Why do I keep getting stabbing pains 3 week after surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had surgery 3 weeks ago and it's been such a nightmare.

I was allergic to codine so ended up on tramadol for the first 2 weeks and had crutches and a post op shoe but after 2 weeks they took my crutches off me and told to get a trainer on but to swollen so have kept my special shoe on.

Can't move my big toe or the joint and today have started with a stabbing pain in arch of my foot and top of big toe and don't know why. Anyone else had this?

Not slept for 3 weeks as it's throbbing and burning 😥

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rebecca, be careful! I was told very clearly to ALWAYS walk on the special shoe for the first 6 weeks. Also to keep walking to a minimum for the first 3 weeks. I'm sorry to say this, but it seems crazy walking on a trainer at the moment. Please be careful and get some advice. When I had pain after four weeks, I phoned up and they told me 'no weight bearing'.
  • Posted

Oh and by the way, the tip of the big toe was painful, it felt as though it had a tight metal band around it - but it didn't!
  • Posted

I did get some stabbing and burning sensations. I was only heel weight bearing for a full 6 weeks and I also had a rod in my foot so everyone's surgery is different. I was told that those kinds of pains are nerves and other bits reconnecting. I was also told that if the pain was unbearable and not controlled by what they suggest you take or a very different kind of pain then then they would think something was wrong. Are you elivating your foot as much as possible? When I first starting walking I was beside myself i

With pain and exhausted. I would give your surgeon a ring if you are worried. You won't be the first!

Hope this helped.

Tina

• Posted

That sounds mad. I had surgical shoe and crutches for a full 8 weeks and only then was told to attempt a trainer. I was still heel walking and kept walking to a minimum keeping foot rested as much as possible. I would def be careful and I'd put surgical shoe back on x I'm now at 12 weeks and have only just started wearing a flat shoe I still have swelling and aches across foot and toes. All perfectly normal but have still been told to take it easy x
  • Posted

I had mine done four weeks ago and am now walking unaided in the heel walking shoe. I ve also got the stabbing pains in my second toe and it's really bad. I ve got a wire in this toe. Hope this is normal. Never experienced these stabbing pains before

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm going to ring and check what is normal and not.

Don't feel ready for much walking and no way I can get a slipper on so I'm just doing things when I feel ready and ignoring there stupid advice to get a shoe on, it's stupid!!

I did ring the day after they took my crutches to check what I was told was right and just my luck but got the same nurse as I seen the day before!

Cheers guys much appreciated

• Posted

Hi I had bilateral bunion surgery just over 4 weeks ago, and am coping reasonably well with the special shoes. Just in case it's helpful to anyone else, I was too scared to try and get upstairs for a bath for the first couple of weeks, so I bought a kiddies' paddling pool to use as my "bath"..... it made my family and friends laugh at the idea, but I have to say it worked really well! I can now get upstairs fairly okay so can bath in the normal bath, but I quite miss my little pool!

I wondered if anyone else experienced what I have been feeling for the past day or two... slight tightness over the top of my foot and all my toes feel a little weird. Maybe its the nerves coming back to life? I hadn't had too much pain apart from the first few days, but this past week seems to have brought more discomfort (rather than actual pain I would say) back. My feet look reasonably okay although still a bit red and swollen especially when I've been walking about too much. Any advice or reassurance would be very welcome, thank you.

• Posted

Rebecca. You poor lamb. Whoever told you to not use your crutches so soon and also to wear something other than your special post-op shoe wants striking off! It's appalling! You've only got to read the various comments posted on this discussion to see that what you've been told to do is completely at odds with all the advice/information for patients following this surgery. Don't even think about abandoning your post-op shoe or the crutches. I wore my heel wedge shoe for a full 6 and a half weeks and then was given another flat soled shoe to be worn for a further 2 weeks. I used my crutches as and when I needed to and found walking about outside not easy without using at the very least, one crutch. You have definitely been very ill advised. your toe will throb and feel as though it has a tight band around it but trust me, it will improve but even now nearly 11 weeks after my surgery there is still some swelling but this is nothing like it was in the early days and I am now able to see the veins on the top of my foot and feel the little toe bones again through the skin. Just like my other foot. You will get there I promise. Good luck!

Gillian 14549

• Posted

Thank you. I'm 4 weeks on Wednesday and find it hard to walk outside the house! Still wearing my special shoe. Trying to do the toe exercises but with no success as I can't feel my big toe. Swelling not to bad but still purple lol

I don't know when I should be putting my foot flat and walking by pushing off with my shoe, the advice leaflet says from 2 weeks!

