Please Help Solve My Throbbing Gums Mystery

Posted , 14 users are following.

Please can someone help me...

I have had a horrible throbbing sensation in my gums below my bottom front teeth. My dentist has xrayed and looked at them but couldn't work it out.

He gave me anti-biotics in case it was an infection but they didn't work. He also said it could be from trauma to my mouth earlier in my life.

So now they didn't work, he said they may need to come out! I'm only 28 and the teeth look fine so this would be awful!

What else could it be? I have moved to a cold country 3 years ago so perhaps the winter cold could be causing it? I was fine the first few winters though...

Please can someone help me, this'd is driving me mad!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is maddening. The only thing I can tell you is that you probably have something called Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS) Very painful! Tingling (throbbing), numbness on the tip of the tongue or in the mouth are other sensations. PLEASE DO NOT LET THE GUY TAKE OUT YOUR TEETH!!!! That is ridiculous! I have lived with BMS for years. No cause was found for me. But you could have a thyroid problem or some other problem so get blood workup. Causes can range from damage to nerves that control pain and taste. Hormonal changes, Dry Mouth, which can be caused by many medicines and disorders such as Sjögren’s Syndrome or Diabetes. Nutritional deficiencies or Oral Candidiasis ( a fungal infection in the mouth) are possible causes. So you see that you will need blood work up to rule out the cause. Acid reflux as well as, allergies to mouth wash or an allergy to something in your new environment. Perhaps a preservative in the meat??? It is even said to be from anxiety and depression. Sometimes, the reason is never found. In some people, Burning Mouth Syndrome may be from more than one cause. I have had it for years and it never goes away no matter what I do. Sometimes, all you can do is manage your symptoms. If it turns out to be Acid Reflux, shore up the head board of your bed a few inches so gravity keeps the acid down in your stomach. I use a 2 by 4 inch board. At least, I do not have acid indigestion problems any more.

To ease some of your sensations for now : Frequently, sip cold water but be careful of the ice chips so as to not aggravate your symptoms any further. The skin of the palate becomes very fragile and will tear easily. Do not eat hard items like chips/pretzels/hard candy or very hot food. Avoid irritating substances like spicy foods or mouthwashes that contain alcohol. Also avoid products that are acidic, like citrus fruits/juices. Brush your teeth with baking soda and water. You may have an allergy to your tooth paste. And as is always good advice, avoid alcoholic drinks and cigarettes/cigars/chew.

I really feel bad for you. Rule out any disorder(s) from a legitimate doctor but as a suggestion - also keep a daily diary of what you eat/use or when symptoms or worse - mornings/evenings, etc. You have to be your own advocate for your health. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

You have to try ordinary extra strong painkiller that help at all.If you don't use of Sensitive Toothpaste,then you should start doing so.

• Posted

See an oral surgeon for a 3d xray of the gums it may be the nerves and u may need graft of tissue. I suffered 22 years till finally a dentist sent me to an oral surg . The surg was a few thousand as I had no dental but well worth it 
    • Posted

What symptoms did you have? I have been having a deep throbbing pain in my front bottom 4 teeth. I feels ok in the morning, but gets worse through the day. Talking can be very painful.
    • Posted

I know this is really old but Did you ever resolve this? I’m experiencing this exact same thing for over a year now and can’t find answers!!
    • Posted

I have suffered this problem also for many many years with no resolution despite multiple visits to dentists and GP. Throbbing in gums below bottom front teeth. Starts in the morning and gets steadily worse through the day but after about 4 or 5 days it dies off until the next episode. My most recent episode occurred after using white bleaching agent overnight so I am now thinking it may be trauma induced.
    • Posted

I’m so sick of going to dentists, endondists, etc and them all saying nothings wrong. I feel like I’m losing my mind and can’t take this pain anymore ! Sucks so much sad
    • Posted

Oh no way would I use bleaching agent - you have put your nerves in the gums on high alert and they will hurt like hell.  Sometimes even  mouthwash does this to me.  I have had gum probs for 30 odd years and just keep trying to keep on top of it.  It won't ever go unless I go to a surgeon and have the pockets removed.  I also have gastric issues with acid reflux and that defo sends my gums haywire coz it comes into the mouth during the night, although I don't feel it, but that is what reflux does silently.  My gums can hurt for days after.  I have to keep on top of the acid and they are much better.

• Posted

Hello kingolympics,

Any relief from your condition?

Even I am suffering from the exact same symptoms that you have mentioned.

Curious to know if you were able to nail down the issue.

• Posted

good morning, did you ever solve this mystery? I have a gum/teeth pain for a few months now and nobody seems to know what it is?
    • Posted

Marina I have had the same problem for the last 6 months behind 4 front lower teeth had root canal on 3 of 4 teeth problem still there. Pain burning behind teeth. Dentist can't explain why I am having this problem . Can anyone help.

• Posted

Hi  king Olympic did  you ever solve this mystery? I have had gum pain for a 6 months now and nobody seems to know
  • Posted

A dental xray cannot pick up a periodontal abscess if its towards the tongue (lingual/palatal) or towards the cheek (buccal). A periodontal abscess is a serious abscess involving different bacteria which can kill you usually by septicemia. The pain is different and the face usually doesn't swell as root death is at a later stage.

You need a 3d xray usually done by a hospital mentioned by the long suffering lady here. I had the same problem and it took about 10 years with multiple dentists missing it before it was diagnosed by 3d xray, only as it spread and my lymph nodes under my arms blew up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.