Can anyone help me get co-proxamol for my mum?

Posted , 1 user is following.

My mum has taken co-proxamol for rheumatoid arthritis, now she cannot get it any more and has been given co codamol, which does not give her relief from her pain. She has asked her doctor for co-proxamol but he has told her it is not available. If anyone can tell me where I could get some from I would be very grateful (and so would my mum)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

All i can tell you is that Boots are still making them available.. i told the dr and got CP back again.. give it a try! :D
  • Posted

[quote:214085815f=\"denw\"]My mum has taken co-proxamol for rheumatoid arthritis, now she cannot get it any more and has been given co codamol, which does not give her relief from her pain. She has asked her doctor for co-proxamol but he has told her it is not available. If anyone can tell me where I could get some from I would be very grateful (and so would my mum)[/quote:214085815f]

HI. I just got my co-proxamol back after 3 years, you tell not ask your doctor that you have tried all other alternatives and ask your doctor can you have them on a named patient basis and also if you mother has been deppressed you can use that as a reason and book an appointment to see a cpn nurse who will help you. Trust me if you keep going to your doctor weekly and demand you be put on the named patient basis you will get them. Also boots supply them and also other chemists have them but they act very shifty until you wave the prescription under thier nose. also if they dont have them in stock they can order you some. Hope this helps. But you need to keep asking and dont take no for an answer as you are entitled to them legally.

Goodluck. Paul

• Posted

Paul

You are only legally entitled to this medicine in the UK with a valid UK prescription and whether you get a prescription depends entirely upon your doctor. There is no UK legislation which entitles patients to certain medicines whatever the general public seem to think.

To go to a GP's surgery and start spouting that it is your legal right really won't get you very far.

If there is a definite clinical need for a patient to take co-proxamol then I feel that most GPs will look at this favourably and may prescribe it, but there has been a lot of abuse and misuse of this drugs over the years and as a consequence doctors and other healthcare professionals are reluctant to use it. With the withdrawal of the licence doctorsnow take full responsibility for any damage that is done by this medicine and that is why patients are having difficulty getting it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.