im about to go t the docs with my chloasma !!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi im jackie, im 33, im almost sure that when i go to my g.p on monday im going to be diagnised with the lovely chloasma.

Starting off on my upper lip years ago, after a recent holiday it now seems to be travelling onto my cheeks cheekbones and my forehead.Ive been taking the pill for years and have recently stopped,and im wondering what treatment ill be offerd ??

Using a good quality factor 40 on holiday this time didnt make a difference at all, in fact its the worst its ever been, a colleage of mine suggested that the malaria tablets id taken can worsen pigmentation.

Sooooooooooo im going to ask the doctor to refer me to a dermatologist, i feel there must be a topical treatment i can use, and indeed a \" medical \" strength sunblock, which can be and may only be available on prescription...wish me luck XX

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I also have it on my cheeks. I have been to and have spent a lot of money going to doctors to no avail. In fact one of the creams the doctor gave me is how I got this to begin with (not on pill etc.) the cream was for mild acne. Anyway, I did go to a doctor and they gave me some compounded bleaching cream. It works although when you go into the sun even with protection the spots reappear, so what I have found that works for me is pure zinc oxide (i know its white but it also comes in clear). What I do is put it on my spots kinda thick...let it sit and then roll a q-tip over the area to soak up excess then apply my makeup over it. Yes it does have a little thickness to my make-up in that area but i roll the q-tip over it agin and smooth it out. I am not going to say its full proof but my spots have not gotten any darker and I do this every day even when not wearing make-up I always put the zinc oxide then I use cream to powder (aveda) make-up and brush on my spots for protection. I dont know if the doctor told you this or not but ANY kind of heat can cause your spots to get darker...oven, bbq grill etc... I have given up on treatments my doctors basically blew me off ...meaning oh ok you have this live with it. They can figure out away to remove a tattos off people but cant help us with this. I just have learned to bleach and protect at all cost. I hope this helped and good luck to you.

• Posted

Hello, I've just been told i have Chloasma and have read all the entries. My doctor has given me tritoin (retin A) to try but i'd like to know where you get zinc oxide from so i can try that. Also, what's a q-tip?
  • Posted

reading your experiences, i too went to the Dr after returning from our holiday. dark patches appeared on my faces as most of you are decribing.

But the one thingthat catches my eye was the mention of Malaria tablets.

I took malaria tablets for the first time two weeks before we went away. by the second week of our holiday everyone noticed the brown patches on my face.

I returned and went straight to the Dr (thinking it was sun damage). and she told me it was chloasma due to pregnancy. I told her I could not be pregnant as i have a mirena coil. she agreed. she asked me to visit again after three weeks to see if it had faded with my tan, - it had , but only slightly. then she told me it was hormonal and that i should consider taking the coil out and try a non hormonal contraceptive.

This is not an option for me as there are no non hormone contraceptives except regular coils which do not agree with me.

I wonder... from rading other experiances, could this be something to do with malria tablets??? or is this the first results from long term contraception and the Drs are only just finding out the damage?

I was told it was not anything they knew alot about and they ended simply telling me to stay out of the sun. I will be interested to see what we all come up with between us. please keep us updated.

• Posted

A q-tip is the brand name for a cotton bud isn't it?
  • Posted

Hi, i have really bad chloasma. I have taken malaria tablets many times, was on the pill for 10 years and had a baby 6 months ago. The chloasma was extreme when I was at the end of my pregnancy and has only faded slightly. I always wear suncream and a hat but live in Australia and complete UV avoidence is impossible. I have just read that taking vitamins suppliments such as zinc, vitamin C and B as well as something called MSM will help as it evens out the copper levels in your body. I will start trying this as well as cutting down on coffee, chocolate, alcohol, soy and other foods high in copper. I am now avoiding perfumes on the face as a beauty therapist friend told me that many women have it on their necks where they spray perfume as it (melasma) appears when the sun hits the skin. Then a doctor friend of mine said I should try washing my hair every day (it is usually every few days) and once a week with anti-dandruff shampoo (even though i don't have dandruff). Because it will stop any oiliness from my scalp running onto my face which may be making it worse (?) so I will try this. Although I also read that some chloasma sufferers have had success using olive oil, castor oil and rosehip oil on their face as moisturiser... Has anyone had success with any of these things? I am reluctant to try unnatural remedies such as laser treatment as I suspect this would not look great after accidental sun exposure....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.