Co-proxamol has stronger affects than codine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am disgusted at the forthcoming ban of Co-proxamol, as stated in previous posts, at the end of this year (2007). For years I have suffered from anxiety and cronic pain. My GP prescribed various meds over the years: beta-blockers, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics (!), benzopines etc; nothing worked. I was (and am) practical house-bound, a normal lad who use to enjoy clubbing, chatting up girls, beer, apologising to girls :wink: , but *never* drugs, then BANG I was unable to function as a \"normal\" human. Years later I was prescribed Co-proxamol for the pain, after taking two tablets felt the \"edge\" wear off.

I soon tried 4 tablets and I was back to my normal self for around 5 hours at a time. Whilst on CP I was able to hold down a 12 hour a day job 6 days a week - yes I was taking up to 12 tablets a day (3x4) but never seemed to need more. I never built up a tolerance. I was worried, though, the effect of the paracetamol over the long term and cut down. I had to reduce the hours I worked but could still go clubbing, and quickly found out that drink and CP don't mix! Stuck to Cokes and Shandy and enjoyed the good old days again anyway.

I've read that Co-proxamol is no better than codine or paracetamol - this, in my opinion is wrong in my specific case. Paramol, an over the counter med with paracetamol and dihydrocodeine, has no affect on me - even at the double dose - either as a pain killer or anti-anxiety agent. My GP has now prescribed Tramadol - a stronger pain killer! -, as he can no longer prescribe Co-proxamol, but, again, at double dose it barely takes the edge (or pain) away.

I personally believe that the reason these stronger pain-killers have not worked for me is the way they react to the brain's opioid receptors, specifically the mu-opioid receptor, subset 3 (euphoria). The active ingredient in Co-proxamol, dextropropoxyphene, has a stronger effect on MuS3 than that of the other analgesic meds I've tried. In hospital I've been given Morphine - and this, like, CP made me my normal energetic self once more, if only for a few hours this; however, is not an option.

Again I must state that at no time did I build up a tolerance to CP for the years I was on it, and \"coming off it\" was fine - save for the fact I was back to my \"new\" old self - edgy, no energy, no motivation etc. Exactly as I been before taking the CP. Why a normal person went from normal to this almost melancholy state I may never know. I think it is a physical problem with the brain and it is not producing enough natural endophines.

I say again I never took illegal drugs as a kid/teen though I enjoyed many a beer - it's a mystery - and because of these new guidelines I have to suffer, and it is not on. Of-course the rich sufferers can go private and off-licence, if needed. The poor will have to do with heroin - luckly I hate needles and smoking! smile

Come on PCTs, GPs, MPs, Lords et al. sort it out please.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

[my best friend buys me boxes of co-proxamol ,over the counter.unfortunetly this is from malta,so if you know anybody that visits that country put your order in,they cost about £3.00 -£3.50 a box.good luck, i wouldn't be without mine. smile
  • Posted

[quote:a7402241ab=\"just a normal bloke\"]I am disgusted at the forthcoming ban of Co-proxamol, as stated in previous posts, at the end of this year (2007). For years I have suffered from anxiety and cronic pain. My GP prescribed various meds over the years: beta-blockers, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics (!), benzopines etc; nothing worked. I was (and am) practical house-bound, a normal lad who use to enjoy clubbing, chatting up girls, beer, apologising to girls :wink: , but *never* drugs, then BANG I was unable to function as a \"normal\" human. Years later I was prescribed Co-proxamol for the pain, after taking two tablets felt the \"edge\" wear off.

I soon tried 4 tablets and I was back to my normal self for around 5 hours at a time. Whilst on CP I was able to hold down a 12 hour a day job 6 days a week - yes I was taking up to 12 tablets a day (3x4) but never seemed to need more. I never built up a tolerance. I was worried, though, the effect of the paracetamol over the long term and cut down. I had to reduce the hours I worked but could still go clubbing, and quickly found out that drink and CP don't mix! Stuck to Cokes and Shandy and enjoyed the good old days again anyway.

