I have had low iron for years caused by heavy periods. Can low iron cause headaches, anxiety, overeating due to tiedness/exhaustion??

Posted , 26 users are following.

I take Iron which tops my iron levels up 2 or 3 points a little. And when I stop iron, it becomes an issue again. I am 49 years old. Can anyone share their anaemia experience-and possible recovery? Thanks you.

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, low iron can cause all of these symptoms. I have had headaches, anxiety and have felt very hunger and tired. So tired, I didn't want to get up or do anything. I have had them all and they do get worse when on your period since the iron leaves through the blood. You have to get your iron into normal range before the symptoms will go away.
  • Posted

Thanks for responding. What is "normal levels?"
  • Posted

Normal Reference numbers are 12-150 ng/mL for females. It is a reference number doctor's use because everyone is different. But this is what they consider to be normal range. And since everyone is different you might not feel better until you are at the high end rather than the low end of the reference number.
  • Posted

Hi, I have just been told I am anaemic I am 47 years old, I was tired,exhausted,heavy periods and really bad anxiety and pale, headaches but I was not hungry. Also have a chronic cough for 10 weeks. One week on iron tablets I am not tired, feel stronger and no headache but still coughing, side effects on my iron tablets killer heartburn, constipation.
  • Posted

You are going to have to take iron supplements of some kind until you reach menopause.

One of my sister-in-law's who has heavy periods in her late 40s has been told this after having a blood transfusion.

• Posted

I am 43 and diagnosed with anaemia in February after needing an emergency blood tranfusion.  Doctor has found no other reason, luckily, but seems like heavy periods which last too long, and perimeopause.  

I have been put on the contraceptive pill and take iron tablets 3 times a day after food, because my stomach doesn't like it otherwise, I get diarrhoea. I already suffer with IBS.  

I had headaches almost every day before diagnosis, breathlessness, anxiety, depression, restless legs at night, overeating because I felt I needed more energy, walking up stairs left my heart pounding so hard I was in fear of a heart attack because of the strain my body was obviously under.

Since my diagnosis, and straight after my transfusion I felt so much better I could hardly believe the change.  I could hardly walk from the car to the hospital before the transfusion!  I do have anxiety still, but it is at a manageable level. My energy has gone up so much I am constantly amazed at what I can do now.  After believing this was just the way I was, with depression etc, it's amazing to learn I can feel so much better.

I am still on the iron, it has only been six months, and my periods have not been regulated by the pill.  At first they almost stopped, but now have started again and are too long, which is really frustrating. I am not sure how long I will have to take the iron for, but until my periods are sorted I guess it will be part of my day. But I am so relieved by the energy levels, and lack of other symptoms I am happy to be taking it.  

Thank you, godblessed, for sharing your post. I am always interested to hear about other people's experiences with anaemia and their symptoms. I hope my post was not too long, and helps you even if its only a little.  

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Thanks for sharing. Your sharing has helped me to see see clearly how anaemia plays out and affects the body-especially mixed in with perimenopause. My blood count recently was iron 26 and hemeaglobin 11.8. In febraury this year it was 25 & 11.2. Not a great raise and if I wasn't taking iron it would have gone down. Low iron is also affecting my hair growth- especially at the back of my head. I have researched and it has been said the an iron count of 50 plus is optimal for hair growth. So my aim is to get up to that mark and beyond, but like you that means taking iron tablets for as long as I have periods. Must had that nearly 4 months ago I had the mirena ciol fitted as a form of contraception and to hjelp with heavy period. My body is still adjusting i think, but even though my periods are light they go on and on and on. This is day 15 of my period-very very light. Perviously my periods-though heavier-only lasted 4 days., so I am finding this new experiod somewhat annoying, though i am happy periods no longer heavy. Also I have been using the last 5 months a iron supplement to help with hair growth-it doesn't have as much iron as the ferrous fumerate I am presribed, so when they finish I will go back to the prescription iron.

Hope this post makes sense as my computer is playing up so I have been able to check for errors.

Best wishes xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I'm currently taking 210mg ferrous fumarate 3 times a day. My level was 5 when I was first diagnosed. Since the transfusion and iron tablets my levels have been fine. But the doctor says she wants to keep me on the iron for a while yet, just to be sure all is well because it was so low. 

