Night Cramps

Posted , 37 users are following.

I am 29 and male. Have been suffering for nearly a year now with cramps in both my legs. This happens always when I am at sleep and the pain is truly paralyzing and I can not walk properly for 1 or 2 days. I wake up screaming and can not move. The cramp lasts for 4-5 minutes and some time longer. However it seems even longer when it is happening.

4 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know how you feel I was awoken early Sunday morning with calf cramps I couldn't put my foot down it took me at least ten minutes of massaging it, I didnt know if to scream or cry the pain was unbearable. It is now Tuesday and I feel as though I have pulled a muscle in my leg ,its just starting to ease .I have never had this before lets hope I never have it again.by
    • Posted

This is exactly what happened to me and I'm 13
    • Posted

This happened to me last night, I'm 15. It only lasted for like a minute though, then it just mildly hurt for a while, and now I can't walk on it.
    • Posted

When you cramp in the calf muscle, resist the impulse to pull your leg up. In a cramp, the muscle is contracting. So keeping your leg straight, pull your foot so that the toes are reaching towards your shoulders. This forces the cramping muscle to stretch. Hold the stretch until you feel it relax.

When you relax your leg IF the muscle begins to cramp again, stretch again.

This is much more effective than massaging.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

I know you are 17,is it still happening to you? It's killing me at nights. I really dont know what to do,it gives me a really unbarable pain amd im wondering if it will affect my foot later on.. Im a soccer player n i hope this dont keep happening because i have a future n wouldnt want it to be ruined...it mostly happens when im comfortable in bed and when i start to stretch it kicks in...Help me with a slolution to my problems please

• Posted

Hi, not sure if you are still dealing with this. I do too, I'm going in to a doc appt to see if it could be restless leg syndrome. I wake between 3 to 10 times a night with stretching both arms and legs, which leads to spasms in my calves. So severe ,I have passed out from pain about a half dozen times. I now feel like I am awake more than asleep. It could be something to discuss with your MD, I'm hoping I come to finally get answers, it's exhausting.

• Posted

Hi both of you,

Find a good therapist that can do deep soft tissue massage and is not frightened of hurting you. No pain no gain.

The reason for the pain at night is that you are at rest and your blood pressure reduces and of course this passes into the calf muscles. The reduction of blood flow to the wall of the muscle then gives you the pain. It is the same principle as a heart attack.

By the way your calf muscle is actually two muscles, the Soleus and the Gastric-nemus which has two heads (bellies) they both at the lower end form the Achilles tendon. These two muscles really do need looking after as they are the other two hearts of the human body and are known as the 'calf pumps' where as the other is known as you well know the 'cardiac pump'. The former believe it or not work harder than the cardiac pump. They have no blood pressure left as such (0.25) and they have to pump the blood back to the heart against gravity.

Regards

Dr. A. Mathews

• Posted

Dr. Mathews.. which muscle starts at the groin and goes down the inner thigh to the knee? I have woken with this excruciating pain too many times to count it lasts for at least 5 to 10 minutes and the only solution I have come up with is to apply as hot as I can stand it...wet washcloths and apply forceful pressure. I spoke to my pcp and he told me what the muscle was called but I don't remember what he said. He told me to drink plenty of water and take the recommended dosage as prescribed on the bottles of both magnesium and potassium. Which I have done for 3 days now and so far, so good. Thank you for your input. I look forward to hearing from you!! Sincerely, Rhoni J.

• Posted

[color=indigo:81ffa1e87b]Hey, im 19, and like any 19 yr old i enjoy going out on fri and sat nights, but recently wen i go out and have a few 2 many drinks i get [b:81ffa1e87b]REALLY[/b:81ffa1e87b] bad cramp where i scream and my leg hurts for next day AT LEAST! i need to find a way to enjoy my night and have a drink and not wake up screaming!!!! (esspecially stayin around my boyfriends house) its abit embarrsessing!!!!! i think it might be the drinK!!![/color:81ffa1e87b]
  • Posted

I'm 20 and have been suffering from calf cramp in my left leg for a while now however its only happened during the day twice and 2 times at night, the night cramps are a pain and it usually lasts a few seconds but its so sore i usually fall back asleep almost instantly (almost because its like i'm passing out lol)

but today i was at my boxing lesson just doing our footwork and i got a calf cramp and my god it was the most excruciating pain i have ever felt in my whole entire life, i just instantly bent over to massage it, its like your paralysed in this constant form of pain, it was so sore and its just annoying you cant really do anything about it once it happens grrrr i just got told to have salt in my diet and make sure i apply like deep heat and stretch before lessons

• Posted

[quote:144d9b9076=\"mathews\"]Hi both of you,

Find a good therapist that can do deep soft tissue massage and is not frightened of hurting you. No pain no gain.

