Atrophic Vaginitis

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi Everyone!

I'm suffering from AV due to menopause. I can't take estrogen because I have had breast cancer. Does anyone know of a product available that will help that does not have estrogen? I'm miserable! Thanks for any help.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have exactly the same problem and at 55 am not ready to give up my sex life, especially as I am newly remarried! I am actually considering topical oestrogen cream and even though I have had breast cancer I feel my quality of life is being affected.
  • Posted

Hello Ladies,

This problem is much more widespread than people know. I too am post menopausal, have had breast cancer and 55. Oestrogen is not available to me either. I have tried all the vaginal moisturizers available and am now working my way through sexual lubricants. I was told by my GP that there was nothing else she could do. There must be an answer out there! The best thing I have found so far is 'Yes' a lubricant available online from the maufacturers. Just type in Yes! and you will find the website. Please share if you find another answer!

• Posted

Replens which comes in a 35g tube with applicator and last for up to 3 days is very good too. Non hormonal, no oestrogen so safe to use for everyone,

My daughter has gone through an early menopause so I'm constantly searching and researching ways to help her.

• Posted

Hi ladies just a footnote; do have a proper checkup. I assumed that my difficulties were due to my lack of oestrogen post breast cancer but have now found out I have an anterior vaginal wall partial prolapse which needs surgery to correct. My advice would be to eliminate other possibilities as well. I have tried all the vaginal moisturizers and find them ineffective. Lubes work better for me.
  • Posted

It's such a complicated area to comment in, my daughter, in her early 20's was put into an early menopause to try to eliminate other problems she was having. In hospital as I type, scan, cat scan and various tests cannot pinpoint the pain she is having and has had for many years. They are going to try reversing the menopause (!) now to see if it helps......
  • Posted

Hello.

I am sorry to hear of you having breast cancer. I do volunteer with Susan G Komen at times in Wisconsin.

I have also dealt with Atrophic Vaginitis and had heard nothing of it; I was miserable. After a long drawn out series of test etc., my Internal Medicine doctor prescribed an ointment (not the cream) called Triamcinolone! What a 100% relief and disappearance of the spots that were biopsied (for the thought of cancer).

Please if you still suffer from AV, this is the soulution!

I truly hope you get this and find relief.

I pray your breast cancer is in remission and you are a breast cancer survivor to share your story. God bless you.

• Posted

Hello

i just came across your blog.  I have Atrophic Vaginitis and am taking Vagifem 10mg twice a week.......finally the past couple of months feel normal again.  I also dealt with the ECOLI  UTI's. Dr. Gives me CIPRO for that. Haven't had one of those in a couple of months...such a blessing.  I have read on other blogs that many ladies that have Atrophic Vaginitis get these ?? Which explains a lot in my case.  I see that you recommend Triamcinolone.....Do you still and did it help with the discomfort? It has been over a year ago since your post so I thought I would check with you.  I pray I can keep this under control!

i hope you are well!

thank you

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy..

I am hoping you will answer as I am desperate. :-(  For the past 7  months I have had pain and burning inside my vagina and also soreness around the vaginal opening which makes it difficult to sit. My vagina and labia are very dry.  I am in constant pain around the clock.

Finally, after about ten doctor visits (varying doctors) I was prescribed vagifem.  I took it daily for two weeks and now twice per week.  I have been doing this for 5 weeks now and have had no relief.  

Can you please tell me in more detail what your symptoms were and how long it took for the vagifem to work for you?

Thank you so much Wendy.  I really need some support right now as I am so depressed over this, have anxiety and feel like my life has been robbed from me.

I am so happy you have found relief with Vagifem

Blessings,

Lisa

• Posted

Hello Lisa

My heart goes out to you.....I hear your pain.....hang in there girl!!.... sometimes it takes longer to feel normal again.  I was diagnosed by my GYN Doctor almost two years ago that I had this Atrophic Vaginitis....thinning of the vaginal walls and recommended then to take Vagifem.....however I did not do that as I had no symptoms.......unfortunately I had another UTI months later...after UTI, I still felt like I had one until I found out that it was due to the AV.....ugh!! My doctor had me use estrogen cream on the outside then had to use on inside for 14 days then started the Vagifem 2 X a week.....it took awhile for the uncomfortable feeling to go away and feel normal again....almost 2 months.  I have been on Vagifem for over 6 months now and actually feel normal.....there is hope Lisa.  I was just as you are now and worried that I would have to feel that discomfort for good!!  After I started to feel better I made a mistake and cut back on the Vagifem and started to feel discomfort again....needless to say I went right back on Vagifem.  I have GYN appointment next week so I have questions like is there another more natural med or cream instead of the Vagifem.  I will let you know what he says.  Before I was told I had this I never heard of AV.  Unfortunately  it has also affected intimacy with my husband sad.  

I hope this helps .  Let's keep in touch.

Blessings,

Wendy

are you in the US?

