Has anyone had LRV for copd as my partner is about to undergo this procedure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya, my partner was diagnosed 3 years ago and has progressively got worse, admitted via a&e twice since xmas for exasserbations, he has been put forward for Lung Volume Reduction at Harefield, although I know this is a good thing i cannot help but be concerned, does anyone else have any views on this... Many thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I haven't heard of this. Have you any idea of the waiting time and what is the expected outcome? I have not been very well since November and think I would jump at any opportunity to get moving again. I know being put to sleep by anaesthetic is not something that the doctors would chose to do, but I assume the plus's outweigh the cons.
  • Posted

Hi Christine

There is an LVRS Information Sheet to download on the British Lung Foundation website. Not everyone is suitable by a long shot. Have no idea what sort of waiting time or your suitability, but article says it could be suitable for 
people under 75 who are still able to get out and about. but carries risks.

Regards, Val.

• Posted

Search on YouTube

The LVRS miracle for severe emphysema and COPD

• Posted

Thanks for your messages, he is due to have the op in about 4 weeks, we have all the information and are aware of all the risks, just a bit scary thats all... If the op works it should relieve his symptoms but we know it is not a cure.... Not sure about the miracle bit but will let you know when he has recovered from surgery... Fingers crossed...
    • Posted

Hope all goes well for your partner's surgery satah,  do contact the British Lung Foundation any time about any concerns you have before and after the LVR procesure, but hopefully your partner will have good aftercare and advice from the hospital he is attending.

The contact website, helpline number for the British Lung Foundation can be viewed from this page:

https://www.blf.org.uk/

Best wishes V

• Posted

We're rooting for him. A success means a bit of hope for us in the future!
  • Posted

Thankyou Christine, will let you know smile
  • Posted

Hi

I had LVRS 6yrs ago both lungs reduced by 25%

Initialy after recovery period i did find breathing improved

But now its my breathing has worsend and i do wonder if the pain and suffering was worthwhile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.