She suggested mirena coil to me, but I know too many people with problems, also my anxiety makes anything (examinations) like that really difficult. Hearing that you still have lots of days bleeding, as I have with the pill, makes me more certain I don't want the coil! I'm seeing her again on Monday. She really listens and has been great. 

I haven't noticed a problem with hair growth. I sometimes think my hair falls out a lot, but it has always been thick and sometimes does seem that way. It's very short too. But hormones can affect hair growth, like when you're pregnant. 

I am taking a Well Woman multivitamin supplement, with evening primrose and starflower. I've always found that one good. 

I wonder about my calcium levels though, especially with menopause. I try to avoid have too much calcium because it affects iron absorption. I only drink about one cup of decaf a day now, and drink more fruit juice with meals for the vitamin c which aids absorption. How about you? 

• Posted

I do the same a bit with calcium-avoiding, but it's in my multi-vatimin, so that's ok. I am thinking I should up my iron-I was just taking one. I take a good well women muliti-vitamin. And oh yes, like you said, menopause can affect hair. I also up my vitamin c intake in fruit, juice, vegetables etc. But yes, I wiil start to take at least 2 iron tablets xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa! 

I can't believe how similar our sympoms are!  I stumbled upon this site due to that I am feeling tired all of a sudden once again.  I was on iron supplements for six months and stopped in August.  during the last couple of weeks I feel that the tiredness has returned.  Do you think my iron levels have dropped again?  I've had 5 to 6 heavy periods since stopping the supplements...  Kindly Yours..Leah (aged 42)

• Posted

Hi Lisa

Need ur advice if u can.

I am 28 yeara Old female had heave bleeding problem many months ago say 7-9 months before. Tingling symptoms started just month before and daignosed it ia iron def and low hemoglobin 11.1.

I've iron tablets from just 2 days before. And yesterday. Iv got red shiny spot, tiny spot like on my arms and 2 are at back also. Last week ive taken Multivitamin injections also so far 2 times.

I am confused that could it be a side effect or may be hemoglobin bcme too low thats y in that case I beleive emergenxy blood transfusion is required, rite?

Do I need to visit doctor or wait till a week at least as have just started treatment of iron def.?

Thanks

Reema

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

​        My name is Pam. I had a horrible experience with my menstrual cycle as you did.  Reading through post and was surprised that there are people out there like me.  I recently had a blood transfusion and was also put on bc pills.  I am 44 years old.  I am considering an ablation, but it really is a scary experience.  I also could not walk from the car to the hospital.  Taking 3 iron pills per day. Since your post was about a year ago, I was just wondering how you are now.  Did the bc pills help with the heavy bleeding?  Interested to hear, thanks.

• Posted

Hi Pam. 

I was on the iron tablets for about a year. My iron levels remained steady and the bc pills have kept my periods much lighter. Sometimes I don't get one at all, though I'm not sure if that is due to menopause or tablets? 

My health is so much better I am a different person. I have anxiety and attributed most of my symptoms to that. I knew my periods were heavy, but didn't know how heavy IS too heavy? I had no dea that was e problem. 

I have been off the iron tablets for 8 months now and although I haven't had my levels checked I feel well. Wish you all the best with yours and hope you feel well soon. 

• Posted

yes anemia can cause all you said and some. I currently am having dizziness and joint pain, fatigue and headaches. my hematologist wants me to have an endometrial ablation to lessen my blood loss from menstration. I'm still pondering that one. in the meanwhile she called 2 days ago wanting me to come in for  iron infusion therapy. I'm not real big on that idea either. I do know if it gets too low it can cause irreversable health effects especially on your heart. I've been on iron pills for the last 6 years straight. oddly enough each time it has got too low I've displayed a different symptom. I'm 41 and I figure a few more years and I'll be going through menopause and not have to worry about it anymore. good luck, hope you feel better.
  • Posted

Yes low iron can caus all you mentioned And more. I've had heart palpitations, restless legs, and many other problems all from having low iron and ferritin. My hematologist wanted me to ask my gynecologist about having a uterine ablation so I wouldn't have such heavy periods anymore. I'm 41 and have had severely heavy periods for years and like you I take the iron pills but once I stop then it goes way back down again. I haven't had the uterine ablation done though, I am too chicken. I figure a few more years and I'll be hitting menopause and my problems will be solved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.