Muscle/Tendon Pain with Hypothyroidisn

Posted , 67 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 4 years now and am still struggling with my endocrinologist to get my dose right. The last few months I have been suffering with severe pain in my shoulder - which a physio says could be related to my thyroid problem. I thought others might like to be aware that an under-active thyroid can cause muscle and joint pain - I certainly did not realise. I have been reading the info on this site and now I can connect other things like stiffness and difficulty walking upstairs at times, odd pains in other joints - knees, hips and back ache.

12 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can relate to that. I've been underactive for 4 years following treatment for an overactive thyroid. I've grown accustomed to the muscle pain, aches and twinges and still manage to exercise without pushing myself too far. Initially I thought I'd never feel 'normal' again, but I accept that I have to make allowances and I don't let it get me down.
    • Posted

I've had Hypothyroidism sience I was 2, my enzyme leavles when tested were in the high 500's (instead of below 10 which was the norm. for my age). I've related more and more things back to my Hypothyroidism over time. The muscle pains for me come in my legs around the knee area, and for anyone new with Hypothiroidism the area of your pain will grow biger and biger the longer you have the condition. It's quite odd for me to hear someone say, "I thought I'd never feel 'normal' again" (no offence in any way).  There are deffinately abnormalities that come with it, and I understand/acknowledge most, but still look to find the causes of them sense it's not the actual medication at fault. If anyone does know the reasons for any of the symptoms, please let me know.
    • Posted

Hi...

It's been few months I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and yeah muscles pain, back ache, and pain in feets, knees, shoulder is seen. I personally can relate it with the experience I gained so far among which supplements of foods, exercise are relatable. When I consume cruciferous vegetables, certain lentils my knees pains a lot and also lack of sleep results in pain as well.

Other than these symptoms, weight loss is what I went through having hypothyroidism. Through a right dose of tablets, supplements of fruits mostly banana and pomegranate everyday, and a proper sleep have helped me to gain quite a weight.

But then, sometimes I feel pain in the neck area which is a serious issue caused by the foods that I realized after many times and now I avoids certain fruits and foods that results in enlargement of nodules in the neck area.

If anybody wants to know anything about the subject matter, you are most welcome.

• Posted

I am Hypothyroid....and am having a tyroid scan next Friday...but my stiff aching neck that sometimes ends up in a migraine....is my biggest complaint~ When I rub my neck or have a massage....I and the massage therepists can feel nodules. I just thought it was from arthiritis and stress~Any other info or help I would so appreciate!Thanks, Linda

• Posted

Hi i was interested n. Ur blog as ive been to alot of test im 54 n started gaining alot of weight but i never really ate. Turned out to b my thyroid so i been struggling to get dose right as well also. But it was like out of the blue one day my knees n legs hurt so bad to get up n walk i mean really hurts so i find my self sitting all the time which results n being so outta shape walking outside leaves me winded im depressed n feel its never gonna end n ya alls i do is sleep n wake up n. Can go right back ta sleep im miserable have u found anything to help the pains n ur leggs n knees is my question?? Thank u so much
    • Posted

im intrested in what foods to avoid and what foods to eat. i’m new to this hypothyroid problem. I was diagnosed a few months back after having my daughter. started out on levothyroxine .075mg but they just increased it to .088mg. i experience zapping pains in limbs, muscle cramping & twitching. 

• Posted

“But I accept that I have to make allowances and I don't let it get me down.”

No you don’t have to accept this or make allowances, both of you deserve to be treated as an individual and treated for your individual symptoms…the aches and pains you are experiencing are quite common and should be addressed your doctor who should be treating you for your Symptoms and not just your blood tests

I will stress that I am not medically qualified and that what I say is my opinion, any treatment should be always undertaken with the advice and guidance of a qualified person.

It is my guessthat you may be suffering from myopathies (the medical term for diseases that affect skeletal muscle which can be caused by the thyroid complaint). As you get your treatment right this should ease and can and does go away. If All your meds are correct you may have to be referred to a rheumatologist.

Some doctors tend to just look at the result of the TSH level but should test for TSH,T3,T4, B12 and others to ensure all your levels are correct, they have to treat the symptoms not the rely on just the blood results. Of course this tests can be expensive but if you are still suffering from symptoms you must insist that they are carried out

As I keep saying you don’t have to “Accept the symptoms you are getting. research everything you can find out what are the Normal levels discuses if added T3 medication could help take what you find to your doc…help them to help you…don’t accept anything you should be expecting the best treatment and continuous work to get you as near to 100% as possible the link attached may help with your questions about the muscle pain.

