CYCLIZINE, NEVER EVER AGAIN !!

Posted , 3 users are following.

[I had a stomach operation in April, and on the day I should have left hospital, I felt sick.I was given this drug by an I.V. access in the back of my hand. The nurse hadn't even finished the jab, when I got a horrendous chest pain, followed by the most excruciatingly uncomfortable 4 1/2 hours of my life! My whole body started convulsing, like someone had connected me to 40,000 volts, and it was being sent through my body every 30 seconds to a few minutes at a time. I have a heart problem, and I don't think I should of had the drug, even though I have had prochloperazine(a similar anti-sickness) drug in the past. I can assure you, this was not just a mere reaction to the drug. Since surfing around the net for some answers to my symptoms, I've found that they were that of a cyclizine overdose, although, I think the dose was possibly correct ! Steer clear of this drug if you haven't had it before,especially if you have heart trouble. This event has scarred me for life,and if anyone comes near me with it again, I'll personally shoot them. Take note, drugs have horrid affects sometimes, and I think I'd rather be sick!!! :arrow: :arrow: :grrr:

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i am a general nurse and in my 10 years nursing i have not come across any problems with cyclizine. however, on my admission to hospital for an operation, i was back just a few hours using pca i began feeling sick. i felt off my face and the feeling of nausea was horrendous. within seconds of having iv cyclizine i fell into unatural dreams and for 10 mins i was terrified of what i thought was happening to me. i have recovered but this experience has left me terrified and i will not be administering cyclizine to any of my post op patients ever again,
  • Posted

I underwent a shoulder op on 21st april 08 at north tees hospital and I was given Cyclizine ,my op was at 10-30 am the next thing I knew it was 8pm on the night and there I was with this red wrist band on, only to find out off my wife and a doctor that they had to fight to save me due to the cyclizine , Im only glad I cant remember and was out of it on morphine , after reading your reaction to the drug, ive since had another op and was OK they gave a different drug . If people have that reaction to this drug it should be banned
  • Posted

[I ALSO HAVE HAD A THE SAME REACTION, AND 4 MONTH ON STILL SUFFERING.

I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO KNOW IF YOU ARE ANY BETTER, AND IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME. PLEASE CONTACT ME. RACHAEL

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)

• Posted

hi im 22 weeks preg and caught a bad stomach bug that caused sever sikness and dehydration i was given this drug IM and was told i could go home, they new i had 2 very young children with me and was driving home and wasnt told of any side affects or that i couldnt drive, within 15 mins of having it i was halousonating was very dissy and tired felt sick paniky and had bad panik attacks and slured speach. i neary crashed my car twice and would never touch the drug again!
  • Posted

Hiya, i've been in and out of hospital since 2002 and always had cyclizine. I've never had a reaction and i've had it over 100 times now. I hope you all get better smile
  • Posted

i took a cyclazine overdose (approx 35 tabs) & was in resus with heart problems & then was in a psycotic state for 3 days with visual psycosis hearing things but 2 me everything was real it was drug induced psycosis it was the most horrific thing i EVER went through & after 3 days on a hospital ward with psycosis i was sectiond under section 2 (28 days) & in the psycriatrc ward there was also another girl who was EXACTLY the same from CYCLAZINE i got better after a week of psycosis & was let home ...i have NEVER touched it again & never will

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.