I was diagnosed March 2006 with Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed March 2006 with LEMS. I noticed extreme leg and arm weakness,total exhaustion, and blurred vision almost straight after my mother's death on 26 December 2005. I was prescribed Pyridostigmine. This had little effect, so was then prescribed Diaminoopyridine, which gave me a little improved strength for a couple of hours, but still couldnt walk any distance. Normally by mid afternoon I am totally exhausted with muscle aches and pain. I am now taking both the tablets and find I am improved about 30%. Some days I feel really weak and depressed. There is no pattern to these days, as some times I have relaxed on the previous day, then other times I have exerted myself prior to a bad day. I dont know if this is related but a month ago I was diagnosed with a secondary cataract.

I feel unsupported, as my consultant informed me LEMS is a rare condition and not a great deal known about it. I would appreciate it if anyone knows of a support group.

[i:c341229ddd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c341229ddd]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi think i've made a right mess of replying to you! you'll find my message in the section under my original comment dated 08/06 [ the view current replies, sorry!

[i:bf6d95ec9e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bf6d95ec9e]

• Posted

Did i already reply to your letter? I apologize. I have responded to so many i have forgotten who i spoke with. :oops: If not then know you are not alone. My husband and i are working in conjunction with a doctor here who also had LEMS and wants to start a support group. Will keep you posted. Take care and don't give up.

Best wishes,

Zaneta and Steve Wirtz

P.O. Box 177

Wolf Creek, OR 97497-0177 USA

• Posted

Hi I'm jasmin and I am 24 years old I got diagnosed with lems about 2 year ago !! Have had no body to talk to and feel so alone !! My mobility has deteriorated as with everything else ! I'm also on prednisolone and 3:4 dap and have treatments every 4 weeks through drip !! I have a 5 year old daughter!! I do struggle so much ! It feels a constant battle for every day to day activities !! Would be overly to actual talk to some one who knows how it feels !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.