Different brands of amlodipine

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I take Amlodipine 5mg and have found that with one particular brands I get more side effects than with the other, and I wondered if anyone has had the same experience. I am obviously cautious about mentioning particular brands on a public forum, but the main point is that the pharmacist disagreed that there could be differences and that this could be the cause of the problem, but I have insisted on returning to the original brand I was given, and feel MUCH better. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks so much for your ideas on this one.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi gerard2834 I have not found that myself the contents should be exactly the same, but who knows..
  • Posted

Hi Gerard

I was talking about this with my pharmacist just a few days ago. He assured me that the chemical make-up of the necessary active ingredient for treating the condition is the same but the fillers/coatings can be different. I have heard of some people reacting to certain colourings in the different coatings. I remember years ago when my Mum was prescribed certain pills for BP, the hospital emphasised that she should always have the same brand. There are so many generic (and cheaper!) versions around these days. I hope you continue to get hold of the original brand you were given, but if it's more expensive you may have trouble as the pharmacists have to provide the cheapest versions available.

• Posted

Hi Gerard

I know this is an old post, but others my be asking the same question. I agree with you on this one. I've been on this dreadful drug since November. I recently ran out of the original ones I was taking. They were 10mg which I found were too high a dose, I could break then easily with my fingers, so I ended up with a dose of 7,5mag by breaking them in half, the breaking one of the half's in half again, reducing the tablet to 50% & two x 25% ( stay with me now ) I would take the 50% and one 25% giving me a 75% dose.

Here's the point. When I got my new batch the were not of the same composition I could no longer break them up with my fingers & when cut, they would crumble. Anyway upon taking these (in my 75% dose) I noticed the side effects were not as pronounced, cool. However on my next prescription I was give the original generic form, the one that breaks easily & guess what? Within a few days the more pronounced side effects were back. There's no doubt in my mind. No two forms of generic Amlodipine are the same or equal. Either way it's a most dreadful drug. I'm cutting down & coming off these things.

I hope this helps someone.. T.C

• Posted

Folks, please forgive me mistakes. My brain and memory have not been the same since I started on these tabs.. Ahhhhgggg!!!
  • Posted

Your experience of having different a tolerance to different manufacturers of the same medication is sadly common. I experienced it continually when working in a community health team on my home vists. I later had the same experience as you, as I am now on Amlodipine. Speak to your GP, as I did. Unfortunately, drugs are sourced from many suppiers and some are re-packaged to conform to the local chemist's House Style. My own does this and I once, when on Losartan (a nightmare of side effects) had four different manufacturers in 7 presrciptions. Although it is now always in the House Style packaging, the contents can have come from different sources - so the problem continues. Only when supplied from the original manufacturer will we get continuity.

Other comments on memory is also common and was a particular concern for me as most of my home visits were to people with dementia. I often wondered if the memory dificulties were exacerbated by the person's use of Amlodipine (and other medications to lower high blood pressure). My partner and I (both on Amlodipine) both exprerience recall problems rather than memory loss. It has become our "in joke" when we have an "absense moment".

• Posted

Thanks Inquisitive for sharing your experience.

I've managed to ween myself off Amlodipine & my blood pressure has not increased. Been without them for the last 5 days. I can feel my legs again. YEAAA! had a rough time trying to come of this stuff, but i'm still here..

Over & Out!!

• Posted

I have had the same problem, only 6 weeks ago I was given apparently same medication with new packaging they said. Same ingredients? This new one has given me leg cramps and swelling of the legs like you would not believe. Hence I totally agree with you, previous pills I was ok so obviously not only package changed. The first pills small, the next lot have a separation available to break in two. Did not even think about it, until decided to find out what was the go with the legs and the cramps. Is there a way to find out ingredients of last medicatin versus new one as I for one do not believe for one second they are the same. Nothing like experience for belief. Any suggestions. Also what did your initial pills look like please. Cheers tas
    • Posted

hi tas its len7  they should white twice the size of a paracetamol and round for 10mg.  somtimes with ab5 written on one side. i had the same ones all the time from the same chemist they were made by ma holder teva uk LTD  , i made sure i had the same ones every time, because they have the same active ingrediant in them but different makes use different products to put them together such as emulsifiers and salts ETC. that can disagree with some people, so besides the side effects you get with this drug you can get even worse side effects.  allways go to the same chemist and if they try to give you a different version tell them they dont suit you you want the make you are used to. all the best.
  • Posted

hi gerard 62834    its not the ingrediants thats the problem thats the same all over it what is used to set them together like when you make concrete it will not set untill you add cement. and they all use different things. when you find a brand that gives you less problems try to stick to it tell your pharmacist its the only one you can take they should make sure its stocked for you.  unfortunatly in GB they go for the cheapist, i hope you are feeling better soon.   len 7
    • Posted

Hello Len, read your reply to Gerard and used this explanation to my doctor. I took both boxes to her old/new and upon inspection she advised that I had been given the generic brand and hence the side effects. The legs and the cramps. She says to elevate the legs until the old brand kicks in. I would like to know how this is meant to be achieved whilst  trying to go about every day life. Might I add that the generic brand in Australia was 70c cheaper. Anyway thank you for the feedback it has been very helpful to me, not to mention the legs are only slightly swollen and very few cramps now. Thank you so much. Glad I found this site. Cheers tas
  • Posted

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Since February I have had an ultrasound to investigate abdominal pain that arose after the second brand of amlodipine - negative. I am also awaiting a cardiology appt. in July in regards to chest pains (these stopped in April after switching back to the original brand).

I have reported the batch of amlodipine 5mg in question via the yellow card system and asked for a copy to be sent to my GP. I will let you know what happens.

I am now on a third make of amlodipine - this time virtually no side effects except a general feeling of tiredness (which I can live with).

All the best to everyone who has the dubious privilege of taking this drug!

Gerard

• Posted

Gerard - hope it's third time lucky!  I was switched from Amlodipine to Diltiazem (still get swollen ankles as it's from the same family) plus Losartan Potassium which is spoken highly of by the pharmacist as causing the least side effects. 
  • Posted

Hi Gerard

i went onto 10mg instead of 5 & I suffered with a es immigrants head feeling as IPF I'm going to lose my balance. I went back onto 5mg. I noticed later that the branch I had on 10mg  was  made by accord I'm on it again now on 5mg & I'm back getting the  unsteady  feeling back. So yes I believe it depends on the make.

anyone else suffered with the same side effect?

• Posted

I take Amlodipine 5 mg. and I was having trouble with side effects and one doctor said he could not help me and told me he thought I should find another doctor . So I went to a new doctor and he said that it was caused from the Coating that the manufacturer put on the pills and I was allergic to the Coating. He also said this happened to his wife so he knew what could and would occur with side effects from the Coating on the Pill. You might want to find a different place to buy your pills as a different Manufacturer might coat it with something you are not allergic to. I was buying from Walgreens and my Doctor told me to go to a Publix food store in the area and I was okay. Now I found I am having trouble again and I found that they changed the manufacturer. I have to look for another place to buy my pills.
  • Posted

It is the coating that the Manufacturer puts on the Pills. My Doctor told me to go to another place to get my meds. You need to find out the Manufacturer name and avoid that one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.