under GA For a frozen right shoyulder 3 years ago. It was othe most painful surgeries and recoveries i ever had. Now my left shoulder is frozen and i may have a tear in the labrum as well as the rotator cuff.I am due to have surgery under GA 1 week from tomorrow. having been through this once before i know what to expect, i hope the recovery is better this tiime, i never really recovered from the last one @ least my ROM. Wish me better luck this time

• Posted

Good luck with your surgery! I had surgery on my left shoulder for full thickness rotator cuff tear inJune 2014. Surgery went smooth, I was in sling for 4 weeks, started therapy 3 weeks after surgery but pain seemed to be increasing and ROM was not improving. By week 6 DR diagnosed frozen shoulder and had scheduled surgery. At 9 weeks from first surgery had adhesive capsulitis surgery. And started PT the day after I was discharged from the hospital. I can say it was the most painful recovery and rehab I have been through. But I made it, I was still dealing with that shoulder when I realized I was having pain in my right shoulder. I am now 3 weeks out from surgery on the right one, rotator cuff repair, bicep tenodisis, remove bone spur and acromioplasty. My OS started PT 4 days after surgey to try and prevent frozen shoulder this time. But I am having a lot of pain, which seems to be increasing? Not sure if it is from the PT or what? With the first frozen shoulder my DR could not believe how much scar tissue my body had produced , I am just wondering if this will happen again? Has anyone else had this happen on both shoulders? 
  • Posted

Hi Valarie46937,

I had arthroscopy decompression op on 3/8/2015

Which is still very painful months after op,

I have been back today to see consultant and told I have frozen shoulder really painful on morphine.

So I am not happy at all being waiting for Pain Clinic for ages n on moping I go bk to see cosultant in 6 weeks.

I never expected this amount of Pain from a Shoulder Operation.

Dolphin500.

• Posted

I am 4 weeks post rotator cuff surgery.After 4years of frozen shoulder. The surgeon also had to shave part of the bone and manipulate my shoulder under GA. My question is how long until I can lift and drive again. I am needing to carry on catering asap. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.