Suddenly blurred vision in Left eye. No one knows the reason

Posted , 70 users are following.

Hi,

I am 30, male, computer programmer. I've never had any problem in my eyes before, but 13 days ago my left eye got blurred and then I started getting dizzy sometimes. I went to the GP and he said it could be conjunctivitis (I didn't think it was, because my eye wasn't red or sticking). I applied the eyewash he prescribed for 5 days, no improvements though.

Then I went to the eye hospital and they made a lot of exams (also with dilated pupil) and the doctor there said she couldn't find anything wrong in my eyes (My problem is in the left eye only) and then asked me to go back in 5 weeks time (24/08)

After these exams I started felling my vision getting better. But today it is more blurred than yesterday (less than in the first days though). I check this by looking in some objects at home, which are always in the same place,and see if I can read the text on them. Other test is to try to focus the computer screen with the right eye covered... I could see reasonable well yesterday, today it is worse, but still better than the first days.

After going to the eye hospital I went to the GP again, and he told me I should go to optician and maybe find a pair o glasses which would make me feel more comfortable.

I don't want to wear glasses before be sure what was the cause for that problem. By my experience in this periodo of 13 days my vision goes better some days and worse other days. Maybe (and hopefully) it can be reversible.

The symptoms I feel in my left eye are:

- Blurred vision (Some days better, some days worse).

- Sometimes it is itching;

- Sometimes if hurts a bit;

- Sometimes I feel like there is something inside it;

- Sometimes I have a feeling as the eyelid is a bit glued;

Something I tested yesterday was to see how light I have going through one eye and compare to the other.

During the day I could see things with more brightness in the right eye (the good one).

At night however, the left eye can capture much more light (still blurred though) as I almost thought I had infrared vision in my left eye...lol!!

All this is confusing for me...

I have high cholesterol (280) and I am over weight (Not hugely though). I also don't have a healthy diet.

I always have perfect vision and now I am scared as this symptoms could be an alert for any other serious problem I have and don't know yet.

P.S.: Sorry for my English, It's difficult to me to described the symptoms as my English is not so good.

Can any one help me please?

3 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.  I've been surfing the net and came upon your story here.  I have blurred vision in my left eye too.  3 days so far.  Going to the doctors tomorrow....Thursday....and see what they say about it.  Along with my blurry vision, it seems like I have something on the bottom right side of my eye ....it's almost like it's part of my eye I'm seeing.  Very hard to explain.  I have basically the same symptoms you've described. This post is about a year old.  How's your eye now?  Any answers to what it might have been?? 
    • Posted

Hi Karen.  I have just read your post, I have EXACTLY the same as you, started on 5/5/14.   I am so worried. I have to go to the hospital tomorrow (Friday) .  I am wonderng if you found anything out as to what it can be.  I am sacring myself to death reading Google posts. Sue
    • Posted

Hi Suz11111. I ended up having a detached retina. I had surgery last Wednesday. Good luck to you. Hopefully you won't be as bad as me. I have a gas bubble in my eye and a band around my eye. Keep me posted.
    • Posted

Hi Karen.  The hospital said she couldn't see any detachment and said its   Posterior vitreous detachment.  She has made me another appoint ment in 6 month (December), but told me to go to the optician if start seeing flashes or more floaters.  I feel a heaviness / pulling sensation but she says it should disappear slowly.  I hope she is right..  Was the operation straight forward ? - How do you feel now ?    I hope you will fine...xxx
  • Posted

Sounds like pretty much the same as I had 2 weeks ago .  It made me very concerned as I was reading allsorts on the internet and scared myself to death..lol..  I went to the hospital for them to look in the back of my eye and they said there is nothing wrong.  They said it will slowly go away on its own made another appointment for 6 months.  it hasnt improved yer, but can take up to 6 months ..........Posterior vitreous detachment
    • Posted

Hi Suz11111...I'm not familiar with what the doctor says you have.   I had a bubble inserted in my eye.  It is almost gone.  Vision in the affected eye is still distorted.  I'm getting around and able to do things....just on a real slow pace...with breaks in between.  I get dizzy and sick to my stomach.  Is your vision clear?  Are you able to drive...go to work?  2 weeks since my surgery.  I drive a school bus for employment.  Sitting at home is ok...but I love my job and I'm eager to get back to it.  I really hope things get better for you. I'm going to go and look up what they said you have. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen.My vision isnt blurred. I can just see little dark strands when I look at a plain wall and they move with my eye.  The hospital said they will go in time and move out of my vision,  Yes I can drive.   Since they told me there is nothing wrong with my eye when they dilated the pupil, it made me feel better as I was imagining allsorts after reading what it may be on the internet (shouldn't do it really as it scares you).  I have to go back in November for them to look at it again.  I hope you recover soon as I think you will as it takesd time. Good luck karen. xxx
    • Posted

I'm going on almost 10 years woth my pvd. Flashing lights, arcs.all day long.

