Diclofenac side effects

Posted , 17 users are following.

:I have been prescribed Diclofenac 50mg 3 times a day for pain and restricted movement due to frozen shoulder.

After 3 days of taking the tablets I started getting stomach pains and diarrhoea, so stopped taking them. On the 4th day the stomach ache lasted all day - not severe but annoying enough to be a nuisance.

I am today going to try reducing the dose to 2x50mg a day and see if that lessens the side effects. On the plus side the movement in my shoulder did seem a little better after just 3 days on the tablets.

The dr has put me on them for 3 weeks only and will reassess after that.

Anyone else had these side effects?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the same was given the tablets by A&E, I started bringing up blood soon after! 2 weeks on after stopping the tablet im still unable to cope with food! I researched this drug and the results were scarey! This drug should be removed !
  • Posted

Gastrointestinal upsets are among the most commonly reported side effects to diclofenac. I would say that in my experience severe reactions to diclofenac (if prescribed correctly) are rare. There is a type of medication available on prescription from your GP that can lessen the gastric side effects - see under omeprazole. Always take diclofenac with food - on an empty stomach is never a good idea.
  • Posted

hi julia, i personally think each person is different, i take diclofenac and i've been fine, i take it for OA, prolapsed disc, and DDD, i doesn't get rid of the pain completely but i know it helps :magic: , but i've been told that i shouldn't be on it for too long, by a :doctor:, but i'll ask my gp next time i see him, cos i was on meloxicam and they upset my tummy, and i really don't want to try anymore, maybe it depends on what other medication you on :!: talk to your gp maybe he can change them cos thats the last thing you want eh....

take care, hope you get things sorted, and that you feel better soon :cheerup:

mandy

• Posted

Hi i have just logged on for some help i have been on diclofenic for well over 8 years and have just been told by doctor to stop taking as they have damaged my kidneys, am waiting for other blood works to come back now to see how bad or what else i can take. have been on strong painkillers and muscle relaxants since having an accident in 1997
  • Posted

Hi there

Declofenec or decl!!oflex is a god send like someone said if you take with food you should be fine!!!! My doctor gives me lansoprazole , gastro-resistant capsules and I have been on declofenec for over 6 months and I am ok!!!!

take care all

Regards

SES

• Posted

Hi been on diclofenac for over a year now for spondilitis. dont know how id manage without it. always take after food and with plenty of water. Doc gave me gostro tabs to start with but took away after 2 months as ody then used to them. so far ok!!!! :D started on max of 150g now managing on 50 or 75g a day.
  • Posted

hi there all

I went to a pain clinic and the doctor there said as he had a broken coaxic he didn't need medication and I don't need it neither, he said there was nothing particular wrong with me but yet put me on Gabapentine (for neuropathic nerve pain)and he said to take the declofenic as and when needed, but as it is you need to take it on a regular basis as I have found the effects are not the same.........Declofenic has to be taken regularly and it works well with Tramadol.

regards

SES

• Posted

Hi

I'm on diclofenac 100 but I can hardly stay awake on them. They slow my reactions down even though I don't drive. I forget things and can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. They mildly help with the pain, but not enough for me to forget it!. They also give me constipation, acne on my back and high blood pressure and I'd love to try a different strong pain killer without these side effects. Can anyone recommend a different pain killer that may help I've tried all the ones in Boots.

• Posted

Hi replying to Guest.....

Replace Diclofenac with Tramadol. I started on Diclofenac and am now on Tramadol and this is how it has clouded my thinking!

• Posted

Hi there All

I had been on Diclofenac and in total I have been on anti - inflammatories for over a year, now I find that my liver function test is four times the amount it should be? Surely this isn't healthy and after seeing the consultant on Thursday he said that they can help you be over weight. So what do you do? I am wondering if there is a tablet or something you can take to stop you from being over weight due to anti-inflammatory consumption? something too somehow counter act the effects?????

As it is my prescription is to be changed to another one, Celecoxib and as I have an underactive thyroid it is difficult to loose weight anyway, what can we do for long time use of anti- inflammatories?

Kind Regards

SES

:oops:

• Posted

Side effects for all drugs are different in each person who takes it. i have not really seen alot of difference with Diclofenac, but i know others who have been quite ill. The suck it and see method it all the doctors have to go on, you try it if it doesn't agree with you stop taking it and go back and get something else and try again. i have been going through this cycle for many years and have given up several times, but there is always new stuff and new research

Claire

• Posted

My wife was prescribed these for almost the same problem - painful [shoulder] joint syndrome. They worked fine except that a blood test revealed the potassium level in her kidneys had shot up to a potentially dangerous level. She had to stop the diclofenac and is now suffering a recurrence of the shoulder pain and looking for an alternative NSAID.

[quote:92631d0bef=\"Julia\"]:I have been prescribed Diclofenac 50mg 3 times a day for pain and restricted movement due to frozen shoulder.

After 3 days of taking the tablets I started getting stomach pains and diarrhoea, so stopped taking them. On the 4th day the stomach ache lasted all day - not severe but annoying enough to be a nuisance.

I am today going to try reducing the dose to 2x50mg a day and see if that lessens the side effects. On the plus side the movement in my shoulder did seem a little better after just 3 days on the tablets.

The dr has put me on them for 3 weeks only and will reassess after that.

Anyone else had these side effects?[/quote:92631d0bef]

• Posted

I was prescribed Diclofenac and Fenactol on seperate occasions for persistant back pain. I rarely take them every day but lately i have been doing. Today, however, I have been experiencing severe stomach pains, diarrhoea and a strange pain across my lower back (internally, hard to explain really)

I really feel something has started to affect me. I think i will get myself back to the Doc and try and sort another method to sort my pain out and steer clear of these pills.

• Posted

I was prescribed Diclofenac in the February of 2009 after about two weeks of industrial strength heartburn

and heart flutters, I decided to stop the medication. Two weeks later I suffered a stroke from which happily

I have fully recovered but remain on six items of medication per day, perhaps for life. Anyone like me?

James 63yrs

• Posted

I have been using a topical diclofenac cream (1%) & have been experiencing severe diarrhoea, nausea & lack of appetite. I remember having to discontinue using the pills when they were prescribed to me 3 years ago for the same reason. No amount of food or medication like Omeprozole could make me tolerate this drug.

I have Hep.C, although it does not affect me in any way, but I guess it does mean my liver is in some way compromised.

When I only used the cream for neck pain it did not have this effect, but a week ago I started using it on my knees as well, which was when I started to experience these side effects.

Is it possible that a topical cream could have these side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.