The reason for the pain at night is that you are at rest and your blood pressure reduces and of course this passes into the calf muscles. The reduction of blood flow to the wall of the muscle then gives you the pain. It is the same principle as a heart attack.

By the way your calf muscle is actually two muscles, the Soleus and the Gastric-nemus which has two heads (bellies) they both at the lower end form the Achilles tendon. These two muscles really do need looking after as they are the other two hearts of the human body and are known as the 'calf pumps' where as the other is known as you well know the 'cardiac pump'. The former believe it or not work harder than the cardiac pump. They have no blood pressure left as such (0.25) and they have to pump the blood back to the heart against gravity.

Regards

Dr. A. Mathews[/quote:144d9b9076] :D

I have just experienced a night cramp at 3.30 am It was in my right calf and lasted for no more than 2 minutes. I screamed myself and my husband awake with the pain. He turned my toes upward and massaged the calf muscle on the inner calf and the spasm subsided. I was left with a terrible ache in that muscle and also noticed lots of fluttering in various other parts of my body. I thought to myself I've had a heart attack in my calf muscle, but then thought I was being melodramatic and reflected on how stupid my GP would think I was if I said that to him. I heated up my muscle warmer in the microwave and got an ice pack from the freezer and applied each alternately for a few minutes each over about 10 minutes. I was still in pain and found it difficult to walk so I took two standard ibuprofen tablets. I then found this web site and scanned it for any help I could find. Having read about lip holding I then looked up TCM and found a reference to Renzhong DU26 which is an acupressure point for restoring consciousness in an attack of fainting I applied pressure thus to my top lip and thankfully the pain has all but gone. It is now 6. 43am and I'm going back to bed

• Posted

Hi all,

I have suffered from leg cramps for as long as I can remember(I'm now 40). It is one of the most excruciating things ever, and it almost makes you feel like you're gonna die at that moment!

I used to carry 'Crampex' tablets with me everywhere until oneday a friend suggested that as soon as you feel it coming on,to just jump out of bed and walk on it. I thought it was crazy idea, but it does work.

I go camping a lot through the summer months, but can't have my sleeping bag zipped right up, for the fear of not being able to get out. One thing that is very good though is Quininne tablets, my nan has them off the doctor, and I always have some off her to take camping. This is the main ingredient in Tonic Water, so grab some of that, esp if you'reout drinking...hadthis experience jus the another night! Unfortunately, I do tend to get cramp when I'm drinking, and as I said I had it recently, and also the morning after too (yesterday). Today though I woke up, and my leg is really hurting, right where there is a tendon behind the knee, so I guess it has been too strained with the cramp episodes.

• Posted

Hi guys,

I'm 27 and have been experiencing nightly leg cramps for months now.

Same as with you all, the pain seems to last much longer than actually happening, during which i want to scream and can't move. I've heard of lifting your toes during a cramp and i have tried but the pain is so severe that i don't want to move in fear of more pain.

My legs- usually my calves and feet are sore and tender days after- and i get cramps almost every night! So you can imagine the cycle..

I have googled this and have found an interesting fact, that you are at higher risk of these nightly cramps when you are on birth conrol pills- which i am.

I'll be going to the doctor and laying off the pills starting today- i'll keep you up-to-date!!!

• Posted

So generally magnesium might help. Besides I read that cramps at rest can be caused by acalcinosis, so the lack of calcium.
    • Posted

I tried the magnesium. There are many different kinds of magnesium. Not sure which one I got at the pharmacy, but the days following, my heart was racing and pounding so much I was thinking about going to the hospital.

Be very careful with Mag, it would be wise to ck with your doctor. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.