Does anyone know if Mebervine helps with the diarrhoea IBS

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

I'm 15 years old and I have just been diagnosed with IBS and have been prescribed with Mebervine, i suffer really badly from the diarrhoea side of it and was wondering whether Mebervine actually helps with it or do i need to take immodium on top?

Thanks,

Vicky.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I,ve been taking Mebeverine for a while as I suffer from the diahorrea type of IBS and I find it does help. I wouldn't say it's 100% as I find certain foods are worse than others to trigger attacks but I think the Mebeverine does help - I currently manage on only 2 lots a day - some people need 3 and some only 1. The only down side that I've found is if I stop taking it my IBS seems worse than it was before I ever took it! I've had to get over the embarrassing dashes to the loo when I'm out -I don't care anymore - don't let it stop you doing things or going places. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I was prescribed mebeverine about a week ago after having a major sudden family trauma and stressful day 2 weeks ago(which turned out to be none too serious the following day but the damage to me was already done!).

I've had the constipation type of IBS since i had a reaction to codeine about 2 years ago and had just worked out what maybe my trigger so got it under control (as much as you can).

Anyway, at the end of this sudden traumatic day I started with diahorrea and had it for almost a week and because the stuff the chemist gave me made no difference, after 4 days of not eating cos I didn't want to upset my stomach I went to the docs.

He gave me mebeverine and I took one tablet that night and one the following morning, I forgot to ask him how long I should take them for, and by teatime that day my symptoms had all but gone so I didn't take any more. I guess I have a stash of them now if it happens again but I am praying it doesn't.

Does anyone know if this is a usual IBS reaction when I'd only ever had the total opposite problem before? Can you get both extremes of IBS?

Not sure if I'm meant to ask questions about IBS on here so I'm sorry if I'm not.

• Posted

Hi Diane,

If you do a search on the main Patient UK site for IBS there are articles that may answer your questions. There is also a seperate thread in the Medical Conditions section of PUK Experience on IBS that may be of interest.

Regards,

Patient Admin Team

• Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with IBS and when the pain starts, it is normally followed by diarrhea and then constipation for the next couple of days before it goes back to \"normal\". I tend to carry around a few Mebeverine tablets just in case. Just wondering if anyone knows if Mebeverine works if you take it after eating? I know you're meant to take a tablet 20 mins before munching...
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with IBS just over a week ago due to constant Diarrhoea which was becoming embarrassing. My doctor thinks that after having my Gallbladder removed last year that this has brought on the IBS and has really become worse over the last 4 weeks. I was prescribed Mebeverine which has really helped I'm taking 1, 3 times a day 20 mins. before meals and I've also tried to change what I eat alot more like eating wheatfree bread and biscuits. Does anyone know how long you can take Mebeverine for as my stomach has been so much better this last week I'm scared to stop taking the tablets.
    • Posted

Has the mebeverine stopped your Diarrohea completely? I have just been diagnosed with IBS D and prescribed Mebeverine but want to find out how successful it is for IBS D before taking it. You can stay on the tablets for as long as you need.
    • Posted

I know this is an old post but to answer your question.. if your doctor has given you a certain amount then I'd say he/she intended you to take the lot for as long as they last.

I've been on mebeverine for about, 8,9 years now for my ibs along with lanzoprizole for nausia and acid reflux and buscopan to calm the stomach cramps. If you haven't already I'd check with your doctor and make a point of saying that you want to continue taking them.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I've been recently diagnosed with IBS-D. I have my first day of taking mebeverine and...my diarrhoea has come on really bad. I've been told to take 1 three times a day, 20 mins before meals. I have done just that and am experiencing cramps and diarrhoea. Is this normal as my body adjusts to the medication?

Thanks

Jevs

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

live taken Mebervine for ages, my doctor said it stops the spasm,s your bowels get, but you are having very loose bowels so your doctor should have advised another treatment for that, also look at your diet!!!! My doctor recommended I see a dietician instead of further tablets, which was very sensible & turns out any form of WHEAT which is in most foods upset my bowel as does onion & garlic, so I've lost two stone just by cutting out these items as they are in a lot of food I'm afraid, but my bowel has setteled down I go normally now & the Mebervine just helps stop the urgency of having to rush there quick, not sure this is of any use to your situation but wanted to try and help you.

Miss Lindsay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.