Swelling

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I'm 12 weeks post op and have been back to work for two weeks. I had my first proper night out this weekend and although wasn't in fancy shoes just a flat pump.

I don't have any major pain the odd twinge but at the end of the day my foot does ache but my really question is the swelling. My foot is still puffy and numb along my scar. I try and rest it and keep it up at the end of the day.

How is everyone at this point? my notes after the surgery did say swelling can occur months after op but it's starting to get to me

Help please!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Connie, I am also 12 weeks post op and still have swelling, even more so after a day of wearing street shoes. I met my doctor yesterday and he said everything is proceeding as normal but the tissue will take 6 months to 1 year to completely heal. I was wearing a splint at night to keep the hallux aligned and it would cause me to awaken with discomfort. He told me I could stop wearing it.

I am wearing Hafligers and tennis shoes and I recently purchased a shoe stretcher to stretch some of my leather dress shoes so I can wear them to work. I doubt I'll be able to wear them for some time.

• Posted

I am also 12 weeks post op. I continue to have a lot of swelling with numbness in forefoot. I am wearing a tennis shoe part of the day but still wear a walking boot when I go out of the house. I just started physical therapy and the therapist is trying to work on scars to get the swelling out. I am still wearing a compression sock most of the time (therapist recommendation). Still have quite a bit of pain when I walk. Trying to walk without a limp is difficult.
  • Posted

Hi I am 6 weeks post!! Very swollen pain when I walk!! I went back to work at 4weeks! On my feet 8-10 hours then drive an hour to and from! Crazy I know!!how pond does it take before I will be normal again! Lol walk with out a limp and not walk like a turtle? So tired of this. Just want to run again and walk normal again?

• Posted

Hi thanks everyone. I guess the secret is to just be patient then I guess. Does feel like I'm going 3 steps forward and 2 back some days.

• Posted

Hi. I am nearly four weeks post op so obviously still very swollen. However I had the other foot done last march and ten months on the scar is still a bit tender to touch. The swelling had completely gone after two months so I m hoping that will be the case this time.

• Posted

Hello hygiene jeanne. Just read your report of 3 Feb and am horrified by your comments. I think you are expecting far too much far too soon. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I cannot believe you are saying and doing these things as you were probably given the same advice of everyone else prior to having this procedure. Going back to work after 4 weeks is one thing, but an hour's drive and then being on your feet 8-10 hours once you are at work is quite another matter. Crazy it definitely is and I suspect if you carry on like this you'll live to regret it and possibly incur problems. Cannot believe that you're saying you're 'tired of having a limp and being like this' and that you 'just want to run again and walk normal'. I am trying to be offer advice to you ( whether you want it or not) which you may interpret as cruel but, it is with kind intent. I am just another person who has had this surgery. I'm not in anyway a medical professional. I was wary of having the surgery as it may or may not have been a success. But I took on board everything my consultant/surgeon told me and I have tried my very best to adhere to this advice. It is almost 11 weeks since my surgery and I managed to drive my car only last Saturday for the first time. It is not an automatic. I did give it a go the previous weekend but as my foot felt uncomfortable decided to wait a while longer and I'm so glad I did because a few days later I was aware of significant improvement in my foot. It became more comfortable and the toes today are so much more flexible. The underside of the bunion toe does remain stiff but I can tell it's improving with each day and I'm walking so much better also and the limp is almost gone now. I still take a stick with me when I go out for a little walk round the houses but now this is more for my confidence than anything else. I do hope that you will realise how important it is to be patient. You've had major surgery and this all takes time to heal. However, I fear if you don't take notice of the experiences of others who have had this procedure and who use this discussion site you may well come a cropper. Please be careful.

Gillian

• Posted

I am in my 8 weeks of postop bunionectomy. Can anyone suggest what shoes running athletic shoes to wear nine hours at work all day. I've been looking at wide ASIC. And is anyone's feet still swelling during the day and evening after working all day? And hurting? Also is anyone having trouble with the top of their foot over on the right hurting,not even where the surgery was?
  • Posted

Jeanne, I am wearing Haflingers. They look like clogs but have a cork sole which makes them very light and comfortable to wear. They are pricey. My PT said to buy two different size pairs of shoes at the local Walmart (inexpensive). This way you can fit your regular size and have a larger shoe for the swollen foot. It's very good advice.

I've been reading the comments here and like you Jeanne, I was mobile the first week and after receiving my driving shoe returned to work on week two. I'm not on my feet all day so I was able to elevate my foot for several hours during the day. Upon returning home and getting settled I used the ice cuff to reduce the swelling.

• Posted

Hi Angela

Where do you buy these Haflingers? Are they supportive enough to wear for 10 hours? I I bought a pair of ASIC . There are awesome!! They're expensive but worth it since I'm on my feet all day and they came and wide I just bought one size and a half bigger and put an insert in the other shoe to get me by till the swelling is

down.

When which week did you see a PT?

• Posted

Hi Jeanne,

I purchased the Haflingers from an on-line vendor after trying them on at a couple of foot comfort shoe shops. I learned about them at a website called barkingdogshoes, (fashionable finds for fussy feet). I cannot post the link here as it's not allowedpermitted. The site blogger reviews shoes specific to foot problems. I also purchased a shoe stretcher to relax some of my dressier shoes. I have a bunionette on the right side of my foot (near the pinky toe), so I have to be more conservative with my foot wear. I'm not quite ready for surgery again!

My doctor cleared me for PT at week 6. My insurance preapproved 8 visits but I only used 6 and continue the toe(ga) exercises at home.

Did you start PT yet?

• Posted

Angela

Thank u I will check it out. My Dr. Recommended me to start the PT but I am just doing the exercises at home because I have to pay for the PT and it is too expensive!!!

• Posted

Hi,

I have also had surgery on my foot. It was reconstructive surgery to repair tendons from a fall years ago and didn't know it was fractured. I'm 11 weeks out from the surgery and am doing the therapy now. It's going to be a long road to get rid of swelling. Try soaking foot in epsom salt. Also, ice the foot for 10 minutes. I'm supposed to start to work in a few weeks-Aug 12th. I have been out since May 11. My whole foot had to be reconstucted due to pain and just not able to handle it anymore. I'm doing my excercises at home also. I'm thinking about starting to walk some but will check with therapist first because I will have to be on my feet all day also. Best wishes to you and prayers!

• Posted

Connie

i'm 8 months on from a bilateral lapidus, Atkins and hammer toe release, I still swell up, and my right foot is almost always swollen.

been told by the physio that this will last for a minimum of a year, maybe longer, you have a long way to go yet.

keep you expectations low, and patience, as you'll need it.

caroline

• Posted

Girl I had the same problem with the splint, and the swelling has come down on the foot but that bone is still puffy. Doctor told me 3 months to 6 month. smh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.