Love this forum.. Such a good idea to chat to people in the same situation 😀

• Posted

Hi, Rebecca. You are not unusual in the way your foot/toes feels. I didn't put my foot flat to the floor until after the 6th week and walking outside was not something I managed to do with ease or comfort until about the 5th /6th week. I suggest you go easy with the toe exercises. All the toes on my foot have been numb and I have only got the feeling back in the last few days and I'm almost at the 11 week stage. At 4 weeks I couldn't have put my foot flat on the floor and was told not to even try and to wear the heel wedge shoe at all times. This advice leaflet you keep to which you refer confuses me. I think you perhaps need to actually speak to someone at the hospital where your operation was done - either the secretary of your consultant or the ward where you were cared for - and get some clear advice and guidance. Like you say, the forum is a good idea as it allows us to share our experiences and compare notes.

Good luck!

• Posted

I rang the surgeon today coz my foot has gone a blue/ purple colour which can't be bruising coz that had gone. This is probably why my foot is numb!

I'm going Wednesday for an X-ray and check all is ok with the pins and screws etc

I think the aftercare leaflet is for someone who has only had a bit of bone shaved and they walk out the surgery room not the with the extent of the surgery we have had done.

They have told me to bandage back up and wear special shoe till I have been seen.

Thank god they listening atlast, I think they have made a mistake but obviously not going to say they have given wrong advice for the wrong operation! Hope I not done any damage by trying exercises and walking etc so a bit worried that's why they want to X-ray 😞

It will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and the worst 4 weeks ever

Thanks everyone

• Posted

Hi Rebecca. Just a few points. Why have THEY told YOU to bandage up your foot?( Or have I misunderstood you? ) The bandaging is quite a special art and needs a nurse to do it to align the toes and foot properly and also to apply the correct amount of support the bandage needs to give. Are you sure that they told you to do the bandaging. I'm sure they haven't. You need to follow this up. Also, The x-ray will reveal the progress so you must not worry about it. I had x-rays at 6 weeks. This enables consultant to compare these with the x-rays you had before the operation. Just as a matter of interest, where did you have your operation? Can I suggest you keep on to them. Also, at only 4 weeks since you're operation, you must keep your foot elevated as much as possible to help the healing process. The blue /purple colour you mention is probably the bruising caused by the operation. You think, if you bang yourself, you get a bruise. Your foot has been under great stress and trauma from the operation. It's only to be expected that you'll have bruising. My turned almost black! But it's a healthy pink colour now. I was under no illusion about the amount of possible pain and discomfort this operation can cause. And I was therefore prepared for a very bad time in terms of pain. But, because I followed all advice and rested and kept the foot elevated ( boring as it all was) I feel it has helped my recovery enormously. There must be lots of people out there who have this operation and ignore all the advice they are given and they will probably suffer as a result. Sadly, this will delay the healing and recovery. Our feet take a lot of hammer. They bear our weight for a start and the things we put them through just walking about is bound to cause wear and tear. We need to look after them. I hope you soon feel a little happier. AND 4 weeks is not a long time since your operation. Hang on in there. I read 5 books in the first 6 weeks after my op and yes, I did get bored of sitting in the same chair with my foot up, and bored and frustrated that I wasn't able to stand and do the ironing because it made my foot throb. So I sat down and did a few items at a time and then put my foot up for a while and then resumed the ironing. But, I'm getting there and yesterday I was able to go out for lunch with my daughter and do a bit of window shopping. So, try to be patient.
  • Posted

I had a huge cyst removed from under my big right toe almost 7 weeks ago. I just started on crutches with light heel touch a few days ago. The swelling has just now started to go down. I'm still unable to get my foot wet and I have to clean my incision with a special spray and then cover with as mediplex patch and wrap with gauze. I'm starting to get sharp jabbing pains in my toe as well. My recovery time so far has been almost 7 weeks. My surgery was 9/18 and I return to work on 12/6. I'm 56 and the recovery has been very hard for me.
  • Posted

I have just come across this post as I am having a lot of pain all night like stabbing pains as I go into my 5th week.  I had the same info as you - crutches returned and to go out and buy trainers straight away after 2 weeks.  I walked into the sports shop like someone drunk and could not get any of the womens trainers on so came away with some quite unsuitable mens before buying some wide fit trainer style leather shoes later that week. You are the only person I have come across in forums who got the same instructions as me after only 2 weeks. Do you live in the north of England?
  • Posted

11 days ago I had foot surgery done on my left foot. I had right foot done two years ago. I had hammertoe on second,third and fourth toes. Also I had a bunion and they fused my big toe because of arthritis..

Surgery went well. I have the big boot and have to stay off my foot. Problem: I get sharp pain in my foot. It happens so fast I usually let out a yell or jjump? Is that normal?

Thanks

Meme

MOuse

• Posted

Hiya Doreen I had the same surgery on 21.3.17

Had my hammer toe amputated half way and had my big to straightened by way of messing with my tendons etc. I also have the black shoe and at 10 days post op, Im having the most hellish shooting pains through my foot which jerk my leg into the air. Its so painful Im contemplating going to my local walk in centre to see if its normal!

Hope you're ok and make a speedy recovery xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.