I've read that Co-proxamol is no better than codine or paracetamol - this, in my opinion is wrong in my specific case. Paramol, an over the counter med with paracetamol and dihydrocodeine, has no affect on me - even at the double dose - either as a pain killer or anti-anxiety agent. My GP has now prescribed Tramadol - a stronger pain killer! -, as he can no longer prescribe Co-proxamol, but, again, at double dose it barely takes the edge (or pain) away.

I personally believe that the reason these stronger pain-killers have not worked for me is the way they react to the brain's opioid receptors, specifically the mu-opioid receptor, subset 3 (euphoria). The active ingredient in Co-proxamol, dextropropoxyphene, has a stronger effect on MuS3 than that of the other analgesic meds I've tried. In hospital I've been given Morphine - and this, like, CP made me my normal energetic self once more, if only for a few hours this; however, is not an option.

Again I must state that at no time did I build up a tolerance to CP for the years I was on it, and \"coming off it\" was fine - save for the fact I was back to my \"new\" old self - edgy, no energy, no motivation etc. Exactly as I been before taking the CP. Why a normal person went from normal to this almost melancholy state I may never know. I think it is a physical problem with the brain and it is not producing enough natural endophines.

I say again I never took illegal drugs as a kid/teen though I enjoyed many a beer - it's a mystery - and because of these new guidelines I have to suffer, and it is not on. Of-course the rich sufferers can go private and off-licence, if needed. The poor will have to do with heroin - luckly I hate needles and smoking! smile

Come on PCTs, GPs, MPs, Lords et al. sort it out please.[/quote:a7402241ab]HI, like you amd many others co-proxamol was the only med that worked for me,i tried all other types of pain releif and none worked and only caused me more medical problems. I know have been prescribed co-proxamol after an 12 month battle with my GP, and with help from a CPN nurse (as due to been taken off co-proxamol i now have severe deppression cause by pain and other meds) she reccomended to my doctor to give me back co-proxamol as it would help my deppression due to the severe pain. im one of the lucky ones and feel for all others who are in the same postion. But do you know you can get them back on a named patient basis and you also write your doctor a letter saying you or any member of your family will not hold him responsable ect: Try it and demand your GP takes you serious. Good Luck. paul

• Posted

Hi all

I am under the impression that co-proxamol was taken off the market due to the high number of accidental deaths due to accidental overdoses??????

One of my closest friends lost her sister to an accidental overdose of this drug :cry:

I was prescribed it a few before my hysterectomy and had to ak for something different because no sooner had I come round from the feeling of drowsiness it was time to take 2 more for the pain.

I actually felt poisoned and drugged up.

What they were saying is that some people are not able to absorb and rid their bodies of the toxins in this tablet (or to that effect) and so overdosed accidently.

I believe I am one of those people. I was like a zombie which worsened with each 6 hourly dose.

Ask yourselves very serioyusly, do you feel they are the only tablets that will work because of the sedated feeling they give you? Or are they seriously the only painkiller on the market that manages your pain?

If it is the latter, then is that not a matter of being addicted to this drug rather than other drugs don't help the pain?

I am not being critical here, but in all fairness, co-proxomal is a very old drug when used as pain relief and so much progress has been made in managing pain relief.

Be honest addiction or stronger drugs don't work?

Melbi xx

• Posted

I used CoProxamol for years, off and on, as it was the only analgesic I found which had any effect on my back pain, without obvious side effects. And I tried them all, I think! I too was very aggrieved when the CoSM ruled that it was to be banned.

However, I have researched the reasoning behind the ban. It is not so much that people have deliberately used CoP to end their lives, but the dangerous side effect it has on heart rythm - put simply, even at the upper permitted dosage, it can cause the heart rythm to go haywire, and by the time you realise something's wrong, it's too late; and this cannot be corrected with an antidote, even if you get to A & E in time. If other heart drugs, such as beta-blockers, are used at the same time, it becomes an even worse situation, which is not what was intended (usually). Personally, I want to kill the pain, not me!

• Posted

If it helps at all, you could try LDN for mood, motivation. Google it, it uses the opoid receptors and helps all sorts of conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.