• Posted

Lisa, I TOTALLY understand. Lack of anwsers from drs add to depression. Did any of the drs do an exam? I love research; I speak medical too - end up  looking for info in medical journals both US and Europe. Are you sexually active? Menopause? too many women suffer in silence; yet also suffer from lack of info. your symptoms sound very familar. Not just my experience but I am racking my brain trying to recall if read something about this. Self-exam may be helpful. OH - when my ex & I first began having sex, I went from yeast infection to bacterial infection to yeast... miserable- dryness, irritated feeling...I finally asked one of the gyno drs worked with. end result- i could only use Dove soap; he used soaps like Dial, Zest... perfumed. so once he switched to Dove... months of worry & discomfort only to find it was his soap....

• Posted

Hi Lisa

?I hope things are working out for you.  For what felt like all of 2016 I suffered from UTI's which my GP practice nurse assumed was to do with my diabetes.  So I went through anti-biotic after anti-biotic all last year but nothing seemed to work except Cepalexin which whilst it cures the UTI for a while causes Thrush. Anyway, my actual doctor decided to see me, did an internal and told me I have Thrush and VA.  This was in December 2016.  She put me on Vagifem.  All seem well for about 5 weeks then I started getting real bad pain down below. A real dull painful ache.  I went back and she changed me to Esteroil Cream.  This seemed to be working so well until about 3 weeks ago when I noticed blood spotting when I went to the loo.  Very small amount and only lasted 3 days on first pee in the morning. I ignored it for a while but about a week ago I noticed another spotting.  Just the one but enough to make me contact my GP.  I am now scheduled in for a Post Menopausal Bleeding clinic appointment this Thursday.  I am terrified in case it is cancer of the womb.  But I can't help but think its the Esteroil cream causing it (I am 60 and haven't had a period in many many years and never had children).  The other odd thing is that each bleed has been after I have used the Canesten cream for the Thrush.  Its all so alarming.  I know I don't want the transvaginal ultrasound as I am not sexually active and currently suffering with another UTI and Thrush.  So I am going to ask for an abdominal ultrasound instead (I hope they will agree) and if that shows anything suspect then I intend to ask for an MRI.  The failsafe is to ask for a hysterectomy.  Has anyone suffered like me?

• Posted

Hello Lisa

i haven't heard from you in awhile and have been wondering how you are.  I am hoping maybe no news from you Means that you have relief.  Please let us know how you are doing....has the Vagifem finally helped?

Would love to hear from you.

best,

Wendy

• Posted

Boots Vaginal Moisturising Gel, has really helped me and I am now just using it 1x a week as a safety net. I was on Ovestin and gradually weaned myself off it, after instructions from the gynaecologist, unless the AV symptoms return
  • Posted

I had breast cancer and my oncologist said it was ok to use Vagifem.
  • Posted

I have a "cause" based on my experience down the menopasue road. I went from embarassed to "why am I JUST finding this out; I know more about erectile dysfunction than my own vagina?" 

I had a complete hysterectomy 9 yrs ago. I had been on HRT but stopped last year bc $; i was on biosynthetic cream which ins did not cover. I saw a "top" OB/Gyn when experienced painful intercourse. Dr exmined me, said something about vaginal wall, then concluded the pain was from a cramp in my pelvis and gave me steriod shot. of course, it did not work. It was the end of the marriage & 'out of sight..." BUT I did stumble across the real cause; vaginal atrophy. As time passed, I knew I was a shrinking violet; also shrinking was my self-esteem. I spoke with yet another doctor; again given topical estrogen cream. SOMEHOW, I stumbled on another solution. Vaginal dilators. I tried numerous lubricants which added to dryness post-use. "Wet" lubricant was recommended to use w dilators; no side effects. I was beginning to search for long-term alternatives when I noticed a bulge... 9 years, multiple health care providers; not ONE mentioned necessity of estrogen vaginally! Now, vaginal atrophy least of worries. Years ago, friend had prolapsed uterus. I NEVER heard an utterance from drs or friends about the complications from thinning walls. It is embarrassing & gross; bulge is not my bladder; its my rectum. I have had to ask friends for help since linited activity & pain is unreal. I am not shy, I have been around medical profession all my life, I worked on an OB/Gyn hosp floor, understand sexuality as part of being human... Its sad how lacking info is until face issues of atrophy. Estrogen and using lubricants is about it I believe. read study found DHEA use improved symptopms. Just read for camcer pts w atrophy, use of vibrating dilators increase blood flow to vaginal tissue making it healthier. I am going to keep digging for more info; other countries often have other options as alt medicine is accepted. Good Luck!

• Posted

I am getting in on the end of these posts and it may not be relevant anymore. I am 59 years old and a 10 year breast cancer ssurvivor. My vaginal atropy has been getting worse as time goes on. The vaginal creams were helping minimally but not at all anymore. My gynocologist told me about the Mona Lisa Laser treatment that basically will reverse the atrophy. There are 3 five minute treatments which cause new blood vessels and tissue to form, and then its a once a year treatment to maintain. I finally have some hope. The only problem is it is new (FDA approved in 2014) so insurance does not cover. So I am struggling with the finance of it, and determining if this is something I really should do for myself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.