Please don’t sit back and accept less that 100% effort to help you get back to normal. I have found out so much from reading everything I can. How to eat the right foods, how to do the correct exercise, how and when to take my medication, what foods to avoid, what other medication clash with mine.

Don’t forget Knowledge is Power.

:mrgreen:

• Posted

Hi

i have been on levothyroxine fir 9 years with no problems. I am presently experiencing muscle pain/ stiffness in my joints in varying degrees. At worst unbearable at best uncomfortable. Effected areas are gluteus, hips adductors always, shoulders and back of knees. After sitting in one position for a time I am so stiff in the hips it is ridiculous. Once I get moving they free up. Do you think it may be the medication ? Appreciate your thoughts as it's gone on for three months 

• Posted

Hi I am interested in the link you said was provided but I do not see it.
    • Posted

I can definately relate to the backs of the knees, If you fill a cloth bag with rice, like a large bean bag as hot as you can stand it (in the microwave) and take two advils when you feel a pain begining It should ease/hualt the pain. Ice also helps as a substitute, but not as well. A masage helps as well, though odly enough it seems to have little effect when you masage yourself.
    • Posted

Also, I don't know about levothyroxine, but I have been explained that the Synthroid medication replecates the exact molicult normaly released by the body. Aswell, my pains have always occured more frequently when I forget my pill, or need a dosage increase, so it is a symptom of the disease itself, not the medication.
  • Posted

I was miserable for a long time and did not realize that my increasing aches and pains in my joints and tendons were not due to age, sports, injury, early arthritis, bad shoes...pretty soon I could not climb stairs or rise from chairs with out huge effort and I felt like I was 100 years old. My doctor told me I was depressed and recommended I walk for 5 minutes a day! I did not feel depressed, just in pain. Oops I forgot to say that I had already been diagnosed with Hashimotos 16 years hence and was taking synthroid. So my husband insisted that I go to an endocrinologist and he listened to me and said that I was under medicated and had a serious case of hashimotos and needed to be given t-3 and t-4 not just t-4 (synthroid only has t-4) so he prescribed ARMOUR which has both t-3 and t-4. The first day I could feel that I was going to get better and with each increasing day I felt better. I never thought that I could recover. It was like going to the fountain of youth! I have my life back I am so happy again. My body is not like a boulder that I can hardly bare any more.
    • Posted

Just joined and am experiencing same achiness...ive been hypo for 17 years...pretty stable until last year when tsh level changed...dr. underprescribed levo and i could barely get out of bed...finally, got tested and back up on higher level of Levo but have been experiencing terrible muscle pain in shoulders, back and one knee. Feet hurt, today i felt very old. Hips dont like me either. What is going on....i had been fairly active and now have gained 39 lbs since my thyroid bottomed out again. Should i be asking my endo for more tests? What about vitamins?
  • Posted

Hello

I have been aching and struggling to enjoy walking, or any physical activity for more than two years. My feet swell easily, my eyes are sore and I forget so much. Life has been difficult and I was always told that I suffered from stress ( I was even prescribed pills but decided that if this was stress I could fight it and the side-effects sounded gruesome).

Two weeks ago, when a new doctor joined our surgery, I mentioned my aches and pains to him and he sent me for a blood test. I have Hashimotos. At last I might be taken seriously. On 50g I feel no better and have just been given 100g. pills and a referral to an endocrinologist.

Your description of your body being like a boulder is so like mine. You have given me hope when you say that after taking some pills it was like going to the fountain of youth.

I am keeping my fingers crossed - I can't wait to feel normal again.

Thank you everybody who writes on here and understands what it is like.

• Posted

Hi there. I was diagnosed hypothyroid six weeks ago and told it was autoimmune ( hashimoto`s) last week so this is still all pretty new to me.

I was started on 25mcg Thyroxene and am now up to 100mcg a day as my last TSH was still over 100.

I have to say it was quite a relief to be able to put a name to all the pains and symptoms I have been getting.

I was putting all my feelings down to the menopause, and most of it could be due to that. But I couldn`t work out why I was sooooo tired all the time, gained so much weight (2stone in a year) and my muscles hurt so much when going for a short walk or climbing the stairs.

My skin is so dry that I look as if I have leprosy (SP?).

I could go on and on, but I`m sure you know the rest of the symptoms.

It has helped me so much being able to talk about it to people who know what I am talking about.

Regards Vonnie XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.