• Posted

Could be dry eyes. Try Oxyal; I am told these things will take time, i.e. months but this is quite soothing and can make things a bit clearer.
  • Posted

I am also 30 and I am a programmer, last month while I was working, I found out that I cannot read properly with my left eye. I was drinking coffee and had my hand and cup covering my right eye. so I dont know how long its been going on for. I saw 3 doctors and did all kinds of tests, Dilated the pupil and checked it, nothing wrong there. They suspected a inflamation and did a OCT scan... nothing. Then they suspected a tumor that is pressuring the optical nerve and did an MRI for my head and torso... nothing there. I also did another test that colors the blood in the retina to see if there is anything wrong with the blood flow in the veins... also nothing there. Last thing the doctor said was: is it really bothering you?!!!! of course it is, I had perfect vision for 30 years and I know its a new thing cause i tested my vision for my driving license 3 weeks before it happened. 

One Dr prescribed asprin and vitamens for the eye, the other prescribed Fish Oil hoping the Omega 3 will help the eye recover.

I went with the Fish pil option. No progress so far. its annoying at night cause lights have an extra glow. also if i go hiking for example and the ground is "busy" with leaves, grass and rocks. it becomes hard to focus and it really bothers me.

anyone out there with a similar issue?

• Posted

I'm 39 and a programmer.

Vision in my left eye is blurred, and I've developed a lazy eye, particularly while reading or coding, as I tend to use my right eye only to focus on text.

I can do it with me left eye only, but it makes me a little dizzy and I don't see as well.  It's not just focus, it's like the text is partially transparent.

I've also noticed significantly more trouble seeing at night in high-contrast situations, almost like there's a film of oil over my eyes that makes everything shiny and blurry.

Have you discovered anything in the past 11 months?  Any new information about our condition?

• Posted

Hi handab, i have the exact same symptoms and situation as you. Woke up two weeks ago with blurred vision in my right eye. The doctors have done all the scans and couldnt find anything abnormal. So they have prescribed me fish oil and some lubricating eye drops. I also changed my prescription. But its the same blurriness continuing for two weeks. I am worried this blurriness will never go away?!?!

Is your vision better now after the supplements and precautions? Appreciate your response and I am quite worried. Thanks!

• Posted

I have been having problems in my left eye for the last 3 weeks and been to two different eye exams and they see nothing I been searching the Internet for answers not such a good ideas scared the life out of me . It's worries me that they see nothing but my vision In that eye is really hard to explain like black patches I need help I'm loosing my mind
    • Posted

Were you mr eye exams with opticians or a doctor with an m. d. Like an opthomologist?
    • Posted

That was supposed to read your
    • Posted

Did he check the lids of your eye. The oil produceong glands for your tears?
    • Posted

He did the Schirmer test which checks for the number of tears produced in 5 minutes and said that I am on the borderline for dry eyes. But can just dry eyes cause blurred vision?? It does increase when I go on the computer though..
    • Posted

I have normal tear break up time but gland disfunction. If you look up mgd you can read about it. Dry eye and mgd can also go together. You have 3 layers to your tear film. Mucous,acqueous,and lipid,if any of these are off at all you can have blurry vision,hazziness,cloudy vision etc. If he didnt look at your lids you should have him do so as most cases of dry eye involve the clogging of the glands. My reg eye doctor never checked my lid margins. My 2nd doctor did. Hope you get some relief,very stressful having vision problems. Xx
    • Posted

Oh I see - thank you for this. I will see how this goes over the next week or so and then ask for the gland test to be done. I have also shown to 3 opthamologists already! It is indeed stressful as I'm hoping I don't get any further blurriness

• Posted

I had symptoms of dry eye. My doctor did the drops to show how fast ny tear film broke up,one eye was like one point below normal,my other eye was normal. So he just said do drops as needed. I kept getting symptoms so went for second opinion. She took the slit lamp and examined each eyelid top and bottom and then squezzed the glands along the lid margins. These are not the tear ducts in the corner. Anyway,she got some of the lipid secretions from the glands and said they were slightly thick. So my tear film is compromised from abnormal lipid layer. I was having blurry vision. Sometimes ny vision was hazy. Bright light began bothering me etc hope this helps,but also hope it resolves on its own. Xx
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems. Look up the condition called corneal bleb dystrphy. I had many problems with vision that doctors could not understand so was refured to moorefields eye hospital in london. I had blurred vision, problems with light, bright lights & car headlights were a nightmare. I'm now cured. Look it up as it may give you answers 

• Posted

Same issues, same job, same everything.

Did you solve it?

• Posted

I have the same problems as you and others.

Did you manage to resolve it?

• Posted

Same like me..black..hard to explain..gave all test Mari from eye till brain..It's annoying me..I can't focus at work..I can't concern

• Posted

28 years here, also a programmer. 

I recognize the "partially transparent" part of your story. It is like some parts of my vision are missing and the brain is trying to fill them.

For me the doctors say it is blepharitis. So far I've had it for 4 months, and it does not seem to improve very much. I'm cleaning my eyelids every day and taking fish oil capsules.

Did it go away for you? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.